Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

PINS, June 27,28, and 29th

Old 06-05-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
If it can't be overdone it's not worth doing
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery

Meet at Stripes at 8:00am tomorrow morning!

Stripes
15302 S Padre Island Dr
Corpus Christi, TX 78418

Due to SOMEONE's work getting in the way we will be pushing the trip back a day. We'll head down early Saturday and return on Monday.

We are tentatively planning on making a Padre Island National Seashore Run (PINS) at the end of June. The date is pretty much set at this point, but could change due to unforeseen circumstances.

With that being said, this is a really fun drive. Once you reach the entrance to the beach you have a full 60 miles of soft fluffy sand to get to the jetties at the Mansfield cut. I've done this trip twice, once from Padre and once from Corpus. Running this stretch of coast was the main reason I own a Tacoma today.

My plan is to leave out EARLY on Saturday and make it to the jetties that afternoon. I will let you know later on where I will be stopping on the way down if you want to join us for the drive down the beach. If you have to leave at a later time just make sure you have a buddy with you. I wouldn't suggest making the run solo as you never know what could happen.

We'll be camping Saturday and Sunday night and returning sometime Monday.

I will post more definite times and stops later.

Warning! Unfortunately this is not a 2wd friendly trip. I'm not trying to being an asshole here, but pre-runners will not be allowed. The 60 miles of fluffy sand is not a joke. You may get lucky and run the packed sand if the tide is out, but I've seen first hand that packed sand turn to quick sand and swallow a full size truck. You can also run into places where the tides have come up forcing you to run the bluff as you can see in the pictures above.

Camping:

We will be camping on the beach both Saturday and Sunday night.

Food:

Everyone is on their own for food and drink. Please bring what you need for yourself for the weekend.

Direction:

We will be hitting the beach just south of Corpus and heading south to the Mansfield cut.

Ok, so who's in?

1. SMKYTXN (Nathan)
2. Phillstill (Phill)
3. Colinb17 (Colin)
4. NumNutz (Nick)

Maybe

1. Large (Cody, Red, Kase's Dad)
2. richardbui23 (Rich)
Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 AM   #3
Texas > Everthing else
phillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phill
phillstill's Tacoma Gallery

Count me in
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 AM   #4
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe
Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #5
raise hell, drink beer
mustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shedmustangstephen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
mustangstephen's Tacoma Gallery
I can make almost anything but that weekend work. Sister is getting married.

Had a friend go last weekend (May 30-June 1st) Said sea weed was horrible and had to drive the high road in the fluffy stuff. Made it to mile marker 23 but had a late start and was in a dodge diesel 1 ton so take it for what it's worth. We're tentatively planning on another run in July-September.

If it gets moved around any into July I'd have a good chance of making it. The move will be over with and we'll be settled in. I don't know of much going on then. If not I'm in for pics.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Why can't it be July 4th? Lol i might make a day trip for this
Old 06-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #7
357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed357sig is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: dough boy
357sig's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangstephen View Post
I can make almost anything but that weekend work. Sister is getting married.

Had a friend go last weekend (May 30-June 1st) Said sea weed was horrible and had to drive the high road in the fluffy stuff. Made it to mile marker 23 but had a late start and was in a dodge diesel 1 ton so take it for what it's worth. We're tentatively planning on another run in July-September.

If it gets moved around any into July I'd have a good chance of making it. The move will be over with and we'll be settled in. I don't know of much going on then. If not I'm in for pics.
There was seaweed all over the shore line. They started cleaning up right after memorial weekend
Old 06-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
This is a fun trip. Done it twice. Word of advice to the campers...Bring bug spray for the 747 size mosquitos and baby powder to get the sand off you when you climb into your tent.
Air down to 15 pounds or so and have fun. I will actually be at Mustang Island with my family and might come down to pins one day but will stay within 5 miles or so of the entrance.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
SMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shedSMKYTXN is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
This is a fun trip. Done it twice. Word of advice to the campers...Bring bug spray for the 747 size mosquitos and baby powder to get the sand off you when you climb into your tent.
Air down to 15 pounds or so and have fun. I will actually be at Mustang Island with my family and might come down to pins one day but will stay within 5 miles or so of the entrance.
The mosquitoes are hit or miss, but if you hit them they're bad! I haven't heard of the baby powder trick. Explain?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMKYTXN View Post
The mosquitoes are hit or miss, but if you hit them they're bad! I haven't heard of the baby powder trick. Explain?
It pretty much makes the sand fall off of your skin. Just douse some on your legs, feet and what not. I would do that a couple of times a day and as you get into your tent.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #11

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJgWGJ8kKI0
Old 06-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
Texas > Everthing else
phillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shedphillstill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phill
phillstill's Tacoma Gallery
Oh heck yeah. I'm bringing my shark gear and kayak.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #13

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillstill View Post
Oh heck yeah. I'm bringing my shark gear and kayak.
Yup, this is definitely the place for shark fishing! I'm bringing, KITES, land board, surf board, RC's, and whatever other toys I can think of.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #14
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Down like the syndrome!

see yall there in a few weeks
Old 06-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I'll be there!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:00 PM   #16

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
I'll be there!
It's cheating if you live within spitting distance of PINS!

We'll see you in a couple of weeks.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #17
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's cheating if you live within spitting distance of PINS!

We'll see you in a couple of weeks.
So just to be clear, which way are we running? From Corpus, south or from Brownsville, north.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:04 PM   #18

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So just to be clear, which way are we running? From Corpus, south or from Brownsville, north.
We're headed south from Corpus.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #19
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
We're headed south from Corpus.
Haha okay sweet. Camping on the beach? Do we have group supplies? Food? Colin's got all the recovery gear we'll ever need, but I'll bring what I have.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:12 PM   #20

SMKYTXN's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haha okay sweet. Camping on the beach? Do we have group supplies? Food? Colin's got all the recovery gear we'll ever need, but I'll bring what I have.
Yup, you have it pretty easy in terms of getting to the start of the run.

Yes, we'll be camping on the beach Friday and Saturday night.

I'm not a fan of group food as it usually turns into a mess, so I'm going to say that everyone needs to bring their own. Now, if you're fishing and bring in a good haul you'd better be ready to share!

Bring whatever recovery gear you have, the more the better. I have a pretty good stock as well so I think we'll be just fine.