Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

Houston BS Thread

Closed Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-11-2013, 05:50 PM   #12861
Señor Member
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery

bought my bitch some new kicks for our anniversary

Old 06-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #12862
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluePearlShark99 View Post

bought my bitch some new kicks for our anniversary
Looks good! What size tires you get?

Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #12863
Señor Member
BluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluePearlShark99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
BluePearlShark99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Looks good! What size tires you get?
thanks 265/75r16

Old 06-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #12864
The Diggler
Mike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMike0341 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 2/8 Wpns Co, 1/6 A Co, 2D MLG G3 TRT
Name: Mike
Mike0341's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
I'm on icon reservoir coilovers and the old style 2.0 reservoir rear shocks, with the toytec 1.5'' TSB AAL. at the time that i bought it all, it was the most complete package icon made, less the billit UCAs, which had just come out. Other front goodies are light racing UCAs (i rebuilt them with the new style ball joints, boots, and bushings), spindle gussets, and custom lower control arm skids. and for anyone wondering, the LR UCAs have more articulation than the extended travel coilovers need. i have pictoral evidence i can post later if you want.

It's a great dual purpose setup. does well at speed, and has a ton of articulation for rocks.

For my purposes however, it is outdated. I have been 110% happy with it, and would buy it again for another mid travel build. but like i said, i'm working on moving on to the next stage. it'll be an off the shelf front 4x4 LT setup, and i'll build the rear myself with the bed cage and all.

The key to being able to really wheel a truck like this with a new performance suspension is to keep it low. I'm only at about an inch of lift, if that. fast or slow wheeling, i've always found that low center of gravity to be far more useful than the extra inch or so of lift. a lot safer, and a lot smoother, with a better drop/compression ratio.

Tire size is not dependent on lift. the same tire you run with a 3-3.5'' lift will fit on a stock height truck. the suspension cycles through the same space regardless of lift, so your ride height will not determine the size tire you can run.

Yea i agree that at speed that its good to have it low and a wide stance. I just cant afford a LA kit at the moment and cant justify the expense to my wife lol. My budget is about 4k but i would love to stay lower and still be able to wheel the crap out of the truck with minimal breakage.

I have looked into Icon and the price seems to be around the same as fox. After i lift i then need to save for armor and i already know im buying rock sliders first and then the front/back.

Wouldnt mind at some point getting everything setup with a rooftop tent and all. The added weight will turn the 3" lift into a 2 1/2 inch lift (give or take a 1/4) .

I look forward to seeing it all come together though. My last truck only got 9-12 mpg so it sucked as a camping/hunting vehicle. Hopefully this will be a nice medium.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #12865
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0341 View Post
Yea i agree that at speed that its good to have it low and a wide stance. I just cant afford a LA kit at the moment and cant justify the expense to my wife lol. My budget is about 4k but i would love to stay lower and still be able to wheel the crap out of the truck with minimal breakage.

I have looked into Icon and the price seems to be around the same as fox. After i lift i then need to save for armor and i already know im buying rock sliders first and then the front/back.

Wouldnt mind at some point getting everything setup with a rooftop tent and all. The added weight will turn the 3" lift into a 2 1/2 inch lift (give or take a 1/4) .

I look forward to seeing it all come together though. My last truck only got 9-12 mpg so it sucked as a camping/hunting vehicle. Hopefully this will be a nice medium.
Low is the way to go. obviously, a 3'' lift will suit some better than a 1'', and vise-versa. you just have to judge your driving style and ability and the situations you may encounter.

here's the general breakdown for low versus high lifts (high meaning 3'', not 6''), for crawling and prerunning.

Low lift
Rocks: tons of drop to keep all of you tires on the ground longer
prerunning: Low COG keeps you safe and yields great handling

high lift
Rocks: slightly better ground clearance
prerunning: you have more compression to soak up the really big hits.

my take on it:
Rocks: a higher lift may be better for a newer wheeler, because the extra inch or two of clearance will help getting hung up on certain places while the driver is learning the truck. just make sure to be extra careful on off camber trails. once the driver becomes more advanced, i prefer a lower sitting truck (to a point obviously.....you do still need ground clearance). a more experienced driver will know a lot about line choice and various offroad driving techniques. and with the lower COG, a more advanced driver can manipulate the truck in a way that may be dangerous with a higher COG truck.

Prerunning: this is a lot harder to lay out than rock crawling. It's harder to generalize, because crawling is all about clearance, travel, and COG, while the type of suspension you have really doesn't matter. now with high speed driving, it 100% matters what style suspension you have and how it's set up.

as for the mileage, if you keep the roof free of any racks (other than the OEM), and keep the roof top tent level with, or below the cab, your mileage really won't change. wind resistance is the enemy of these trucks and their mileage far more than weight is. weight just affects the acceleration.

sorry for all of these long posts in y'alls thread. i hope the're informative, and not just me rambling on.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #12866
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Jon and Kase, your trucks are looking good.

I've always loved the newer toyota wheels on the 1st gens

Old 06-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #12867
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Low is the way to go. obviously, a 3'' lift will suit some better than a 1'', and vise-versa. you just have to judge your driving style and ability and the situations you may encounter.

here's the general breakdown for low versus high lifts (high meaning 3'', not 6''), for crawling and prerunning.

Low lift
Rocks: tons of drop to keep all of you tires on the ground longer
prerunning: Low COG keeps you safe and yields great handling

high lift
Rocks: slightly better ground clearance
prerunning: you have more compression to soak up the really big hits.

my take on it:
Rocks: a higher lift may be better for a newer wheeler, because the extra inch or two of clearance will help getting hung up on certain places while the driver is learning the truck. just make sure to be extra careful on off camber trails. once the driver becomes more advanced, i prefer a lower sitting truck (to a point obviously.....you do still need ground clearance). a more experienced driver will know a lot about line choice and various offroad driving techniques. and with the lower COG, a more advanced driver can manipulate the truck in a way that may be dangerous with a higher COG truck.

Prerunning: this is a lot harder to lay out than rock crawling. It's harder to generalize, because crawling is all about clearance, travel, and COG, while the type of suspension you have really doesn't matter. now with high speed driving, it 100% matters what style suspension you have and how it's set up.

as for the mileage, if you keep the roof free of any racks (other than the OEM), and keep the roof top tent level with, or below the cab, your mileage really won't change. wind resistance is the enemy of these trucks and their mileage far more than weight is. weight just affects the acceleration.

sorry for all of these long posts in y'alls thread. i hope the're informative, and not just me rambling on.
Very informative Colin... Glad you're posting in here good to see a different perspective in things

Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #12868
Tortoise*
IndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedIndigoTac07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: AJ
IndigoTac07's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed^^

Im enjoying these. Learning something for once lol

Old 06-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #12869
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Snorks
Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone have the spare tire tools they want to give away?

Old 06-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #12870
Amazon or eBay perhaps??? If not time for some redneck custom shit brah

Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 AM   #12873
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post

F...M...L... for real. I can't sleep, it's like my brain is trolling my body

*Yawn, yawn, yawn.. lay down.. wide awake*

*Yawn, yawn, yawn, lay down, wide awake, play with phone for 2 hours..*

I am gonna make a CL ad for some sedative so I can tranquilize myself tonight

Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 AM   #12874
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
about the same price at 4wp and you can avoid shipping costs doing their site to store ordering.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #12875
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
And that includes the black plastic bezel they sit in? Awesome! Thanks lyndall!
I think... call the trdparts4u folks to find out.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 AM   #12876
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Snorks
Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
There's a coupon on here for them also.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:06 AM   #12877
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
racks (other than the OEM), and keep the roof top tent level with, or below the cab, your mileage really won't change. wind resistance is the enemy of these trucks and their mileage far more than weight is. weight just affects the acceleration.
Shit!! I knew that was it! My truck is like 7 foot tall with the rsck and basket! Might have to change that now

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #12878
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anyone have any idea where to get the foglight kit for the bumper im getting? ARB has a kit but its like $300 and thats crazy for some foglights and a switch

Attachment 217353

no way in hell am i spending $300 for some plastic and foglights
Make your own, the ARB lights break all the time. ARB is nice enough to send me replacements whenever I call, but at some point you just get tired of replacing them because cold mud hit them when they were on and they cracked.

New ones are supposed to be improved, but my wife cracked them grocery getting. not sure how?

Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #12879
--- --- --- - ----
LEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shedLEX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LEX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And that includes the black plastic bezel they sit in? Awesome! Thanks lyndall!

That's what I ordered when I got my bumper and it does not come with the bezel.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #12880
Man, Myth, Legend

bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEX View Post
That's what I ordered when I got my bumper and it does not come with the bezel.
lame. where do you get the bezel?

Closed Thread

Products Discussed in this Thread