Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

FEELER:Bumpers,steps,sliders, racks and more

Old 07-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
FEELER:Bumpers,steps,sliders, racks and more

Okay so next week I plan on buying my pipe bender and start making truck armor, a lot of Texas guys have already heard my plans and stuff. But the point of this thread is to ask the customers opinion about pricing. There's 2 ways to go about making sliders and stuff and 1 way is tubing and 1 way is piping. Tubing would be .140 wall and is what most companies use and has that shiny bare metal finish and is lighter. Piping would be .250 wall and super strong but has that black bare metal finish and isn't as smooth and heavier.
The answer y'all have to give me is:Piping is like WAY cheaper than tubing. Sliders made from pipe would cost like $200-$250 per set. But since Tubing cost stupidly more than pipe, I'd have to sell them for like $350-$450 per set.
So would y'all pay for the tubing ones or pipe? Please give me yalls answer and explanation why you chose that answer!
Thanks ,
Kase
Old 07-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

And tubing/piping choice also affects the price on bumpers too. So just please take all this into consideration. If you get weld on sliders I will personally weld em on myself for free if you want.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Well I planned on dishing out $500 for some shrockworks sliders, best bang for buck here and local pick up. Also contemplated getting skids made from them, I would pay extra no ey for lighter material also, just my $0.02
Old 07-07-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Extra money *** not no ey
Old 07-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
DerpWerx Fab

So thats 1 vote for tubing! Thanks man. Just need to get everyone's input. Trying to get all my plans figured out before I dish out money on this investment.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Stronger + cheaper > weaker + more expensive.

Why pay more for an inferior product? When we are taking about protection for your vehical its a no brainer to go with the stronger product. If adding a couple more pounds means a lot more protection its completely worth it
Old 07-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #7
DerpWerx Fab

And that's +1 for piping lol so now it's
1-tubing
1-piping. Need to get everyone in on this so I can figure out what the majority feels.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
DerpWerx Fab

Here's a pic to show a difference in appearance of bare metal. The first one is tubing and comes clean and shiny and the 2nd is pipe and comes black. If you plan on painting them and using em , then the bare metal finish really shouldnt matter but some people are just picky lol FEELER:Bumpers,steps,sliders, racks and more-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341691477.149231.jpgFEELER:Bumpers,steps,sliders, racks and more-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341691770.710192.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
FEELER:Bumpers,steps,sliders, racks and more-imageuploadedbytapatalk1341691487.624058.jpg  
Old 07-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
well how much weaker are pipe sliders? and what companies make sliders out of pipe?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
I'd pay more for lighter because the situations I will be in wont need .250 wall piping, what would you estimate the weight difference between a set of sliders lets say for a dcsb from the .140 & .250?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:25 PM   #11
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
subd

also you should pm a mod a make a poll to people can vote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
Me Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedMe Likey TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stan
Me Likey TRD's Tacoma Gallery
A quick look at the sliders that other vendors on this forum are selling show that they are using the thin walled tubing.

That might be an indication of where the market is.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Likey TRD View Post
A quick look at the sliders that other vendors on this forum are selling show that they are using the thin walled tubing.

That might be an indication of where the market is.
This is true but why try to copy other vendors when starting your own thing? My truck is my baby and if I had the choice between chosing thick wall sliders and thin walls, I'd pick thick. But maybe that's cause I actually take my truck offroad and put it in situations where she could get hurt.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
well how much weaker are pipe sliders? and what companies make sliders out of pipe?
The .250 wall piping would be WAY stronger than the .140 wall tubing.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Here's a pic to show a difference in appearance of bare metal. The first one is tubing and comes clean and shiny and the 2nd is pipe and comes black. If you plan on painting them and using em , then the bare metal finish really shouldnt matter but some people are just picky lol Attachment 159006Attachment 159008
Are both able to be powder coated?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
I'd pay more for lighter because the situations I will be in wont need .250 wall piping, what would you estimate the weight difference between a set of sliders lets say for a dcsb from the .140 & .250?
Good question and good point. What are the load capabilities of each, although piping is heavier gauge, how much more can it stand up to?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Is the piping and the tubing the same type of metal ?
Old 07-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #18
Famous Fabrication
DWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shedDWreck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DWreck's Tacoma Gallery
Tubing is what armor is made of. All companies use it. It includes HREW and DOM tubing. Pipe, as pictured by OP, would be the schedule 40's and such. Which is thicker, heavier, dirtier, and meant for fire sprinkler systems in commercial buildings.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #19
DerpWerx Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
Tubing is what armor is made of. All companies use it. It includes HREW and DOM tubing. Pipe, as pictured by OP, would be the schedule 40's and such. Which is thicker, heavier, dirtier, and meant for fire sprinkler systems in commercial buildings.
Thicker and heavier and yea dirtier but can be powdercoated/painted and look nice. Youre a pro so you prolly know tons more than I but pipe is meant for way more than that. You and I both know that lol. Down here in the south pipe is used on a ton of stuff, including home made armor and bumper. Just may not be as common in the Cali area cause y'all are all ballers out there lol
Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #20
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWreck View Post
. Pipe, as pictured by OP, would be the schedule 40's and such. Which is thicker, heavier, dirtier, and meant for fire sprinkler systems in commercial buildings.
And gas lines , that's why I asked

Isn't that type of metal more brittle than the metal used in tube OP ?