Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

finally got the TRD supercharger and 7th injector kit done

Old 10-31-2013, 12:47 PM   #21
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
what performance upgrade to the transmission do you speak of?

The only problems I have had, which I would like fixed so I can, is when I manually shift my transmission from 1st to 2nd to 3rd if I wait to shift right before red line you can hear a grinding noise like an automatic clutch is slipping.

Is the "performance" upgrade to the auto just a pressure increase to make the transmission shift harder, or is it to relieve built up pressure?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #23
DHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to beholdDHwreckage is a splendid one to behold

DHwreckage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03TRDtacotrucker View Post
the automatic trans will not hold out under WOT and a SC. you will wind up destroying the transmission in no time if you plan to drive it hard like most people do with a SC vehicle. some people get lucky and their tranny has survived, mine was already slipping on me so I just went ahead and beefed it up with a full performance rebuild.
You ever get that WOT issue fixed, sounds like you need to dick with the tuning a bit. do you have an AFR gauge? WOT should be open loop so idk if it would be an AFR issue after all! if you do anything get the map3 ecu instead of the AEM Fic. have the stock ecu run your stock 6 injectors and have teh map3 ecu run the 7th injector. i have heard the map 3 is pretty easy to tune!
Old 11-01-2013, 12:01 PM   #24
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
how much to upgrade transmission and can a normal transmission guy do the work?
Old 11-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #25
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigglewiggle60 View Post

The only problems I have had, which I would like fixed so I can, is when I manually shift my transmission from 1st to 2nd to 3rd if I wait to shift right before red line you can hear a grinding noise like an automatic clutch is slipping.

Is the "performance" upgrade to the auto just a pressure increase to make the transmission shift harder, or is it to relieve built up pressure?
??? A grinding noise like an automatic clutch is slipping? No such thing. If there is a grinding noise then you probably have some issues with the planetary gears. Auto clutch slippage does not make a noise other than RPMs going up.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #26
No Road. No Problem.
03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough

Name: Alex
03TRDtacotrucker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

To be honest I have no clue what all brand names they put in the transmission. I just told the performance shop to put in a beffy torque converty, valve body, gears and clutches lol. works great and shifts quick and pretty smooth for a performance build. specially under high load. Trans arent my area of specialties as you can see..
Old 12-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #27
No Road. No Problem.
03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough03TRDtacotrucker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
how much to upgrade transmission and can a normal transmission guy do the work?
Cost me 2500.00 and im sure if you told the shop the performance parts you want that any shop could install, but the warranty is what they might get you on. Thats why I chose a specific transmission performance shop to do mine who has been doing trans for 26 years.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #28
No Road. No Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHwreckage View Post
You ever get that WOT issue fixed, sounds like you need to dick with the tuning a bit. do you have an AFR gauge? WOT should be open loop so idk if it would be an AFR issue after all! if you do anything get the map3 ecu instead of the AEM Fic. have the stock ecu run your stock 6 injectors and have teh map3 ecu run the 7th injector. i have heard the map 3 is pretty easy to tune!
No it still likes to go lean on me at random times during pro longed boost. As long as i just do half throttle from a stop it has plenty of get up and gives me not fits. I still need to have it tuned, but just dont feel like puting anymore money into it right now since it still drives for the most part fine. I put the stock SC pulley back on for now till I get it tuned which seems to keep it from going Lean less often under boost.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
No Road. No Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42boxer View Post
Damn, hmmm my tranny is running great with 210k miles on it. And I like to drive it rough from time to time.
yeah I hear alot of people saying that. I probably would have been fine not doing the Trans upgrade, but since it was already giving me a fit I just went ahead and did it. My trucks only got 120k miles on it... just a little less than yours lol.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #30
No Road. No Problem.

so after having my wiring/ installation on the URD 7th injector checked out by my two mechanic buddies and now a performance tune shop no one could find any faults in the installation of everything. so i gave up with the URD setup and had the tune shop install an ECU map-3 setup with an AFR monitor that still uses the 7th injector from the URD kit. runs a lot better than the URD tuner only thing is the tune shop is having an issue with while under prolonged boost the ECU tries to creep the AFR from the 11's back up to stochi (14.7) which is really bad under boost. anyone know of a fix for this issue with a map-3 ECU setup? done some researching and havent come across a direct fix for this issue.... any suggestions? Also have been getting mixed answers on cruising AFR.. the tune shop has it set to cruise in the 17:1 AFR?? they keep telling me that as long as its just cruising at this AFR that its not harmful to the engine. truck goes immediately to the 11-12's as soon as it hits boost, but i was wanting some other input if people think this is a safe cruising AFR for a tacoma?....