May 3 18.75%
Summer (Pick a month / date) 2 12.50%
October 3 18.75%
November 2 12.50%
Other (Pick a month / date) 2 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #1
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Big Bend 2015

I plan on going to big bend state park next year and wanted to see if anyone is interested in going. I chose the state park over the national park since I read there are plenty of wheeling trails there. Anyone have anymore input?

I would like to avoid the summer but if everyone else wants summer I can do that as well. Ideally I would like to go in February, March or April or in the fall - October or November.

Here is the average weather for the area:
Quote:
Jan 61F 36F 49F 0.56 in.
Feb 67F 40F 54F 0.52 in.
Mar 74F 46F 60F 0.36 in.
Apr 82F 53F 68F 0.64 in.
May 90F 62F 76F 1.36 in.
Jun 94F 68F 81F 1.80 in.
Jul 92F 69F 81F 2.43 in.
Aug 91F 68F 80F 2.13 in.
Sep 87F 63F 75F 1.49 in.
Oct 80F 54F 67F 1.50 in.
Nov 70F 45F 58F 0.57 in.
Dec 62F 37F 50F 0.42 in.
It goes in this order; Month, Average high for the month, average low for the month, mean temp for the month and the average precipitation for the month.

I also plan on bringing an extra 20 gallons of gas, food for 3-4 people for 4 or 5 days (only plan on bringing myself and +1 or maybe +2 so I will have extra), firewood, a small generator, I plan on having an RTT by then and another spare tent just in case with an EZ up, a stove to cook on with extra propane.. I'm sure I'm missing something. 2 spare wheels and tires, a spare rear axle, 2 spare OEM CVs, a spare tie rod, spare drive shaft and tools to swap said parts. A basic first aid kit, but would like a recommendation on a a better one to cauterize or sew up an open wound. I will also be buying a dedicated GPS for this trip as I'm sure there is no cell coverage there.

Unknowns:
Not sure if I want to dedicate a week for this trip or just a few days, input would help as I would like to coordinate with other members.

Might have someone drive the F150 down with a trailer just in case someone needs a tow back, never know.

If someone can recommend something I am forgetting that would be helpful, this is just a feeler for now but I am 100% committed to go next year.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #2
DJ KRAZY K is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Pilot
DJ KRAZY K's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, Big Bend is awesome! I have only been to the NP portion, but it was still pretty sweet, I did the Black Gap trail, which really was not that difficult. But the other back roads around the park were definitely fun to drift around... I also did some hiking there as well and camped in the basin which is a beautiful place to camp.

I was there in June a couple years ago and it did get really hot, but my truck was fine, my buddies jeep on the other hand was overheating a bit.

I definitely plan on going back at some point and want to see the state park portion as well. I heard spring and fall are both great times to go. I will subscribe to the thread and maybe, if I can get the time, I will be able to go when you get more details on your trip.

Just out of curiosity, you say in 2015 but what about this fall?

Keep me in the loop!
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #3
The Texas Ayatollah
TashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shedTashcomerTexas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dereck
TashcomerTexas's Tacoma Gallery
I'm game. Only problem with fall is college unless it's over a holiday break or something for those of us still in school.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ KRAZY K View Post
Hey, Big Bend is awesome! I have only been to the NP portion, but it was still pretty sweet, I did the Black Gap trail, which really was not that difficult. But the other back roads around the park were definitely fun to drift around... I also did some hiking there as well and camped in the basin which is a beautiful place to camp.

I was there in June a couple years ago and it did get really hot, but my truck was fine, my buddies jeep on the other hand was overheating a bit.

I definitely plan on going back at some point and want to see the state park portion as well. I heard spring and fall are both great times to go. I will subscribe to the thread and maybe, if I can get the time, I will be able to go when you get more details on your trip.

Just out of curiosity, you say in 2015 but what about this fall?

Keep me in the loop!
10-4, I understand about going this fall but my schedule for the foreseeable year (2014) is packed full. I also wanted a little more time to button up a few things on my truck before I commit to a trip of this size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashcomerTexas View Post
I'm game. Only problem with fall is college unless it's over a holiday break or something for those of us still in school.
Understandable, I am open to options as well as the poll.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #5
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
I'm in pending whatever my employment status is at the time lol
Old 09-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #6
DJ KRAZY K is on a distinguished road

Air Force: Pilot
DJ KRAZY K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Large View Post
10-4, I understand about going this fall but my schedule for the foreseeable year (2014) is packed full. I also wanted a little more time to button up a few things on my truck before I commit to a trip of this size.

Understandable, I am open to options as well as the poll.
That's all good and works for me!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
I'm in pending whatever my employment status is at the time lol
You'll be good
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ KRAZY K View Post
That's all good and works for me!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
I might be game for this. Went in January 2013 and it was great. Let me try to find my trip thread on it. The trails are not that extreme to warrant all of those parts.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:02 PM   #9
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tex's Tacoma Gallery
I cant find it but I left DFW on a Thursday morning and came home on a Monday morning. It was enough time but better planning would have made it enough time. We had to go to town 1 day to get some things so that really cut into time in the park. It was about an hour and a half to get to the park road from our site and another 2 hours to reach black top from there.
If I was doing it over again I would look into staying in the bunk house near the ranger station. There is wifi at the station to communicate with loved ones that you are okay and there are showers available. Plus it is centrally located in the park so you can get to most trails fairly easy. Also another advantage is you would only need to bring bedding and not everything else. I know that means you are not actually camping but you could also use the bunk house as a base camp and go explore parts of the park and stay a night if you dont make it back before dark.
20 galls on extra fuel is a smart idea. Bring fire wood and get it before you leave home. There are no trees out west.
To me January-March would be the most ideal times to go. Let me know if you need more help getting this planned. I dont mind helping based on my experience even if I cant go.
Old 09-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Luke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant futureLuke01 has a brilliant future
EMS:
Name: Luke
Luke01's Tacoma Gallery
I would be game for anytime BB has been on my list of places that I wanted to explore.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #11

tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Didn't lyndall go with you?^
Sean from TOR went. We meet in Fort Stockton which worked well since he came from Austin.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:01 AM   #12
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
I might be game for this. Went in January 2013 and it was great. Let me try to find my trip thread on it. The trails are not that extreme to warrant all of those parts.
I have most of the parts in my tool box in the bed except the axle of course
Quote:
I cant find it but I left DFW on a Thursday morning and came home on a Monday morning. It was enough time but better planning would have made it enough time. We had to go to town 1 day to get some things so that really cut into time in the park. It was about an hour and a half to get to the park road from our site and another 2 hours to reach black top from there.
If I was doing it over again I would look into staying in the bunk house near the ranger station. There is wifi at the station to communicate with loved ones that you are okay and there are showers available. Plus it is centrally located in the park so you can get to most trails fairly easy. Also another advantage is you would only need to bring bedding and not everything else. I know that means you are not actually camping but you could also use the bunk house as a base camp and go explore parts of the park and stay a night if you dont make it back before dark.
20 galls on extra fuel is a smart idea. Bring fire wood and get it before you leave home. There are no trees out west.
To me January-March would be the most ideal times to go. Let me know if you need more help getting this planned. I dont mind helping based on my experience even if I cant go.
So a few days was not enough time? There is a double negative there lol. What would you say is the closest gas station to the park? I don't get good mileage and was going to carry the 20 gallons for myself, if anyone else needed some and the generator. Are the mosquitos terrible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy18 View Post
I might be game depending on how close it is to Rock Therapy and how my work schedule pans out. I'm saving all my vacation until Moab so it would have to be the fall or only require me to use one or two days in the spring.
Do it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke01 View Post
I would be game for anytime BB has been on my list of places that I wanted to explore.
Do ittttttt

Anyone else want to chime in with a time? Things to consider, Jambo in April-May, FJ summit in June-July, 4th of July, labor day and thanksgiving, also open season for deer is first Sat in November.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #13

tex's Tacoma Gallery
If we had planned it better then the time we were there would have been long enough.
We got there as the sun was going down and the ranger station was closed. We went to our camp and then had to drive back to the ranger station the next morning to check in, pay, and get some more maps. It was about a 2 hour drive from our camp site. Then it was off to town to pick up some things we left. The closest town and gas station is Presidio. it is a border town with a few gas stations, grocery store and some places to eat. Town to the ranger station is a 2 1/2 hour drive. The dirt road to the park takes forever due to the low speed limit, turns and terrain.
We stayed in the campsite called Gualle 2. The views were unreal and is was a remote site at the southern end of the park. Only 5 miles from the border. The biggest downfall of this site is the location in relation to everything in the park. When I go back I would like to stay in a more centrally located camp site or the bunk house. This way exploring more parts of the park is easier.
I am not sure if they have it open yet but the gate on the east side near Terriluinga was closed when we were there so plan on entering on the west side near Presidio.
The weather was great when we were there in January. It was very cold the first night, probably mid 20s. Then when the sun came out it warmed up quickly. Hiking was done in pants and a T shirt but sitting in the shade required sleeves. Every night the temps got warmer and warmer. The last night was probably in the low 40s. Based on Jambo, Moab, Summit and all that I would vote early in the year. I also hate camping in the heat.
Old 09-08-2014, 06:11 AM   #14
ಠ_ಠ
greeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shedgreeneggsnspam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

greeneggsnspam's Tacoma Gallery
Old 09-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #15
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If we had planned it better then the time we were there would have been long enough.
We got there as the sun was going down and the ranger station was closed. We went to our camp and then had to drive back to the ranger station the next morning to check in, pay, and get some more maps. It was about a 2 hour drive from our camp site. Then it was off to town to pick up some things we left. The closest town and gas station is Presidio. it is a border town with a few gas stations, grocery store and some places to eat. Town to the ranger station is a 2 1/2 hour drive. The dirt road to the park takes forever due to the low speed limit, turns and terrain.
We stayed in the campsite called Gualle 2. The views were unreal and is was a remote site at the southern end of the park. Only 5 miles from the border. The biggest downfall of this site is the location in relation to everything in the park. When I go back I would like to stay in a more centrally located camp site or the bunk house. This way exploring more parts of the park is easier.
I am not sure if they have it open yet but the gate on the east side near Terriluinga was closed when we were there so plan on entering on the west side near Presidio.
The weather was great when we were there in January. It was very cold the first night, probably mid 20s. Then when the sun came out it warmed up quickly. Hiking was done in pants and a T shirt but sitting in the shade required sleeves. Every night the temps got warmer and warmer. The last night was probably in the low 40s. Based on Jambo, Moab, Summit and all that I would vote early in the year. I also hate camping in the heat.
Thanks for the input, I am leaning towards March or April right now unless someone that knows for sure they are going wants a different time then I can arrange that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneggsnspam View Post
Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #16

tex's Tacoma Gallery
If the average high is 82 in April that means that it could be much warmer depending on the weather patterns. It is very dry out there so staying hydrated will be even harder if you are sweat a lot.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #17
Red
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If the average high is 82 in April that means that it could be much warmer depending on the weather patterns. It is very dry out there so staying hydrated will be even harder if you are sweat a lot.
We will have plenty of water, trust me. I sweat a lot anyway so I would naturally bring a few cases.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #18
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingleCabGuy View Post
Didn't lyndall go with you?^
We did the Ouachita National Forest. Probably what you're think of.

Interested in BBSP and that's a strong interest with only a slight probability of going so I'll refrain from voting.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:23 PM   #19

tex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerla View Post
We did the Ouachita National Forest. Probably what you're think of.

Interested in BBSP and that's a strong interest with only a slight probability of going so I'll refrain from voting.
I'm in the same boat as you. Strong interest with a small chance of going.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #20
buzzhead8189 is a name known to allbuzzhead8189 is a name known to allbuzzhead8189 is a name known to allbuzzhead8189 is a name known to allbuzzhead8189 is a name known to allbuzzhead8189 is a name known to all
Name: Matthew
buzzhead8189's Tacoma Gallery
I will try and make it regardless of when it happens. Preferably fall or spring to avoid the heat. I will likely be stock height with sliders and marginal tires. Dibbs on middle of the pack.