Texas Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > Texas

Notices

Temporary plates and tolls in Texas

Old 12-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
The tacoman is on a distinguished road
The tacoman's Tacoma Gallery
Temporary plates and tolls in Texas

I just purchased my truck and have temporary plates on it. Where I live there are a lot of toll roads and they have gone completely electronic where they just scan your license plate and send you a bill. I thought that the temporary plates where just registered through the dealership and was wondering if anyone knew if the toll companies will go through the trouble of tracking that down or not. Anyway just wanted to check didn't know if there was anyone on here that owned or worked at a dealership, or someone who had just gone through this and could tell me one way or the other.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
Possibly Batman
NeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to behold

NeoMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to NeoMoose
I know in Houston you sign up for your EZ Tag and just check "Temporary Plates" then you go back later and fill in your plate number when you get it. Of course, you still have to have the EZ Tag on your windshield.

I assume you aren't in Houston though, they only go for license plates here if you get pinged for a violation.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta funny story. My fiance' and I just took a road to Indiana over this past summer to go see some family and while traveling through Oklahoma I only paid for 2 or 3 tolls each way...thats where I went wrong. I didn't think they actually expected me to stop every mile to pay a toll! So I got some tickets but I refuse to pay em cause thats bullshit!...Guess i'm not going to Oklhoma any time soon
Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #5
notquiteright110 is on a distinguished road

Name: knucklehead
notquiteright110's Tacoma Gallery
If the temp plate has a long strand of number/letter combination, it is a temporary plate that has your name, address, and info on the truck: purchase date, dealer. If they do go through the trouble of running the number on the back they will have your info, and when the new plates get assigned it will go to them. Austin will drag their feet and so will the dealership on getting your plates to you. If it just has the date for the 31 day expiration blacked out, then dont know what they will do, but that is supposed to be phased out by now.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Possibly Batman
NeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to beholdNeoMoose is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by notquiteright110 View Post
If the temp plate has a long strand of number/letter combination, it is a temporary plate that has your name, address, and info on the truck: purchase date, dealer. If they do go through the trouble of running the number on the back they will have your info, and when the new plates get assigned it will go to them. Austin will drag their feet and so will the dealership on getting your plates to you. If it just has the date for the 31 day expiration blacked out, then dont know what they will do, but that is supposed to be phased out by now.
They aren't phased out. I had the "internet" plate last week.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottcrumley24 View Post
I gotta funny story. My fiance' and I just took a road to Indiana over this past summer to go see some family and while traveling through Oklahoma I only paid for 2 or 3 tolls each way...thats where I went wrong. I didn't think they actually expected me to stop every mile to pay a toll! So I got some tickets but I refuse to pay em cause thats bullshit!...Guess i'm not going to Oklhoma any time soon

Ive been waiting for 6 years on mine to get to me, so just wait it out, and the Indian Nation turn pike is the bumpiest road I've ever paid to drive on.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoMoose View Post

Internet plate??? is that the new ones that come in all different colors and designs that cost 100-500 for 1 to 10 years?
Old 12-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #9
Possibly Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by notquiteright110 View Post
Internet plate??? is that the new ones that come in all different colors and designs that cost 100-500 for 1 to 10 years?
No, the temporary plates that dealerships are handing out that don't have a unique ID assigned to them because the DPS has been having computer problems all year stemming from a virus infection (conficker??). The tag is a "Texas Internet Sale Temporary Tag" or something like that. I assume that it is usually handed out for people who go down to the courthouse and transfer a title.

The catch is that it had ZERO unique identifiers on it other than a VIN number in teeny-tiny writing that you can't possibly read unless you get about 4 inches from it.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
No, the temporary plates that dealerships are handing out that don't have a unique ID assigned to them because the DPS has been having computer problems all year stemming from a virus infection (conficker??). The tag is a "Texas Internet Sale Temporary Tag" or something like that. I assume that it is usually handed out for people who go down to the courthouse and transfer a title.

The catch is that it had ZERO unique identifiers on it other than a VIN number in teeny-tiny writing that you can't possibly read unless you get about 4 inches from it.
OK new one one me i havnt had any problems with the other ones returning to the vehicle they have been issued to. Learn something new every day, thanks for the info. I dont guess ive seen any of the internet plates, and the VIN in the small writing is the truth, it sucks.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
Man, Myth, Legend
bakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbakerla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Always Out Front
Name: Lyndall
bakerla's Tacoma Gallery
I'm speaking for Harris county, most likely going to be the same throughout Texas. Temporary plates are registered to you, temporarily. Tolls roads in Texas don't scan your plates to bill you. You need an EZ Tag that's equipped with an RFID that sticks to your windshield. Pictures are taken of toll violators (without the RFID tag) and they will match plates and find you.

Wife had a loaner car from the dealership, she went the toll road home mistakenly. The plates are registerdd to the dealer. We got a bill for $26 for a $2 toll fee in the mail from the HCTRA's attorneys office.