1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 weird noise and feeling in 4WD

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Bajatxtacoma13, May 23, 2013.

1. May 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM
    Bajatxtacoma13

Bajatxtacoma13 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tx Baja Tacoma
    Last night put my yota in 4WD the first time:D was awesome but it made a weird popping sound and had a bumpy feeling it the brake pedal when I was trying to get out of a huge soft spot I stumbled across.... Any suggestions on what that might be? Thanks

2. May 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM
    Skeeter Skeetin

Skeeter Skeetin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Daphne, AL
    Vehicle:
    MGM 4x4 V6 6 speed
    5100's all around w/ 1.75" front. 1.5" Toytec AAL ARE shell with roof rack. Weathertech vent-visors and floormats 20% tint on front. Black and charcol wet okole's VLED V3 Triton DTRL's/turn signals. ECGS bushing
    Was it a thunk right when you engaged it? or was it a continuous thing as you were in 4wd?

3. May 23, 2013 at 4:34 AM
    Bajatxtacoma13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tx Baja Tacoma
    It was continuous noise and feeling. It would only do it when I would change gears and or give it more rpm. It felt like tapping on the break petal and popping sound. As Soon as it went back down to lower rpm after getting out of the hole it was fine again. Seemed worse with traction control on, but would do it a little less when it was off.

4. May 23, 2013 at 4:42 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    Sounds like the traction control they work by breaking the slipping wheel al part of the ABS.

5. May 23, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    Bajatxtacoma13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tx Baja Tacoma
    Still did it with it off I'm hoping it was just the truck breaking in

6. May 23, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    A-Trac perhaps was engaged?

7. May 23, 2013 at 7:27 AM
    Bajatxtacoma13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tx Baja Tacoma
    Idk for sure I'm just hoping its all ok

8. May 23, 2013 at 8:05 AM
    Bajatxtacoma13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tx Baja Tacoma
    Anyway to test it to make sure it's good to go?

9. May 23, 2013 at 8:08 AM
    skidooman

skidooman I'm your huckleberry

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Northern Nevada
    Vehicle:
    19 Taco
    Kings, JBA, BAMF, C4, Deaver, Prinsu, TJM, SnugTop, 5.29s
    Not to be a D, but are you sure you had the traction control all the way off? Put it in park and held the button down for a few seconds? Sounds like it was still on to me. If you just push the button it doesnt turn all the way off.

10. May 23, 2013 at 8:25 AM
    Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Diego
    Rio Rancho New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2013 T/X TRD
    does turning tires to black wall out count? How bout added snug top rebel.
    Did you just press the button once to turn off traction control, or did you hold it down till it says TRAC OFF and shows the truck with the squiggly lines behind it? If you just press the button slightly it shows on dash LSD off, but if you hold it down for a second, the dash shows TRAC OFF.
    To me it sounds like some type of traction assist is still on, trying to stop the wheel that's not getting traction. Did you have the ATRAC button pushed? Were you in four high or four low?
    Like what he said^^^

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  11. May 23, 2013 at 9:04 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    1) Going into or out of 4WD, while moving, there is a 'thunk' noise and feel (sometimes) and that is normal. Do so only off road or on slippery roads. 4WD on dry pavement will be stressful if you turn, specially sharply or slowly, like parking. 4WD is for extra traction where 2WD won't take you... use it wisely. However, using it will get you used to how it works and keeps the parts 'lubed-up'... so use 4WD a little or a lot, every month.

2) The traction controls (TRAC/AUTO LSD) only work if you get into a rougher situation where one tire wants to spin while the other on the same axle is on solid ground. traction control is a limited slip system that will apply brake pressure to the spinning tire so that power will be shared with the traction tire, so you can move ahead. There is a beep-beep-beep and light activates when you begin to spin out and the VSC/TRAC activates to correct the slide. You can get further off road with traction control than without. To see how soon you can get stuck without traction control, stop the truck and press down and hold in for a few seconds the VSC OFF button.

The above is for 2WD and 4WD-HIGH... In 4WD LOW, there is no traction control unless you have the Off Road TRD, and that comes with A-TRAC (works only in L4) that can be turned on or off with a button push. Pushed, when in L4, and your Tacoma will be the most capable factory stock truck around as A-TRAC is on a level much higher than TRAC/AUTO LSD is controlling wheel spin. If one (or more) tires leave the ground or get into a slipping surface... with just one tire on a solid surface, A-TRAC will pull the truck ahead... A-TRAC matches tire rotation across the axle (in the manner of a locking differential) except it is using the brakes and sensors that free up the wheels locked once out of danger, so steering isn't affected. A-TRAC works on all 4 wheels.

Finally, there is a rear differential locker if all else fails (and Toyota is clear it is for emergency stuck situations)... or you just are comfortable off roading with the rear locked (I do find it works well in snow and when pulling others out of their stuck)... and I have used it with A-TRAC so the two front tires have equal traction if there is a bad spot that stops the truck or almost (<3mph).

The short version is that A-TRAC does make some weird loud noises, and if you read your owners manual, you will see that is NORMAL! ;)

12. May 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM
    Bajatxtacoma13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    College Station
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tx Baja Tacoma
    Thanks for all the help everyone! First tacoma and just trying to learn the ins and outs! Thanks again!

13. May 23, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Always feel free to ask... we love our Tacomas, and while we may fight over what is better, we all agree it is one great truck... I am on my third, and converted its lease to a purchase... so maybe my last Tacoma!?

14. Dec 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM
    bbersanti

bbersanti Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Redondo Beach
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access TRD Offroad 4.0 V6, 6-spd
    Weathertech's, All-Pro APEX Front Bumper, Maglite seat mount, Fog Light Anytime, Aux Blue Sea Fuse Box, Toyota Bed Mat, color-match grille, 21" LED bumper Light bar, Redline Hood Struts, Full OME 3" Lift
    Very similar situiation to OP, but in my case it is while in 2WD on a manual 4WD TRD off-road rig. When going around a corner on icy roads and giving it some gas, tires begin to spin but it makes a grinding/clunking noise and the truck jars around. The VSC/traction indicator comes on, but I didn't know if this is normal/if there is a way to disable the feature?

Products Discussed in

To Top