Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

Anyone built their own bumpers?

Old 03-27-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
كافر‎
kenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Kenneth
kenneth.morris07's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone built their own bumpers?

I've seen a couple plate bumpers that I like, and I'm considering building some for my truck. Anyone have much experience with it?
Old 03-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #2
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Contact kase
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tex...brication.html
Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 AM   #3
Jcannon is on a distinguished road

Navy: In-Flight Tech
Name: Jay
Jcannon's Tacoma Gallery
My father and I built an aluminium bumper for my tacoma. While this was not his first time building a bumper (first with a tacoma), it was a first with aluminum. It was a learning curve, it's not perfect but it works. There are a few things we would do differently a second time, but overall its a great bumper.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #5
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcannon View Post
My father and I built an aluminium bumper for my tacoma. While this was not his first time building a bumper (first with a tacoma), it was a first with aluminum. It was a learning curve, it's not perfect but it works. There are a few things we would do differently a second time, but overall its a great bumper.
I'd like to see this bumper. Have any pictures?
Old 03-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
كافر‎
kenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkenneth.morris07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 357sig View Post
Thanks, but I want to build not buy.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:20 PM   #7
كافر‎

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojeelnodnarb View Post
Made my own bumper and sliders
That looks pretty nice. I'd like to build something very similar to that.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM   #8
raise hell, drink beer
mustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
mustangstephen's Tacoma Gallery
I went tube on all my bumpers because I had access to it for free so I'm probably of little help to you. Only help I might be is to remind you to cut twice and measure once. Or something like that.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:12 PM   #9

357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth.morris07 View Post
Thanks, but I want to build not buy.
Your welcome, but it was more for reference not buying. I'm sure he can help you with questions you might have
Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Name: Brandon
senojeelnodnarb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That looks pretty nice. I'd like to build something very similar to that.
it has everything i wanted; hitch receiver, winch capable, high clearance, 2 shackle mounts, and fog light holes. i couldnt find a bumper that had all those features
Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 PM   #11
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Just built these two, never done any welding prior to starting on the rear. Started mid February and almost done with the front, working sporadically on the weekends.

Old 03-28-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
كافر‎

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Just built these two, never done any welding prior to starting on the rear. Started mid February and almost done with the front, working sporadically on the weekends.

Those are really nice too! I was thinking about using 3/16". What did you guys use?
Old 03-28-2014, 04:08 PM   #13
كافر‎

Marines:
Quote:
Your welcome, but it was more for reference not buying. I'm sure he can help you with questions you might have
Yeah. I'll see if he's willing to share any info. Never hurts to ask.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #14
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Those are really nice too! I was thinking about using 3/16". What did you guys use?
Thanks, I used 1/4" on all mounting, including winch plate and 2x4 tube on the rear, and 10ga for the rest. I am making a skid for the front out of 3/16".
Old 03-28-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
كافر‎

Marines:
Yeah I don't need it to be that heavy duty. I know of a couple that have used 3/16" and liked it. If I had a tig I'd try to use aluminum. I know it costs more, but its a lot lighter.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:47 PM   #16
senojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shedsenojeelnodnarb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aircraft Metals Technician (Machinist/Welder) 15th MXS Hickam AFB, HI
Quote:
Yeah I don't need it to be that heavy duty. I know of a couple that have used 3/16" and liked it. If I had a tig I'd try to use aluminum. I know it costs more, but its a lot lighter.
Everything besides the mounting and winch plate can be 3/16. But I wouldn't suggest using anything but 1/4" for the base
Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
كافر‎

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by senojeelnodnarb View Post
Everything besides the mounting and winch plate can be 3/16. But I wouldn't suggest using anything but 1/4" for the base
Is your receiver welded to the bottom side of your winch plate? I have no intentions of putting a winch on. I'd never use it.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Is your receiver welded to the bottom side of your winch plate? I have no intentions of putting a winch on. I'd never use it.
Oh ok. And yes it is
Old 04-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
Jcannon is on a distinguished road

Navy: In-Flight Tech
Name: Jay
Jcannon's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'd like to see this bumper. Have any pictures?
Sorry it took a while.

Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 PM   #20
كافر‎

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcannon View Post
Sorry it took a while.

That's a beautiful bumper man. Did you make a rear one too or just the front?