Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Boat Ramps

Old 07-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
hwy17cruzer is on a distinguished road
Navy:
hwy17cruzer's Tacoma Gallery
Boat Ramps

Tacoma Forum; I'm driving a 06 2.7 ltr access cab 5 sp with 82k miles. I tow a 2600 lb sail boat no problemo! The only issue I'd like to resolve is the boat ramp drama. It seems geared a bit high for the ramp tug. I'm thinking of lowering the rear end gear ratio to resolve this. This truck will do 70 in 3rd gear, so there's plenty room for some sacrifice at the high end. And I rarely used 5th gear anyway. Advice?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
Navy:
Changing diff for towing

On my 06 2.7 ltr 5 spd I have drama getting up a steep boat ramp with a 2600 lb boat & trailer. Other wise this truck is the BOM! I wanna lower rear end ratio to resolve this Advice?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #3
Taco Man Sam
Ese Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shedEse Loco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Ese Loco's Tacoma Gallery
re-gearing sounds like what your leaning towards, its gona cost a pretty penny but if thats what you really want it should be work it.

ever consider upgrading to a 4.0 V6?
Old 07-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #4
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Define "drama"? If you're losing traction there's a million factors in play...is the boat ramp wet (probably)? Is is dirt or asphalt? Quality tires? 4 wheel drive?

If the vehicle just seems to be struggling, well, yeah, that's power and gear ratios may be able to help you solve that.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
DO you have a 5 lug Tacoma?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ese Loco View Post
re-gearing sounds like what your leaning towards, its gona cost a pretty penny but if thats what you really want it should be work it.

ever consider upgrading to a 4.0 V6?
What? Re gearing should only cost about $500.00 for everything. Much cheaper than geting a V6...
Old 07-29-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Navy:
new diff for boat ramp

I did consider a v6 4wd pathfinder, but I love this 2.7 Taco. ( I bought new) it does everything well except the ramp. I drove a stick for 30 years, well schooled, no slipage of the rear wheels. Just gotta rev it a little too high a little too long and feather the clutch too long to get 'er done. (It's more about the resistance of the water on the trailer than weight) At 82 k the last ramp pull did her clutch in. I'm thinkin' it's cheaper to swap out the rear diff than to up grade to a new ride. I see alot of off road posts about this but none on the street trucks. I'm hoping it can be done easily for 3-6 hundred bucks.....
Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #8
Navy:
5 lug? Yes on wheels EOM

yeah, wheels are 5 lug, if that's what you mean...
Old 07-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
How often do you use the boat? If you re-gear the engine will be running at a higher rpm all the time. Things will wear out faster and your mileage will plummet. Is the cost of a clutch worth the cost of running lower gears all the time?

I'd just get the clutch if it were me and use a heavier pressure plate.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
Navy:
I'm currently researching just what gear ratio is optimal. Bottom line is, clutch is shot and I need a new one. I will heed your advice and opt for the heaver duty pressure plate. The towing issue is a real counundrum. I commute 100 miles a day in the truck. Mostly on curvy mountain roads with speed limits of 50mph (Zealously enforced!) I do have a stretch of 15 miles of freeway where I can hit 80mph. So my Tacoma runs at 2.5 k rpm at 25 mph in 2nd gear. 2.5k rpm at 45 mph in 3rd gear, 2.5k rpm at 60 mph in 4th gear, 5th gear I rarely use and don't remember rpm data. The truck feels best at about 2k rpm. I'd really like to get 1st gear down to a real granny gear and use 2nd-5th as driving gears. At least that's the plan. Any advice is appreciated. THx in advance to this forum it's already been very helpful.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:17 AM   #11
Jimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the roughJimsc is a jewel in the rough
Name: Jim
Jimsc's Tacoma Gallery
You might come out cheaper to sell your truck and buy another one with 4WD, this will give you the lo gear that you are looking for.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:13 PM   #12
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwy17cruzer View Post
Tacoma Forum; I'm driving a 06 2.7 ltr access cab 5 sp with 82k miles. I tow a 2600 lb sail boat no problemo! The only issue I'd like to resolve is the boat ramp drama. It seems geared a bit high for the ramp tug. I'm thinking of lowering the rear end gear ratio to resolve this. This truck will do 70 in 3rd gear, so there's plenty room for some sacrifice at the high end. And I rarely used 5th gear anyway. Advice?
70 in 3rd gear concerns me
Old 05-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #13
Banned
03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed03taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army:
03taco's Tacoma Gallery
if you do regaer i recomend randys ring and pinion dad has his stuff done there and i do to and ill swear by it, great service freindly and fair!