1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

South Padre

Discussion in 'Texas' started by GrahamDA89, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Jul 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM
    GrahamDA89

GrahamDA89 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Troy, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    STOCK as of 5-19-2013
    South Padre!?!
    So I'm taking a 4 day vacation to South Padre Island in Texas next weekend. Never been before and I'm looking to have a blast. Any recommendations on where I should go or what I should do? Yea, I wanna lay on the beach, but not for 4 days straight.

I'll have the 'taco down there so I def wanna do some beach driving.

If you've ever been feel free to give me some insight. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. Jul 10, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    Tacorriendo

Tacorriendo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4x4 Off-Road
    Front lift, ride rite air bags, side steps, rear camera switch.
    Are you going alone? Or with significant other?
    Well for food, there are two famous places and one hidden treasure. You have Pirates landing right before the bridge in Port Isabel, and Blackbeards on the Island. And the hidden treasure, is Los Cabos. The have real good breakfast and all you can eat tasty fish. They are also very good at south pacific cuisine.

For meeting "new people", I would suggest you go hotel bar hopping, there is where the action is. Otherwise, you have Louis Backyard, where there is always something going on as far as outdoor activities.

If you like fishing, the you get your choice of bay fishing, or deep sea fishing. But if you are motion sensitive, there are two fishing piers on each side of the main bridge.
    Anything else younwant to know?

3. Jul 10, 2013 at 10:40 PM
    TacoTony

TacoTony Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    san antonio
    Vehicle:
    single cab rado
    Maxtrac spindles
    Damn if only you were a week early! We just had a group of tacos down there

4. Jul 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM
    SilverTaco1096

SilverTaco1096 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    McAllen, TX
    Vehicle:
    11 SR5 Debadged 4x4
    Plastidipped Batman Decal Blacked out emblems Greyed out rear bumper Greyed out grill Blacked out lower valance AVS In-Channel Wind Deflectors Rola Cargo Basket w/Extension
    Some other good restaurants are Dirty Al's, Daddy's, D'Pizza Joint, and Amberjacks.

When I go I usually hit up Claytons Beach Bar & Grill or Wanna Wanna Beach Bar & Grill. These are pretty good places to chill out on the beach and relax, and get some drinks and food. They also have restrooms which is a plus.

5. Jul 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM
    GrahamDA89

GrahamDA89 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devin
    Troy, MO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma 4x4 5spd 4cyl
    STOCK as of 5-19-2013
    I'm going with my bro that's stationed on fort hood right now. I would try some fishing but I'd have to buy an out of state fishing license wouldn't I? I bet they get pricy.

I was trying to get a room at wanna wanna but they were booked already when I made my reservations.

Any good waves down there? Wanna try my hand at some surfing and skim boarding. And some snorkeling.

Any places that are a must see while in south padre?

Thanks for all the food recommendations. I LOVE GOOD FOOD!!

6. Jul 11, 2013 at 3:19 AM
    Tacorriendo

Tacorriendo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4x4 Off-Road
    Front lift, ride rite air bags, side steps, rear camera switch.
    There is a one day, all water, non-resident license available that is not expensive. There is also non-resident salt water package, but that one may be pricey, cause is for the whole year.

7. Jul 21, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    bjboucher

bjboucher Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Former 2012 DCLB 4x4 SR5 Texas Edition
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    No suggestions for good places to drive on the beach? I'm heading down there this week for 3 days and definitely want to do a little 4-wheelin on the sand.

8. Jul 21, 2013 at 7:26 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

SPI is not the best for snorkeling, the water isn't the clearest and there's a lot of sea weed out there right now.

As for the surfing this is no Hawaii. : P. The waves aren't the best, at least not for surfing.

People do wind surf here though, on the bay side.

9. Jul 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM
    TenBeers

TenBeers Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    CBI bed rack and sliders, Backwoods Adventure Mods front and rear bumpers, etc. And some stickers.
    Just head to the north until the pavement ends, take one of the beach access roads to the right, and keep heading north. Miles and miles of beach driving.

10. Jul 21, 2013 at 7:33 AM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    OME complete kit w/ 885s on Nitrocharger Sports, 1/4" spacers, Dakars w/ Nitrocharger Sports, LR UCAs, 265/70-17, Duratracs, G4 Elite tonneau, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Weathertech digital floor liners, factory JBL/Entune, rear differential breather relocate.
    Cool, thanks. I found a website said that beach access 6 is the best place to start 4-wheeling on the beaches. Definitely will be checking it out.

11. Jul 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    ink junky

ink junky I love tacos too!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)

Just make sure to air down the tires to lower your chances of getting stuck if you're going to be driving through the soft sand.

And don't let the constables or the police catch you. :p But generally the further north you go on access 6 the less likely it is that you'll run into any kind of law enforcement.

12. Jul 21, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Hmm, damn....didn't realize it wasn't legal to drive on it. Is there anywhere down there that's legal?

13. Jul 21, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Not sure if the southern part of the island is different but according this website, www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/things2know.htm, it says:

Beaches are Texas public highways. Only street legal and licensed vehicles may be driven in the park. All-Terrain Vehicles (ATV's), UTV's, Go Carts, Golf Carts, and Dune Buggies are prohibited.
    Pedestrians have the right-of-way at all times and do not always watch for approaching vehicles. Driving in dunes, grasslands or mudflats is strictly prohibited. Drive with caution and strictly observe posted speed limits.

14. Jul 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM
    xpocad

xpocad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    San Benito Tx
    Vehicle:
    2012 DBL CAB TRD Sport 4x4
    3" Revtech Leveling kit 17" XD Addict Rims with -12 offset White Led dome lit interior Avid Light Bar 21" Blitz Pro Led Bar
    Once you get onto south padre island, take a Left alllll the way down (you will pass all businesses), and there will be beach access 4 which is a walk on beach access and then you will hit 5, and 6, and you pay $10 cash and you can cruise on the beach.

15. Jul 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    bjboucher

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Found the beach access. Just got back to San Antonio after 2.5 days down there. Was fun. I drove from beach access 5 to beach access 6 along the sand. I didn't want to go further since I was by myself and didn't want to get stuck. 265 Duratracs, even at 35 psi handled that section of beach with no issues.

Products Discussed in

To Top