Notices

Mild off-roading in Temple/Belton/Moody area

Old 05-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Tacoma Addict
Nubes has a spectacular aura aboutNubes has a spectacular aura about

Name: Chris
Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
Mild off-roading in Temple/Belton/Moody area

Well a few years ago a friend of mine took me to a park that he called "The logjam." I remember it as having mostly deeps ruts and water holes. I think the majority of people who go there, go to fish because it is on the Leon River by Belton Lake. Also it looks like its a place where people go mudding after a little rain. Here recently, I have had a bug to do something besides driving on pavement . So anyway I asked my friend how to get there and looked online to try and find out where it was. Finally I got enough info to be able to stick a location in my GPS and follow it. It was about a 30 minute drive for me coming from Temple. If anyone is interested in finding this place, it is actually called "Horseshoe Bend", Wildlife Management Area. To find it just google search "Meador Grove Rd, Moody Tx" and at the end of that road you will run into the park. I am still new at off-roading so I didn't go balls to the wall and hit every mud hole and rut I saw lol (especially in a prerunner ). I am glad I had a locker though, if I didn't I probably would have gotten stuck at least once or twice, but with careful driving and maybe when it dry's out more a straight 2wd probably wouldn't have a hard time. I was in there for little over an hour and still didn't get to explore all of it, maybe next time I'll go further back and see more interesting stuff...But here is what you really care about...Pictures!

Entrance to the park:

About a quarter mile drive down the dirt road with trees on both sides and you will come to this fork:

I took the right fork first. Here is the first mud hole I came to, thankfully there was a bybass on the side lol.

End of the line for this fork, hill drops off down to the river and dead ends.

Truck at the top of said hill.

Shot of the river/bottom of the hill.

There was a small place to turn around at the top of the hill where others had pushed down the shrubs/grass etc. This pic just shows the trees after I turned around to head back to the fork.

Approaching the first mud hole again, just around the corner to the right.

Small climb with ruts and rocks, actually mad my tire spin out just a little when driving over one of the rocks. Slick I guess

The following pictures are from taking the left fork from the second picture above.

Yet another fork, I think that ultimately both of these road intersect but didn't get to fully explore this side.

Right fork from above pic.

I turned around right after this pic and went back out of the park, but there is still some more exploring left to do and maybe even a few more fun obstacles. That was my little adventure for the day, hope you enjoyed the photos.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a great time. I love exploring. Shoot some more next time you go!
Old 05-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #3
Tacoma Addict

Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
Yea it was fun. My front flaps and antenna did not like it though, hitting all kinds of stuff lol.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:00 AM   #4
First class awesome
CrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrackerJackMack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
CrackerJackMack's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to CrackerJackMack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubes View Post
Yea it was fun. My front flaps and antenna did not like it though, hitting all kinds of stuff lol.
Ditch those already Great shots. Why does the entrance to the park say no off road vehicles but then clearly it's not improved roads?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #5
Tacoma Addict

Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
lol yea I have the husky flaps sitting on my table, havn't put em on yet...From my best guess I think they don't want ATV's and dirtbikes running around maybe? I dunno, but it's not exactly like they patrol the park or anything. There is just a sign in/out sheet when you go in and nobody was at the entrance. Just a goose neck trailer off to the side probly with a guy in it who just opens and closes the park and probly might come look for you if you never signed out lol?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
Tacoma Addict

Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormfood View Post
Thanks for sharing, great pics!
Thanks, it was fun.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
That looks like it woulda been a good time if you were 4x4 or had somebody else to pull you out if you got stuck
Old 05-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
that place looks like a beginner off road park, just what im looking for! though it'd be kinda far for me to go there, but if i do, we should go together
Old 05-23-2012, 03:02 PM   #10
Tacoma Addict

Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be going back again sometime, kinda want to see what it looks like once it drys out. But yea if you ever find your way further south, it would be nice to have someone else out there to pull me out if I get stuck lol.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
oso is on a distinguished road
oso's Tacoma Gallery
Ill probably head down there this weekend just for fun if you guys decide we can go as a little pack on Saturday im about 2 hrs away I think it will be fun. I've never offwheel before so I think this would be a good learning experience. Andby he way thanks for those pics they look great is nice knowing people are looking for trails in texas
Old 05-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
^^^take pics if yall go
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
Tacoma Addict

Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
Yea man, if your gonna make the trip I'll go back out there this Saturday. What time you thinking? I don't have anything planned yet so whatever works for you.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
aznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shedaznutx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aznutx's Tacoma Gallery
im a little busy this weekend but if there's trails like those would be perfect for me, somethign fun and not daunting with alot of damage possible stuff
Old 05-23-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
oso's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to get my cousin to go we both have Tacomas 4x4 and if we can come
Down it will be
Around 11sh "hope it rains" hope is a good trail
Old 05-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #16
Tacoma Addict

Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso View Post
I'm trying to get my cousin to go we both have Tacomas 4x4 and if we can come
Down it will be
Around 11sh "hope it rains" hope is a good trail
Cool man, see ya at the entrance around 11.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #17
J Hoss is on a distinguished road

Name: Justin
J Hoss's Tacoma Gallery
cool pics!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
oso's Tacoma Gallery
R u still up for tomorrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubes View Post
Cool man, see ya at the entrance around 11.
If so pm your number so we can keep intouch when I'm heading down there
Trying to see what time I can do it
Old 05-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Christ-a-licious
Battle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shedBattle Pope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 15-6'rs
Name: Korben
Battle Pope's Tacoma Gallery
NICE! I wanna go nao.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #20
Tacoma Addict

Nubes's Tacoma Gallery
Lol we had a fun time. I'll post pics once I get home. Well looks oso was banned from going back there though. The old man attendant (probly 60s or 70s) saw oso's truck and was pissed off, I thought he was gonna have a heart attack. Lol I'll post more details later.