Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

Moving to San Angelo

Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Moving to San Angelo

I have an assignment to Goodfellow AFB for training in July-August 2014 time frame and I am having a hell of time locating a place for my family to live. I know I am really early on planning but that is just me...I like to be a step ahead.

So is anyone from around this area? Specifically, does anyone know of a reputable realty company or renting agency they have dealt with that they would recommend? Anyone here own rental properties in the area?

I have searched google and found some realty agencies and also checked military sites (AHRN, militarybyowner.com) and no luck yet.

I need 3 bedrooms, 1+ bathrooms within 20 minutes of Goodfellow AFB. If pets are accepted, awesome. If not, I have family that is on the way that will keep her for the time that I will be there.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
13SilverStreakTRD is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Brat
Name: Jerry
13SilverStreakTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Have you tried zillow.com ?
Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
Tj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shedTj0hn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Yep!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Are there any areas to avoid living in around the city?
Old 01-07-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
cdk has a spectacular aura aboutcdk has a spectacular aura about
Name: Chris
cdk's Tacoma Gallery
heh, i hear don't live on the numbered streets, only the named ones. pretty much anywhere in town is within 20 minutes of the base. i live on the south end of town and work on the north and only takes me ~14minutes on the loop to get

a guy i went to jr high and high school with is a realtor, i'll pm you his info.

and good luck on pricing, w/ the recent influx of oilfield workers, it is hard to find a place for a reasonable price.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
alnewt1234 is on a distinguished road

Army:
Name: Alan
alnewt1234's Tacoma Gallery
You ever get the info you needed? I am stationed on Goodfellow and have been for about 1.5 years. Send me a message if you need anything
Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #7

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdk View Post
heh, i hear don't live on the numbered streets, only the named ones. pretty much anywhere in town is within 20 minutes of the base. i live on the south end of town and work on the north and only takes me ~14minutes on the loop to get

a guy i went to jr high and high school with is a realtor, i'll pm you his info.

and good luck on pricing, w/ the recent influx of oilfield workers, it is hard to find a place for a reasonable price.
Just saw this. I'll check him out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alnewt1234 View Post
You ever get the info you needed? I am stationed on Goodfellow and have been for about 1.5 years. Send me a message if you need anything
No luck yet. I still have about 2.5 months before I move but would like to get something locked down. Locking at starting the lease on 1Aug. I'll pm you.

Anyone else got any info on rentals out that way?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Flowin is on a distinguished road
Flowin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj0hn View Post
I have an assignment to Goodfellow AFB for training in July-August 2014 time frame and I am having a hell of time locating a place for my family to live. I know I am really early on planning but that is just me...I like to be a step ahead.

So is anyone from around this area? Specifically, does anyone know of a reputable realty company or renting agency they have dealt with that they would recommend? Anyone here own rental properties in the area?

I have searched google and found some realty agencies and also checked military sites (AHRN, militarybyowner.com) and no luck yet.

I need 3 bedrooms, 1+ bathrooms within 20 minutes of Goodfellow AFB. If pets are accepted, awesome. If not, I have family that is on the way that will keep her for the time that I will be there.

Thanks!

did you try realtor.com, they also have a nice app where you can circle the area you would like to be in. you can also try city-data.com to get a "feel" for the area your looking at based on some statistics
Old 05-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #9
Cactus Hobbit
KE5TXK is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement: 3ID Combat Medic
Name: Cody
KE5TXK's Tacoma Gallery
Just checking to see if you got anything yet? San Angelo is part of the oil boom going on in West Texas. Very hard to find places right now. Good thing, this past weekend they got some rain and won't be running out of water in about a year. I lived and worked(PoliceOfficer) in San Angelo for about 6 years, feel free to PM me if you have some questions about the area. I now live in Sonora, about an hour South of San Angelo.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #10
99nmtaco has a spectacular aura about99nmtaco has a spectacular aura about

Air Force:
Name: Patrick
99nmtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Ive only been here about a month and haven't seen too much for rent but a lot of houses for sale. Try checking the American classifieds ads online for this area. I think the websites www.angeloads.com
Old 06-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #11
Ziggy is on a distinguished road

Air Force:
Name: Jason
Ziggy's Tacoma Gallery
OP, send me a PM. My realtor also has rental properties and is a really good guy, I'll get you his info.

have you tried putting your name on the waiting list for base housing?
Old 06-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #12

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Hey everyone, sorry for the long break of no responses.

So we were able to secure base housing. I had to wait til 15Jun (60 days out from RNLTD) and got put on wait list for base housing and 3 days later they had us a 2 bed, 1 bath house secured.

Not ideal for us, but doable and it is on base and secure for the family. When we populated on the waitlist we were 10 of 16, but they gave us the place...kinda weird but they said other people on the list ahead of us may not be there anytime soon and not the same rank etc.

Anyway, THANKs TACOMA WORLD and everyone that posted and pm'd me with info. I really appreciate the help! See ya'll in a month!
Old 06-25-2014, 11:09 AM   #13

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99nmtaco View Post
Ive only been here about a month and haven't seen too much for rent but a lot of houses for sale. Try checking the American classifieds ads online for this area. I think the websites www.angeloads.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
OP, send me a PM. My realtor also has rental properties and is a really good guy, I'll get you his info.

have you tried putting your name on the waiting list for base housing?

Are you guys retraining or permanent party there?
Old 06-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #14

Air Force:
Ziggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Are you guys retraining or permanent party there?
Permanent party, instructor.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
andlours is on a distinguished road

Name: Andy
andlours's Tacoma Gallery
I'm living in Carlsbad, New Mexico this summer and do a lot of work near Midland/Odessa. I am one of those oilfield boom workers (at least for the summer), and I can tell you first hand that rent out here can be pretty outrageous. Best of luck with everything. One thing I can say is that there are some pretty damn good sunrises/sunsets out here.

Old 06-26-2014, 06:25 AM   #16

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Permanent party, instructor.
Nice. Which squadron? I am coming to the 315th for 1N0.

Side note, just found out I missed TSgt...first time testing though. I'll get it next year. You test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andlours View Post
I'm living in Carlsbad, New Mexico this summer and do a lot of work near Midland/Odessa. I am one of those oilfield boom workers (at least for the summer), and I can tell you first hand that rent out here can be pretty outrageous. Best of luck with everything. One thing I can say is that there are some pretty damn good sunrises/sunsets out here.

Yea rent is absolutely crazy out there. I would find a rare gem every now and then but never around the times we needed it. We got base housing which is what I wanted anyway. I feel much more safe with my family living on base.

Plus there are parks within a hundred yards, dog parks, running paths, etc. to keep everyone entertained.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #17

Air Force:
Ziggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Nice. Which squadron? I am coming to the 315th for 1N0.

Side note, just found out I missed TSgt...first time testing though. I'll get it next year. You test?

Yea rent is absolutely crazy out there. I would find a rare gem every now and then but never around the times we needed it. We got base housing which is what I wanted anyway. I feel much more safe with my family living on base.

Plus there are parks within a hundred yards, dog parks, running paths, etc. to keep everyone entertained.
I'm in the 315th also, 1N0, and teach in the officer's course. We'll probably run into each other.

Bummer about Tech... I missed it my first year too, just gave me more motivation to study and make it my second year. It's a tough one to make.
Old 06-30-2014, 04:56 AM   #18

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm in the 315th also, 1N0, and teach in the officer's course. We'll probably run into each other.

Bummer about Tech... I missed it my first year too, just gave me more motivation to study and make it my second year. It's a tough one to make.
I am enlisted so it'll have to be a hall way bump!

I will pose a question to you though, when I move out there, is the squadron willing to let me borrow a body or two to help me move our stuff into our house on base?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 AM   #19

Air Force:
Ziggy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I am enlisted so it'll have to be a hall way bump!

I will pose a question to you though, when I move out there, is the squadron willing to let me borrow a body or two to help me move our stuff into our house on base?
I'm enlisted too...there's actually quite a few enlisted folks that teach in the officer's course. I taught the enlisted course for about 3 years and then got moved over.

As for some moving help, it'll all depend on the schedule. Check with your supervisor when you in-process, let him/her know you culd really use some help and you might be able to scare up a body or two. I wouldn't bank on it, but we help each other out when we're able. PM me when you get a chance with your email, we can talk back and forth off-line without cluttering up the boards.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:48 AM   #20

Tj0hn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm enlisted too...there's actually quite a few enlisted folks that teach in the officer's course. I taught the enlisted course for about 3 years and then got moved over.

As for some moving help, it'll all depend on the schedule. Check with your supervisor when you in-process, let him/her know you culd really use some help and you might be able to scare up a body or two. I wouldn't bank on it, but we help each other out when we're able. PM me when you get a chance with your email, we can talk back and forth off-line without cluttering up the boards.

rgr.