1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tough Mudder

Discussion in 'Texas' started by tex, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jun 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM
    tex

tex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Its a 12 mile race in Austin on October 6th and 7th. It supports the wounded warrior project. My brother and I are talking about doing this and we would like to get a team together. Also the entry fee goes down the more people in your team. After reading about the course this is not something you can just show up for and expect to finish. I would expect a certain amount of training/preparing will need to be done.
    Let me know if anyone would like to join me. It supports a great cause and it might help motivate some of us out of shape drinkers to drop a few pounds.
    http://toughmudder.com/

Video from the Dallas race in April.
    http://toughmudder.com/videos/texas-dallas-2012/

2. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:01 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    I'm currently injured but I do those all the time. I ran the one in Austin last year and qualified for the Worlds Toughest Mudder 24 hour race. It's definitely not something you can just sign up and do. You'll need to train for it.

That being said, the chances of you running the entire thing are not high. I barely finished that course in under 2 hours last year and I ran the whole time. Run/jog what you can but expect to walk some. It's a fantastic experience and you'll definitely enjoy it.

You should think about doing one of the shorter events first if you've not done an adventure race like that. I've done Warrior Dash, Fitness Freak, and Jail Break.

Jailbreak is significantly easier than Tough Mudder but the idea is similar. Here's what you're in for. I got last year's race on GoPro. PS: It rained the night before and the course was 100% mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9mJkDdH_o

3. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:18 PM
    tex

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I have been going to the gym 4-5 times a week for the last 3 months. I am in the best shape of my life but I know I can improve. Been focusing on strength training with some cardio.
    In order to start training for this I will start going to gym twice a day and do cardio for an hour before work and strength during the day. There are some workout routines I have found that should simulate some of the obstacles.
    I think in about a week from now I will attempt to run about 5 miles to make sure I can atleast endure that distance.
    I feel good I could do this race now but now I have a much better chance to finish if I change my workout a little.

4. Jun 12, 2012 at 12:54 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    These types of events are interesting. You'll see the huge strong guys walking and you wont see the thinner/runner guys at all because they'll be too far ahead. Here's the breakdown.

1) Being a good distance runner will help you finish this race quickly.
    2) Being good at the obstacles will ensure you can physically do everything albeit at a slow pace.
    3) Cobine 1 and 2 and you'll win.

That's a long way to say that the main thing you should focus on is the running aspect of it. Certainly don't ignore the strength but I mean think about it; the difference between being good at the obstacles and not at all is probably 15-20 minutes. The difference between running the whole thing vs walking is probably 2 hours.

5. Jun 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

6. Jun 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM
    tex

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    That is awesome you signed up. I need to confirm with my brother to make sure he is in. I'm not really a distance runner but can do a mile or more and a resistance workout in the same session. Going to start running for an hour in the morning and cross fit type of exercises in the afternoon.

7. Jun 12, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    nelson18matt

nelson18matt Well-Known Member

Member:
    Goodyear, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2004 Long Travel Tacoma
    *SOLD*

Products Discussed in

To Top