1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Big Bend 2015

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Large, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Desired date

Poll closed Jul 4, 2015.
  1. March

21.1%
  2. April

21.1%
  3. May

21.1%
  4. Summer (Pick a month / date)

10.5%
  5. October

26.3%
  6. November

10.5%
  7. Other (Pick a month / date)

10.5%
  1. Sep 7, 2014 at 9:52 AM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    I plan on going to big bend state park next year and wanted to see if anyone is interested in going. I chose the state park over the national park since I read there are plenty of wheeling trails there. Anyone have anymore input?

I would like to avoid the summer but if everyone else wants summer I can do that as well. Ideally I would like to go in February, March or April or in the fall - October or November.

Here is the average weather for the area:
    It goes in this order; Month, Average high for the month, average low for the month, mean temp for the month and the average precipitation for the month.

I also plan on bringing an extra 20 gallons of gas, food for 3-4 people for 4 or 5 days (only plan on bringing myself and +1 or maybe +2 so I will have extra), firewood, a small generator, I plan on having an RTT by then and another spare tent just in case with an EZ up, a stove to cook on with extra propane.. I'm sure I'm missing something. 2 spare wheels and tires, a spare rear axle, 2 spare OEM CVs, a spare tie rod, spare drive shaft and tools to swap said parts. A basic first aid kit, but would like a recommendation on a a better one to cauterize or sew up an open wound. I will also be buying a dedicated GPS for this trip as I'm sure there is no cell coverage there.

Unknowns:
    Not sure if I want to dedicate a week for this trip or just a few days, input would help as I would like to coordinate with other members.

Might have someone drive the F150 down with a trailer just in case someone needs a tow back, never know.

If someone can recommend something I am forgetting that would be helpful, this is just a feeler for now but I am 100% committed to go next year.

2. Sep 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM
    DJ KRAZY K

DJ KRAZY K Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD OFF ROAD 4X4 V6 Manual
    OME 886+Dakars, ARE Shell, ARB Front Bumper+Winch
    Hey, Big Bend is awesome! I have only been to the NP portion, but it was still pretty sweet, I did the Black Gap trail, which really was not that difficult. But the other back roads around the park were definitely fun to drift around... I also did some hiking there as well and camped in the basin which is a beautiful place to camp.

I was there in June a couple years ago and it did get really hot, but my truck was fine, my buddies jeep on the other hand was overheating a bit.

I definitely plan on going back at some point and want to see the state park portion as well. I heard spring and fall are both great times to go. I will subscribe to the thread and maybe, if I can get the time, I will be able to go when you get more details on your trip.

Just out of curiosity, you say in 2015 but what about this fall?

Keep me in the loop!

3. Sep 7, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    I'm game. Only problem with fall is college unless it's over a holiday break or something for those of us still in school.

4. Sep 7, 2014 at 12:10 PM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    10-4, I understand about going this fall but my schedule for the foreseeable year (2014) is packed full. I also wanted a little more time to button up a few things on my truck before I commit to a trip of this size.
    Understandable, I am open to options as well as the poll.

5. Sep 7, 2014 at 12:12 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    :popcorn: I'm in pending whatever my employment status is at the time lol

6. Sep 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM
    DJ KRAZY K

DJ KRAZY K Well-Known Member

Member:
    NM
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD OFF ROAD 4X4 V6 Manual
    OME 886+Dakars, ARE Shell, ARB Front Bumper+Winch
    That's all good and works for me!

7. Sep 7, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    You'll be good
    :cheers:

8. Sep 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I might be game for this. Went in January 2013 and it was great. Let me try to find my trip thread on it. The trails are not that extreme to warrant all of those parts.

9. Sep 7, 2014 at 3:02 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I cant find it but I left DFW on a Thursday morning and came home on a Monday morning. It was enough time but better planning would have made it enough time. We had to go to town 1 day to get some things so that really cut into time in the park. It was about an hour and a half to get to the park road from our site and another 2 hours to reach black top from there.
    If I was doing it over again I would look into staying in the bunk house near the ranger station. There is wifi at the station to communicate with loved ones that you are okay and there are showers available. Plus it is centrally located in the park so you can get to most trails fairly easy. Also another advantage is you would only need to bring bedding and not everything else. I know that means you are not actually camping but you could also use the bunk house as a base camp and go explore parts of the park and stay a night if you dont make it back before dark.
    20 galls on extra fuel is a smart idea. Bring fire wood and get it before you leave home. There are no trees out west.
    To me January-March would be the most ideal times to go. Let me know if you need more help getting this planned. I dont mind helping based on my experience even if I cant go.

10. Sep 7, 2014 at 4:24 PM
    Luke01

Luke01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Dallas, TX
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DCSB MGM lifted dented and armored
    Grillcraft Grill, Leer 100q top, 5100's on four corners, OME 885x up front, OME Dakars with add a leaf in rear, Lighting, a mix of Rigid and Chinese LED's, US Off Road hidden winch front bumper, SOS offroad conceprs skids, and rear bumper with swing out
    I would be game for anytime BB has been on my list of places that I wanted to explore.

11. Sep 7, 2014 at 6:29 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    Sean from TOR went. We meet in Fort Stockton which worked well since he came from Austin.

12. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:01 AM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    I have most of the parts in my tool box in the bed except the axle of course
    So a few days was not enough time? There is a double negative there lol. What would you say is the closest gas station to the park? I don't get good mileage and was going to carry the 20 gallons for myself, if anyone else needed some and the generator. Are the mosquitos terrible?
    Do it
    Do ittttttt

Anyone else want to chime in with a time? Things to consider, Jambo in April-May, FJ summit in June-July, 4th of July, labor day and thanksgiving, also open season for deer is first Sat in November.

13. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:00 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    If we had planned it better then the time we were there would have been long enough.
    We got there as the sun was going down and the ranger station was closed. We went to our camp and then had to drive back to the ranger station the next morning to check in, pay, and get some more maps. It was about a 2 hour drive from our camp site. Then it was off to town to pick up some things we left. The closest town and gas station is Presidio. it is a border town with a few gas stations, grocery store and some places to eat. Town to the ranger station is a 2 1/2 hour drive. The dirt road to the park takes forever due to the low speed limit, turns and terrain.
    We stayed in the campsite called Gualle 2. The views were unreal and is was a remote site at the southern end of the park. Only 5 miles from the border. The biggest downfall of this site is the location in relation to everything in the park. When I go back I would like to stay in a more centrally located camp site or the bunk house. This way exploring more parts of the park is easier.
    I am not sure if they have it open yet but the gate on the east side near Terriluinga was closed when we were there so plan on entering on the west side near Presidio.
    The weather was great when we were there in January. It was very cold the first night, probably mid 20s. Then when the sun came out it warmed up quickly. Hiking was done in pants and a T shirt but sitting in the shade required sleeves. Every night the temps got warmer and warmer. The last night was probably in the low 40s. Based on Jambo, Moab, Summit and all that I would vote early in the year. I also hate camping in the heat.

14. Sep 8, 2014 at 5:11 AM
    greeneggsnspam

greeneggsnspam ಠ_ಠ

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    .gif
    Too poor to list anything interesting.
  15. Sep 8, 2014 at 9:49 AM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    Thanks for the input, I am leaning towards March or April right now unless someone that knows for sure they are going wants a different time then I can arrange that.
    :spy: :spy:

16. Sep 8, 2014 at 10:07 AM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    If the average high is 82 in April that means that it could be much warmer depending on the weather patterns. It is very dry out there so staying hydrated will be even harder if you are sweat a lot.

17. Sep 8, 2014 at 12:17 PM
    Large

Large [OP] Red

Member:
    We will have plenty of water, trust me. I sweat a lot anyway so I would naturally bring a few cases.

18. Sep 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    We did the Ouachita National Forest. Probably what you're think of.

Interested in BBSP and that's a strong interest with only a slight probability of going so I'll refrain from voting.

19. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM
    tex

tex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I'm in the same boat as you. Strong interest with a small chance of going.

20. Sep 8, 2014 at 4:31 PM
    buzzhead8189

buzzhead8189 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    TEXAS!
    Vehicle:
    04 V6 4x4 Manual Everything
    Icon Coilovers and Rear Resi, Dakar Springs, CBI Sliders, Homemade Rear Bumper
    I will try and make it regardless of when it happens. Preferably fall or spring to avoid the heat. I will likely be stock height with sliders and marginal tires. Dibbs on middle of the pack.

Products Discussed in

To Top