1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dove hunting meet in September

Discussion in 'Texas' started by tex, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Jul 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM
    tex

tex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    I was seeing if there would be any interest in a weekend dove hunt. I don't have any specific dates or places but Dove season opens Labor Day weekend. I know that weekend would be busy for most so I was thinking the weekend of 9/12 or 9/19.
    I know there are several day lease places around Hamilton and they run anywhere from $30-$50 a gun per day.
    We could make some good food and have some cold ones after the hunt.

2. Jul 14, 2009 at 1:17 PM
    TexasIslandBoy

TexasIslandBoy THE RED DRAGON!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    South Texas. SPI
    Vehicle:
    07' trd offroad 4X4 (For Sale)
    pro comp 6inch lift 35'' tires moto 950's radfo coilovers magnaflow exhaust 5/16" front skidplate usa spec ipod interface tree pin strip mod dry drop in filter full size BFG KM2 spare
    any around austin or college station i wouldnt mind going to one

3. Jul 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM
    bermise

bermise Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT
    I am going with a few friends on opening day Tuesdy Sept. 1-Sept. 4 in Uvalde. There are alway lots of birds in that part of Texas. I shot a limit every day the last 2 years I was out there. Feel free to go TW members

4. Jul 25, 2009 at 12:23 PM
    bermise

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Total chaos spindles, Total chaos heim joint uca's, Icon E/T coilovers, Icon reservoir shocks, custom Deaver 10 leaf pack, 285/70/17 Cooper STT
  5. Jul 25, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    :threadjacked:lol what a dick...tex-tac....

6. Jul 25, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    07tacoark

07tacoark Still kickin like a chicken!

Member:
    First Name:
    Red
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 & 19 TRD-OR 4x4
    Lots on 07 ... getting started on 19

is the $30-$40 for in-state license? i live in shreveport but always hunt in arkansas. though i havent ever been dove huntin yet. just squirrel, deer & duck.

i guess my question is... are there gonna be game wardens around, is this a private lease... any more details for someone out of state?

7. Jul 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    I'm down for a Dove Hunt but after opening weekend (Sept. 5). I've got my Longhorn Season tickets and can't miss opening day. So Sept. 12 or 19 is good for me. I'm in Dallas now but will drive anywhere to get some Doves. Some one asked if there was a place near Austin. Get yourself the SuperCombo (Fishin and Huntin) and buy the public land hunting permit....comes out to about $100 ($60 for Supercombo and $40 for public permit). What you get is a book of all public land hunting in Texas and access to hunt there (no need to spend $50-$60 dollas a day to hunt on private land) one time fee and it's open all season so it pays for itself. There are a few places in Lockheart (Smity's BBQ is there also) I always had great hunting there (for some reason there were always sunflower seed and grain pastures).

Cotulla and Pleasanton sound like Dove hunting destinations to me. I'll check here often as the season nears.

8. Jul 27, 2009 at 12:46 PM
    bermise

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road

You have to be careful on public land though. Your hunting with complete strangers, half of them drinking while shooting any bird that flys. I have only been twice and I will never go back to public land for hunting. Where I went by Sam Houston it was terrible hunting and way overcrowded. Granted it is a lot less expensive than private leases or day hunts.

9. Jul 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Public or Private.....it's all the same (people with guns). Drunk Idiots + Guns = Bad Situation. Opening Day is always crowded.......that's why you go in the middle of the season when all the "fickle" hunters are out of the way. :D

But none the less, a good comment. I never experienced over crowding and I always went with a friend.

10. Jul 27, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    bermise

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    Hunting on my lease, which I guess you could consider private land, is nothing like public hunting. The only people there are the ones I invite. I have never had a problem with drinking while hunting. Not to mention you can plant whatever food plots you want in the offseason to help the hunting come September. :thumbsup:

11. Jul 27, 2009 at 1:14 PM
    Muy Grande

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Well then..............I think we have found our hunting Spot! :D

12. Jul 27, 2009 at 1:16 PM
    tex

tex [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Sport 4Runner
    PM sent

13. Jul 27, 2009 at 1:24 PM
    bermise

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road

You are more than welcome to come. But this year for the opener in central zone I will be in Uvalde on some land I have hunted for 2 years now. This property is not mine but last year we had 8 guys in our group and we saw maybe 4 or 5 other guys in the full 2 days we were hunting there. The fields are at least 1,000 acres+. Now when that first Friday comes the place is packed with the weekend day hunters and the outfitters lease half of it for the opening weekend hunts. But during the week it is empty. The owner is a cool ass 63 year old man who will talk your ear off. No cabin on land so need a hotel. If you don't shoot your limit than you at least went through several hundred shells missing. No BS!!

14. Aug 12, 2009 at 5:32 AM
    Conway

Conway Member

Member:
    First Name:
    M
    Buda, TX
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5 Offroad Package
    I would be down for a central TX dove hunt!

15. Aug 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM
    bermise

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    19 days till opening morning!! :D

16. Aug 24, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    bermise

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD off road
    7 days! :D

Products Discussed in

To Top