Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

Offroading Trails in Dallas/DFW Area?

Old 10-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
DocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to behold

DocsTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Question Offroading Trails in Dallas/DFW Area?

Just bought my 2012 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Sport!

I'm trying to find out if there are any trails, hills, or anything where I can go do some mild to moderate offroading?

I'm dying to see how this truck does in 4WD!

Thanks guys!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Offroad parks in Bridgeport, TX, and Gilmer, TX.

Thats about it near Dallas
Old 10-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #3
Trying to Spread Common Sense and Rational Thought
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Fast Co, Golf 2/4
Name: Zech (pronounced zak)
tx_shooter's Tacoma Gallery
Those are about the only legal ones I know about. There are some trails at 360 but they are better for the smaller rigs and the legality is always in question.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
DocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to beholdDocsTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmarine View Post
Offroad parks in Bridgeport, TX, and Gilmer, TX.

Thats about it near Dallas
Thanks for the info!

They seem to be pretty far from Dallas; are they worth the distance?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #5
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsTacoma View Post
Thanks for the info!

They seem to be pretty far from Dallas; are they worth the distance?
It is totally worth the hour drive to make sure it is legal. Plus the parks have rated trails, maps and Bridgeport has an air compressor to air tires back up before leaving.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

fsbrain03's Tacoma Gallery
Plus if you ask real nice, there are a few guys that live closer to Bridgeport, and may be able to meet you over there and show you around.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:59 AM   #7

Thumbs up

I'll definitely check it out! Thanks for all the info!
Old 10-10-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

My Tacoma is at stock height with 265/70R17 BFG Mud-Terrain's. Are Bridgeport and Gilmer doable with this setup? I barely have 300 miles on my truck, and really don't want to run into any problems, etc.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsTacoma View Post
My Tacoma is at stock height with 265/70R17 BFG Mud-Terrain's. Are Bridgeport and Gilmer doable with this setup? I barely have 300 miles on my truck, and really don't want to run into any problems, etc.
Bridgeport will be fine if you go with someone so they can show you around. I took my truck out there a few times while it was stock and all is well. Just know you may get some light scratches from branches and the possibility for damage is always there when you go off road.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
fsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfsbrain03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Bridgeport will be fine if you go with someone so they can show you around. I took my truck out there a few times while it was stock and all is well. Just know you may get some light scratches from branches and the possibility for damage is always there when you go off road.
Very true. There are plenty of places where scratches can occur. I agree with Tex. Go with someone falimilar with the layout, and can guide you around on some trails where you can test out what you have, and can spot you around damage.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #11

Sounds good!

Let me know if you guys are up to meet up around there. I'm trying to head out there before we hit winter!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
tx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shedtx_shooter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Winter wheeling isn't that bad; it is the summer wheeling that can get you in trouble.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #13

tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_shooter View Post
Winter wheeling isn't that bad; it is the summer wheeling that can get you in trouble.
X2
When I went that time is was in the 30s I had a lot more fun than when it was 100.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #14

Plus I tend to drink less when the mercury is lower, lol.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #15

Smile

Thinking about making a run out to Bridgeport this Saturday!

Any of you guys want to meet up and spend a few hours offroading?

Let me know!
Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #16

Sorry; I'm getting my stuff together for a Hidden Falls run in a few weeks
Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM   #17

Quote:
No problem! Maybe next time!

I'll come back and post pics
Old 11-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #18

Quote:
X2. I thought about going to Bridgeport next weekend for another small test run before the big trip.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #19
ekms377 is on a distinguished road

ekms377's Tacoma Gallery
I just went out to Bridgeport last weekend.......stay on the green and blue trails.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekms377 View Post
I just went out to Bridgeport last weekend.......stay on the green and blue trails.
I also went out last weekend, and the map may be a bit off. Greens are blues, and blues are blacks.