1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

North Texas (McKinney) Suspension Install Help?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Tactical Tacoma, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Jul 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Tactical Tacoma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    So I ordered my OME lift kit this week from Toytec and it will be arriving tomorrow. I plan on doing the install on Sunday (07/22) at my house in McKinney. Since I am new to DFW/North TX, I don't know too many people. Would anybody want to help with the install? I'll provide the beer!!! Got a grill too, probably gonna cook up some burgers or something. I know how to do the install, and have done them before on my previous 2009 Taco, but it would be nice to have an extra set of hands to help. If you have any project you would like to work on too, I'm down to help. Gonna get an early start on Sunday, probably about 8 or 9 am. I will probably break loose the suspension Saturday night to make Sunday go faster.

If you're down to help out, just PM me or reply to thread. I'll send you my cell # and we can go from there.

[​IMG]

2. Jul 20, 2012 at 7:33 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I would help but not able to break away long enough to come all the way up there. Since you are new to the area keep this info for next time: www.trdparts4u.com is local at Toyota of Dallas and had the best price on the OME lift when I bought it. Plus no shipping and they gave me a discount off the website when I picked it up in person. Provided me with a few install tips from just putting the same lift on her truck. Think about getting the Dakar leaf pack, my best mod to date.
    Good luck on the install. Did you go with the 885 springs?

3. Jul 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    ARB air compressor, ARB rear air locker, sPOD switch panel in sunglass holder, OME Front & rear shocks, 885x coils, Dakar leaf springs, Icon tubular UCA's, Flowmaster 40 Series Exhaust, aFe Pro Dry, TRD Sport wheels powder coated anthracite, FJ TRD center caps, Thule roof rack, 886 fog lights for reverse light mod, CSjumper LED DTRL's, Nokya Yellow fogs, plastidipped lower valence, Weathertechs, Wet Okoles. And MANY MORE MODS, READ BUILD!
    Thanks for the info. I looked into the dakars but apparently they are better for off-roading then towing and hauling. Since I do more towing and hauling I'm looking into some other leafs. Yeah, 885x's

4. Jul 21, 2012 at 5:17 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    The dakars are badass for towing. This is with out their optional AAL. Close to 6000 pounds, tounge heavy and still plenty or room before hitting the bump stops.

b99e9fa3_65feafd04b955ffafd0b762acc373ac9374e8f9c.jpg

5. Jul 21, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    Thanks for that pic and review man. I may start to reconsider now.

6. Jul 21, 2012 at 7:03 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
  7. Jul 21, 2012 at 7:06 PM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    im very near you, in allen, but i know nothing about any mechanical stuff, and im busy that day as well. otherwise i could have come to just be an assistant or something. and learn for future lift install

8. Jul 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    how's the install going

9. Jul 22, 2012 at 7:57 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    Went well..started about 10:30 am. Finished about 4:30. Did the whole thing by myself, but no biggie. I've done two other taco lifts before, one on my old 09 and one on a friends 07. At least this time, I knew everything's needed. I say that, but still had to make 5 trips to the local autozone, hahah.

10. Jul 23, 2012 at 5:01 AM
    CrackerJackMack

CrackerJackMack First class awesome

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 4x4 SR5 TRDoff
    I knew I should have checked the forum more often! I was bored all Sunday!

11. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:38 AM
    BulletToothTony

BulletToothTony You’ll have that on these big jobs.

Member:
    First Name:
    You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
    any pics of the install Seth?

12. Jul 23, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    Here is the front passenger side after install, but hadn't reconnected sway bar yet, as the driver side still needed to be done.

[​IMG]

Here are a couple pics of the truck after the lift
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would have, and planned to, taken more pics, but I got to the point where I was like "f*ck the pics!!! I just want to get this thing done."

13. Jul 23, 2012 at 5:28 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    All in all, everything went smoothly on the install. Would have been nice to have an extra set of hands, but oh well, I made due. Just had to use my legs on a couple occasions on the front, in order to get the coil assemblies in.

14. Jul 23, 2012 at 8:21 PM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    wish i coulda helped/learned but awesome results

15. Jul 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM
    Tactical Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    McKinney, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 MGM DCSB Sport 4WD
    If you ever buy a lift kit, I'd b happy to help man. I love working on trucks.

16. Jul 24, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    MRBOND101

MRBOND101 TTE

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Frisco, Texas
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD-OR AC
    Wish I would have found this post sooner. Would have been happy to lend a hand and learn some new things as my mechanical expertise isnt where I want it to be with my truck yet. But glad the install went well, good job man looks fantastic!

17. Jul 25, 2012 at 5:40 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    x2 I'm just down the road too, oh well. Glad you got it all together though.

18. Sep 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM
    FearThe19

FearThe19 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    S
    Lake Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition Pre-Runner Black
    I may enlist your help or ideas on lifting mine. I just got it last Tuesday from Toyota of Lewisville. There are tons and tons of lifts out there. Every person I've talked to that has done a lift (usually around 3) wishes they would have gone 6. I'm trying to keep that in mind. I have the Texas Edition, so it appears to be lifted a little to begin with.

19. Sep 5, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    kayakvt

kayakvt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Prosper, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 DCSB TRD Sport
    Hello guys - Just stumbled across this thread while doing some research.

I moved to TX from VA almost 2 years ago and picked up a '11 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4. finding myself needing new tires, and an upcoming hunting trip to Colorado got me thinking of lifts...it's a slippery slope. I live in Prosper, TX and work in Plano. I've been using this site for research for a couple months but just signed up recently.

Anyway, I just picked up a full OME (885/Dakars) kit from TRD4U today and will be installing it on Saturday. With any luck my new 255/80 17 Cooper ST Maxx's will arrive on Saturday as well.

I'll be doing the lift at my cousin's place in Allan, and if anyone is bored and wants to come by, the more the merrier! Shoot me a PM and I'll send the address.

20. Sep 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM
    TCprerunner

TCprerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    I work weekends but live in Denton if you ever want to meet up I have a few places to go play in the trucks (I use my bronco most of the time now though) this moth is busy because I am getting work done for rednecks with pay checks but you should stop by I live right off 380 and 288 PM me

Products Discussed in

To Top