Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

Houston BS Thread

Closed Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2013, 11:23 PM   #14381
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rylan
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Whats the price range on apartments. Think i could get a 1 bedroom for around $600?
Me and my girlfriend have a nice apartment for $648 a month but depending on electric and water usage, you are realistically looking at $700+ (especially in Texas heat). You also need to factor in gas, food, and any other luxuries you want.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:32 PM   #14382
Kavik
Kavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shedKavik is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Seems do-able. I know i wouldnt have as much money to blow but i figure if i can find a job at $10/hr and work 40hrs/week then that would be enough to get by and pay for rent and stuff.

Might even apply to work at a dealership and get on as an apprentice mechanic since theyll pay for schooling most of the time.
It is do-able, just have to be careful with your finances. Getting a girlfriend to split rent and food helps even more. lol

Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #14383
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well i honestly wouldnt mind getting a job that makes me work like 50+ hrs/week just so i stay busy at work rather than going home, getting bored and finding ways to spend money lol.

Hopefully il be able to find a gf since il be living in a town with more than 3,000 people ! Lol
I work shipping in a warehouse and they guarantee 40 hrs a week plus you can get overtime anytime you want. That is why I recommended it. If you wanna work, you can put in 50 hr weeks easy like I do.

Old 07-16-2013, 11:47 PM   #14384
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery

Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 PM   #14385
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm. Whats the pay like and what kinda work is it
It is repetitive work, It starts out at the minimum of $10 an hour, but my company gives a 50 cent raise every three months for a year and then it goes by a percentage after that. So if you started at $10, you would be at $12 after working there a year. I like the work, keeps you busy so the day doesn't drag on, I do my work and then I can choose to get overtime or I can just leave.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:23 AM   #14386
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I'd get tranq'd.. Ain't sleeping otherwise

Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #14387
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmm. Pays not that great.
For our age, I would say it is pretty damn good.

Old 07-17-2013, 01:17 AM   #14388
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I wish I'd get tranq'd.. Ain't sleeping otherwise
You and I both man. On a side note, it'll be Icons on all four corners.

Quote:
I wouldnt work for anything less than $10/hr
Ive been blessed with great jobs so far tho so maybe im just spoiled but ima try to get on as a mechanic or tech at NTB. They make like $13/hr
Take those six months you have rent free and go to community college and bust ass. Seriously. If you want a job that makes killer money, enroll in a Process Technology program. Top 10% usually get hired on before the degree is completed, and ~$25/hr is a hell of a lot better than $10. Within two or three years you're making $35/hr and making close to a hundred grand with minimal overtime.

On the other hand, Kavik is onto something. Working in a warehouse and making your bones in logistics can pay off within a short amount of time if you're with the right company. I know several people who are warehouse and they make bank. Isn't the most glorious of jobs, but the one at the right place can land you a six figure salary.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #14389
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
I leave the bs thread for a day or two and there's an Asian invasion lol
You try to help someone out by saving them from a sweat shop and they start taking semi nude pictures of themselves! !

Quote:
Serious question, anyone know of a good auto shop to apply at around the katy area?

Long story short= Mom is moving fast as hell and is listing house for sale. I get 6 months rent free to find an apartment and job around the katy area. So yea

Thinking about applying at Pep Boys or NTB. Anyone hiring or got recommendations? Apartment recommendations as well?
I have a buddy that added 4 more rooms to the back side of his house that he rents out to people. The one room that has its own bath room I think he is charging 400? All bills paid! And the other 3 are just rooms that share a bathroom. Not in kattybut close. Sw houston

Old 07-17-2013, 05:39 AM   #14390
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Snorks
Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Serious question, anyone know of a good auto shop to apply at around the katy area?

Long story short= Mom is moving fast as hell and is listing house for sale. I get 6 months rent free to find an apartment and job around the katy area. So yea

Thinking about applying at Pep Boys or NTB. Anyone hiring or got recommendations? Apartment recommendations as well?
Why Katy?

Probably gonna cost more to live there.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #14391
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkie View Post
Why Katy?

Probably gonna cost more to live there.
True statement, move to Pasadena or Baytown, plenty of shit there for the price you want, just take a gun with you everywhere.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:07 AM   #14392
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
The only sucky part about working in the office.. no rain out

Old 07-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #14393
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
True statement, move to Pasadena or Baytown, plenty of shit there for the price you want, just take a gun with you everywhere.
Baytown? Jesus. Maybe he can go to the Limelight while he's at it lol

Pasadena/Deer Park has some decent places.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #14394
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Idc anymore about making bank when i get older. I borrowed my friends engineering books and tried getting into em but wanted to kill myself with every word.

Im just gonna accept it that ima be a mechanic for a living.
That's a terrible way to think. You should be what you want to be, having a job and going to school isn't easy but just "accepting" that you will be a mechanic is giving up too easy.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:51 AM   #14395
Senior Injector

Wow.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:11 AM   #14396
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well i enjoy working on cars and spend most of my free time reading about engines and working on mine so im okay with it. Id enjoy being a mechanic. Money may be meh but they always say that if you enjoy your job then you never work a day in your life so i think its worth it
Trust me, it is way different than working on your vehicles, fixing other peoples boring daily drivers won't bring much excitement and satisfaction to the table.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:15 AM   #14397
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Idc anymore about making bank when i get older. I borrowed my friends engineering books and tried getting into em but wanted to kill myself with every word.

Im just gonna accept it that ima be a mechanic for a living.
I majored in Mechanical Engineering at A&M for two years. Loved the engineering classes, did awesome at them. I don't recall them really using books all that much for the most part - I wouldn't worry too much about being bored by engineering texts.

Personally I ended up having trouble forcing myself through the Calculus classes. I do great at math as long as I can relate it to something, but I have a terrible memory so have to really work at memorizing formulas.

Really regret not just pushing through it. Ended up changing majors a few times and never really finding anything else that was terribly interesting to me, then my college career just kind of petered out (fewer and fewer hours, until I just quit entirely).

I make a decent living as a programmer now and enjoy what I do for the most part, but could be making a lot more (and likely still enjoying what I do at least as much) as an Engineer. It's enough that we have a decent house in a decent neighborhood and my wife is able to stay home and raise our daughter, but at the end of the day we have to sacrifice having the money to buy a lot of fun toys, take vacations, etc. We have a good life and I'm thankful for what we have, but it sure would be nice to be able to have some of the fun / experiences the additional money would bring.

Moral of the story: don't sell yourself short on the long term for the want of not having to endure something boring for a few semesters.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #14398
Massive Member
grueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrueinthebox is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
grueinthebox's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well i enjoy working on cars and spend most of my free time reading about engines and working on mine so im okay with it. Id enjoy being a mechanic. Money may be meh but they always say that if you enjoy your job then you never work a day in your life so i think its worth it
Whoever said that is full of shit. I like fucking, but I wouldn't want to be a gigolo. Having to do something whether you're in the mood to do it or not takes the fun out of it, regardless of what it is.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #14399
Kavik
Kavik's Tacoma Gallery
That is pretty good advice, I can relate to having problems with math that I can't really apply it to anything.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #14400
Senior Injector

Quote:
There is a saying that goes something like "Don't depend on your passion for your job because it'll become a job and not a passion". I'm sure there are other variants on that theme, but I think it's true.

It's why I never became a porn star.

Something else too, being a mechanic now may seem easy enough to get into and the money might even be decent for a 19-y/o kid, but when you have a family, being a mechanic won't seem so attractive. Just some food for thought.

Closed Thread

Products Discussed in this Thread