Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

Tough Mudder

Old 06-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Tough Mudder

Its a 12 mile race in Austin on October 6th and 7th. It supports the wounded warrior project. My brother and I are talking about doing this and we would like to get a team together. Also the entry fee goes down the more people in your team. After reading about the course this is not something you can just show up for and expect to finish. I would expect a certain amount of training/preparing will need to be done.
Let me know if anyone would like to join me. It supports a great cause and it might help motivate some of us out of shape drinkers to drop a few pounds.
http://toughmudder.com/

Video from the Dallas race in April.
http://toughmudder.com/videos/texas-dallas-2012/
Old 06-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I'm currently injured but I do those all the time. I ran the one in Austin last year and qualified for the Worlds Toughest Mudder 24 hour race. It's definitely not something you can just sign up and do. You'll need to train for it.

That being said, the chances of you running the entire thing are not high. I barely finished that course in under 2 hours last year and I ran the whole time. Run/jog what you can but expect to walk some. It's a fantastic experience and you'll definitely enjoy it.

You should think about doing one of the shorter events first if you've not done an adventure race like that. I've done Warrior Dash, Fitness Freak, and Jail Break.

Jailbreak is significantly easier than Tough Mudder but the idea is similar. Here's what you're in for. I got last year's race on GoPro. PS: It rained the night before and the course was 100% mud.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9mJkDdH_o
Old 06-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tex's Tacoma Gallery
I have been going to the gym 4-5 times a week for the last 3 months. I am in the best shape of my life but I know I can improve. Been focusing on strength training with some cardio.
In order to start training for this I will start going to gym twice a day and do cardio for an hour before work and strength during the day. There are some workout routines I have found that should simulate some of the obstacles.
I think in about a week from now I will attempt to run about 5 miles to make sure I can atleast endure that distance.
I feel good I could do this race now but now I have a much better chance to finish if I change my workout a little.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
These types of events are interesting. You'll see the huge strong guys walking and you wont see the thinner/runner guys at all because they'll be too far ahead. Here's the breakdown.

1) Being a good distance runner will help you finish this race quickly.
2) Being good at the obstacles will ensure you can physically do everything albeit at a slow pace.
3) Cobine 1 and 2 and you'll win.

That's a long way to say that the main thing you should focus on is the running aspect of it. Certainly don't ignore the strength but I mean think about it; the difference between being good at the obstacles and not at all is probably 15-20 minutes. The difference between running the whole thing vs walking is probably 2 hours.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #5
I phucking hate people >:(
ink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shedink junky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 1st Civ Div
Name: TACO LOVER
ink junky's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=tex;5228322]Its a 12 mile race in Austin on October 6th and 7th. It supports the wounded warrior project. My brother and I are talking about doing this and we would like to get a team together. Also the entry fee goes down the more people in your team. After reading about the course this is not something you can just show up for and expect to finish. I would expect a certain amount of training/preparing will need to be done.
Let me know if anyone would like to join me. It supports a great cause and it might help motivate some of us out of shape drinkers to drop a few pounds.
http://toughmudder.com/

Video from the Dallas race in April.
http://toughmudder.com/videos/texas-dallas-2012/[/QUOTE]

I saw the link and clicked and all of a sudden I am $135 poorer

I registered and bought my spot for the Saturday 9 am start.

I shoulda read your post about joining you and your bro, but I got a little excited and here I am all signed up.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #6

tex's Tacoma Gallery
That is awesome you signed up. I need to confirm with my brother to make sure he is in. I'm not really a distance runner but can do a mile or more and a resistance workout in the same session. Going to start running for an hour in the morning and cross fit type of exercises in the afternoon.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/hea...gh-mudder.html