1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Where to buy - Tow Package Components

Discussion in 'Towing' started by ethanw, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Jul 31, 2010 at 9:29 PM
    ethanw

ethanw [OP] Active Member

Member:
    So short story short I don't have the towing package in my 2009 V6... I did read the "towing bible" and all I need to know is what part numbers and where to buy some of the towing components (after market or OEM, whatever works best) I have a mechanic available to install everything for me. Based on my requirements I will need:

1. Toyota factory Class IV hitch
    2. 7-pin trailer harness and socket.
    3. 7-pin to 4-pin adapter.
    4. Pre-wired for an add-on trailer brake controller.
    5. Transmission oil cooler.
    6. Engine oil cooler.

Is there a place where I can buy everything together or I need to go to various places for each part?

I really appreciate all the help and guidance.

Regards
    Ethan

2. Aug 1, 2010 at 4:46 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    I did not need the extra capacity (I drive a 5 lug and pull a small Carolina Skiff) so I went with aftermarket hitch and connections. If I was trying to get to the 6500 lb capacity I'd put in factory parts. Ask your dealer how much it will cost.

3. Aug 1, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    ethanw

Member:
    Dealer will charge an arm and a leg.... Just ridiculous....

4. Aug 1, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    ethanw

Member:
  5. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Just a couple options or things to think about... unless you plan on towing over 5,000 lbs, you don't need a class IV hitch, a class III will do. Most full size trucks actually come with a class III from the factory, you don't start seeing class IV until you get to the 3/4 ton trucks (or the Tacoma). Same with the engine oil and transmission cooler. They're a great idea if you plan on towing frequently and for long distances, but theres no sense in adding them unless you need them. Your list spot on though, just wanted to give you a couple options and explain some of your options. Check autoanything.com also, I've found they beat JCWhitney in a lot of instances. Good luck.

6. Aug 1, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    ethanw

Member:
    Thanks much Sir.... I plan to tow my show car once in a while for several hundreds of miles... Just the car weights 4355 lbs so with the trailer you do the math :) Lots to tow for long distance, so I believe the coolers are justified since I don't want to take my chances.... What do you think?

7. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    TacomaBuzz

TacomaBuzz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 RegCab 4x4 TX Special Edition
    Sirius, Bugflector,back-rack, stepsides.
    Ebay is probably your best bet, it will probably cost a lot for all those parts, almost better off trading the taco in for a tow package equipped one

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    ethanw

Member:
    Kidding right :) Trade a 6000 miles truck just because I don't have the tow package? Can you imagine how much I can lose on such a silly deal?

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  9. Aug 2, 2010 at 4:58 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Hidden hitch makes a good hitch (etrailer.com).
    Hoppy makes a good 7pin connector (wal-mart). You'll need the tail light converter as well.
    Summit racing has good trans and oil coolers. Measure the space available before you order.
    Get the factory fan clutch for the towing package, or put in an electric auxillary fan in front of the radiator.

10. Aug 2, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    He's probably only half kidding... But if you're going to trade it in, might want to think about a full size. It will certainly be a more comfortable tow. Regardless, if you're going to tow that kind of weight, the engine oil and transmission coolers are definitely a good idea. Also, a good weight distributing hitch with sway control wouldn't hurt.

11. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    They may price themselves clear out of the market but I would get a price from the Toyota dealer if for no other reason than having a baseline to compare other sources to. Another reason is that the legally rated capacity of your truck will continue to be only 5000 lbs if you do not have it upgraded by a dealer to Toyota specs. If the dealer does the installation they can chage it to 6500 lbs.

The rated towing capacity is stated before considering items loaded in the truck like passengers and stuff in the bed which use up the towing capacity. Check with your insurance agent to see if you need upgraded rating.

12. Aug 2, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    Keep an eye out here for the hitch...I think I picked mine up for $120. Sanded the rust off and rhinolined it.

The hitch came with the 7pin plug and harness, but getting ahold of the OEM harness and wiring it in was prohibitively expensive. I bought a T-adapter (taillight adapeter) which had a 4-pin on it. I cut off the 4 pin and soldered it to the approprilate leads on the 7 pin. Of couse, I didn't have electric brake or 12v, but the lights would work. I had orginally planned to wire those up myself, but ended up trading the truck in for one with the factory tow package (which I would consider doing if you're serious about towing)

I never did the oil or transmisson cooler, higher amp alternator, or battery but the aftermarket can provide those for much less money (and probably better performance)

13. Aug 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    ethanw

Member:
    Thanks everyone. Each and everyone of you in some way helped me so I thank you for that. I have a lot of good information to start with... Whatever path I take I will make sure to post it back so anyone else can leverage it..
    My intent is to get all the towing stuff after market and have it professionally installed knowing that I may have some warranty or insurance issues.

Again my requirement is to tow my show car once or maybe twice a year but for long distances, so that's my reasoning for going for the full towing kit....

Thanks all of you again and if you have more suggestions or guidance please don't be a stranger.....

14. Aug 4, 2010 at 11:59 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I don't know what size trailer you have...what is the total weight of your car and trailer?

15. Aug 5, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    ethanw

Member:
    The car weights 4355 lbs and the trailer could be somewhere in the 2000 lbs. Not vamiliar with car trailers but I guess 2000 lbs is a good guestimate?

16. Aug 24, 2010 at 6:41 PM
    White398

White398 Member

Member:
    I also have the same issue (non TRD 2nd Gen V6) and have been reading all I can to determine which way to go in order to set my ride up to meet my towing needs.

This is what I have learned:
    A Toyota mechanic advised me to put the trani cooler on, not worry with the engine cooler or HD battery for a load up to 5000 lbs.

Even if you have the TRD kit (Class IV) hitch to tow up to 6500lbs the truck can apparently be a bit "whippy" and will search for a gear. This posses safety concerns and fuel mileage issues for me.

A hitch installer advised with drag bars to level the weight out and assist with tracking/handling while towing you will be able to add another 500lbs the 5000 lbs (totalling 5500 lbs) for towing w/o TRD set up from factory.

This is certainly the cheaper, safer and more fuel efficient option for towing by a mid size truck.

Toyota qouted me the following to be able to tow up to 6500 lbs:
    $650 for TRD hitch (Class IV) w/ 4 pin
    $775 for TRD hitch (Class IV) w/ 7 pin adapter
    $1300 for the TRD hitch (Class IV) w/ 7 pin and the brake controller
    $750 (new) or $ 445 (remanufactured) for upgrading alternator to HD one as in TRD
    $325 for the trani cooler
    They advised against oil cooler upgrade
    Total : $1400 (4 pin, trani cooler & reman alt) to $2375 (7 pin, trani cooler & new alt)

An aftermarket hitch supplier qouted me as follows to tow up to 5500 lbs:
    $215 for Class III hitch
    $65 for wiring
    $105 for installation
    Total = $380
    Add $365 for drag bars for weight distribution
    This = $745 total
    Add trani cooler from Toyota at $325 and the Grand Total is $1070

Given the vehicle size, weight, power dynamics of the Tacoma mid size truck and the aforementioned options/prices, my decision is to go with a Class III hitch and a trani cooler to start. Once I select the load (i.e. RV trailer which will be no more than 3500 lbs dry), I will then decide if I need to add the drag bars and upgrade to a remanufactured alt if it appears necessary.

17. Aug 25, 2010 at 7:03 PM
    ethanw

Member:
    This is great work partner..... I went to FortBend Toyota to ask the same question as you did and all they give me is that it can't be done if the truck don't have the towing package from the factory.... They're either retarded or lazy..... One thing that kind stuck with me is about warranty... I have 7 years extended warranty and I am told by them if I add anything out of Toyota dealer / shop it will void my warranty.... I am willing to pay the dealer price if they can and will do the tow package job so the warranty won't be voided.... What effing pain in the arse this whole towing ordeal.....

18. Aug 26, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    White398

White398 Member

Member:
    The Dealer gave me the same line re : "potential" to void warranty. I wouldn't bite. Just an opportunity to ripe you off. The burden of proof would be on them to show how it compromised the integrity of teh unit thereby invalidating the warrranty. Ask them to whow you were in writting that specific clause is. They won't becasue it doesn't exist.

19. Aug 27, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

20. Feb 15, 2011 at 4:07 PM
    shortround67

shortround67 Member

Member:
    I am in the process of getting a 2011 tacoma v6 with out the towing package I called toyota and they say said as long as the transmission cooler is installed correctly it is covered yet by warrenty. I was unable to find one in my state with the tow package and not get all the extra bells and whistles so I went with adding cooler

Products Discussed in

To Top