Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing 3500 in mountains? fair or bad?

Old 07-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Tacoma Tom is on a distinguished road
Tacoma Tom's Tacoma Gallery
Towing 3500 in mountains? fair or bad?

Looking at a 7X12 Enclosed trailer. Weighs approximately 2200#. RZR and gear will probably add another 1300# How is the Tacoma going to handle this weight? I look in the "What do you tow thread" and honestly think some of those guys are nuts. Maybe they tow on flat land, but I don't think they would ever make it going up the rim here in Az...........

Anyways, any info you can offer about the V6 Tacoma going up steep inclines with rought 3500# would be great.

Thanks
Tom

PS I know the mileage will suck, its not good even with the utility trailer and toy! I'm not a speed freak, just dont want to kill my truck, regardless of what Toyota says its rated at.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
yance is on a distinguished road
yance's Tacoma Gallery
My experience has been great in the mountains pulling a similar load, but don't be in a hurry and be ready for the gas bill. I pulled from SE Kansas to Gunnison CO last summer with a 16ft utility trailer hauling 2 4x4 quads and a dirt-bike plus all the gear for a weeks vacation. I am guessing around 3,000 lbs. Monarch pass was the bad pass and I had plenty of power, but I never had to slow way down for any semis. I actually got around 12-14 mpg pulling in the mountains. Just kept it around 3,000+ rpms to where it seemed to make the best power.

The part I was disappointed in my truck was pulling across western KS. If I pulled at 70mph, I was getting between 8-10 mpg and the transmission was all over the place a few times if I tried the cruise control on level ground. If I slowed down to 60-65 mpg was around 9-11 and still couldn't use the cruise even on fairly level ground. If I pull my 6x12 enclosed I get similar results.

For me, I love my Tacoma but its coming apparent that I should start thinking about a larger truck for the things I expect out of a truck. I dont think you will kill your truck if its not an everyday thing.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Truck will handle it fine, as stated above, mileage will suck. But the mileage on these trucks is with the V6 is always weak.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #4
ktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shedktmrider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ktmrider's Tacoma Gallery
well, I was just at about 9k feet, and carrying 3 bikes in the bed I could really feel the difference even with the supercharger. Going up the hills it would downshift twice to maintain 70-75 mph. It ended up shifting around 4k. I was not pushing it that hard, but still I was on a mission. I monitored my engine with my scan gauge and my temp didn't climb over 193
Old 07-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Found a single axle, so that should drop it 1000# or so. Giving it a try next weekend.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Truck did well................ 6% grade for 6 miles = 55mph at 3k RPM.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Yep! No problem! My truck has pulled 6500 or so up a 3 mile 6% grade and maintained 55mph. I dont do it regularly though...
Old 07-22-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
yance's Tacoma Gallery
so what size trailer did you end up going with?
Old 07-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
Interior dimensions - 6'6"wide X 12'long X 6'10"height PACE single axle with a flat front. Was probably around 3300# with trailer, gear and Polaris RZR. Gas pedal was about 1/2 position on the post above, so if someone was able to hold that speed with double the weight, you must have had it pinned to the floor! Its around 80 miles to get up the hill (probably 30%+ of that is 4-6% grade) and MPG was right at 10.4
Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yance View Post
My experience has been great in the mountains pulling a similar load, but don't be in a hurry and be ready for the gas bill. I pulled from SE Kansas to Gunnison CO last summer with a 16ft utility trailer hauling 2 4x4 quads and a dirt-bike plus all the gear for a weeks vacation. I am guessing around 3,000 lbs. Monarch pass was the bad pass and I had plenty of power, but I never had to slow way down for any semis. I actually got around 12-14 mpg pulling in the mountains. Just kept it around 3,000+ rpms to where it seemed to make the best power.

The part I was disappointed in my truck was pulling across western KS. If I pulled at 70mph, I was getting between 8-10 mpg and the transmission was all over the place a few times if I tried the cruise control on level ground. If I slowed down to 60-65 mpg was around 9-11 and still couldn't use the cruise even on fairly level ground. If I pull my 6x12 enclosed I get similar results.

For me, I love my Tacoma but its coming apparent that I should start thinking about a larger truck for the things I expect out of a truck. I dont think you will kill your truck if its not an everyday thing.
do u live there by chance?
Old 07-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
yance's Tacoma Gallery
Gunnison-? Sadly no. I usually go out for a weeks vacation every year.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:57 PM   #12
bpurdy is on a distinguished road
Name: Bobby
bpurdy's Tacoma Gallery
No problem, I tow a lawn service rig with my 2011 2.7litre I4 with a manual gearbox. I work in duluth which is full of hills and sucky roads and that trailer weighs 3500lbs. So If you have a V6, you'll be fine. Your MPG's will suck but thats part of driving a truck.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
lrak will become famous soon enoughlrak will become famous soon enough
lrak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Tom View Post
Interior dimensions - 6'6"wide X 12'long X 6'10"height PACE single axle with a flat front. Was probably around 3300# with trailer, gear and Polaris RZR. Gas pedal was about 1/2 position on the post above, so if someone was able to hold that speed with double the weight, you must have had it pinned to the floor!
In my experience that 6'10" interior height needs more extra throttle than an extra 3000lbs. Pulling the weight up hill works the engine, but so does towing a parachute.