Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Where to buy a hitch receiver?

Old 08-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #1
smbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nice

Name: Scott
smbundy13's Tacoma Gallery
Where to buy a hitch receiver?

as the title says, I am looking for a hitch receiver for my truck. I have read that there isnt a toyota hitch so I will have to get one elsewhere.

where should I go? I have had experience with Draw Tite, but know about hidden hitch and U-Haul.

where did yall go? where would yall go?

Not sure how difficult it would be to put on myself.

any info on this would be helpful
Old 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #2
Firefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shedFirefighter160 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
Firefighter160's Tacoma Gallery
I got mine for $90 at Advance auto parts, was very easy to put on. I have also seen them at wal-mart...
Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
If you go to U-haul and have them put it on, it carries an installation warranty.

From what I hear, U-haul uses the Valley hitch. I bought a Valley hitch from Amazon, and it also shows up E-trailer. It lists as a "Class III", but is marked as Class IV. Ridiculously simple to install, just make sure you have a good torque wrench that goes past 100 lb-ft.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #4
Old Sheepdog
Primersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrimersinmyshoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Primersinmyshoe's Tacoma Gallery
I had U-Haul install a hitch here in my home town. I was a couple states away on a trip and needed a little adjustment. I went to a U-Haul and there and they saw that it was one of their hitch/ball mount systems and fixed it for free.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
afd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shedafd23a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

afd23a's Tacoma Gallery
U-haul uses Valley for the round tube hitches and Curt Mfg hitches for the square tube hitches.

I got the square tube Uhaul/Curt Mfg hitch from http://www.discounthitchcentral.com. There are several other places that sell them online, so you might find a better deal than at your local Uhaul or parts store.

From Amazon I got the wiring harness that's listed in the Towing Bible thread.

Installed both myself, but could have used another set of hands for installing the receiver.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #6
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.etrailer.com/
Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
I bought one off eBay for $120... it blows balls. Rusting like crazy, but it does work. Just appears the paint they used was useless.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:25 AM   #8
smbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nicesmbundy13 is just really nice

thanks everyone for the good advice. I will probably go to a u-haul place since it is 5 minutes from my house. I could install it myself but dont have time right now.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
jrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrdbrn is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jared
jrdbrn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbundy13 View Post
thanks everyone for the good advice. I will probably go to a u-haul place since it is 5 minutes from my house. I could install it myself but dont have time right now.
Less than 30 minutes...

Worth the money saved.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
JKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shedJKD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JKD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdbrn View Post
Less than 30 minutes...

Worth the money saved.
http://www.uhaul.com/hitches/warranty.aspx

If the hitch is ever damaged, if someone rear-ends you, etc., U-haul will repair or replace it.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
COEngineer is on a distinguished road
COEngineer's Tacoma Gallery
JC Whitney

Someone else posted about JC Whitney: http://www.jcwhitney.com/

I found a class III Curt hitch for my 2003 Taco and after I applied the discount code I found on-line, I got the hitch and a 2" receiver for $132 including shipping. That's quite a bit cheaper than the $179+tax quote I got from Uhaul.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:13 AM   #12
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
One last piece of advice, when you go to U-Haul ask for a receiver hitch and not a hitch receiver.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 AM   #13
Caduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaduceus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: I be a doctor
Caduceus's Tacoma Gallery
My walmart has them. wierd, huh?
Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
My walmart has them. wierd, huh?
When I lived in VA I was amazed at some of the crap I found in Walmart! Compared to the ones up here, they seem to carry everything you could ever possibly want/need.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #15
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Valley Hitch on mine, Its rated as a class IV. Super easy to install. 4 bolts (2 per side) onto the frame, then 2 bolts into the bumper. It uses all the factory holes. I recommed going for a 7pin plug instead of 4 because its easier to convert a 7pin to a 4 than to convert a 4pin to a 7.
Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #16

well i got lucky and found a curt hitch on craigslist for $75. now i just gotta put it on this weekend.
another question, is it a pain to hook the trailer lights harness? i wont be hauling a trailer big enough to use trailer brakes just lights..

thanks for your help.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
well i got lucky and found a curt hitch on craigslist for $75. now i just gotta put it on this weekend.
another question, is it a pain to hook the trailer lights harness? i wont be hauling a trailer big enough to use trailer brakes just lights..

thanks for your help.
You can get a plug and play harness that T's into your tail light plugs. All you have to do is take the tail lights off, plug in the harness and you're done. That will give you a 4-pin connection so you won't be able to tow a trailer with brakes unless it has surge brakes like a uhaul.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #18
South of Boston is on a distinguished road

Name: Bob
South of Boston's Tacoma Gallery
First time post Any video's on DIY hitch Curt wiring harness installation?
Old 12-11-2010, 08:12 AM   #19

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Boston View Post
Should be plug and play, the harness T's into your tail light wiring and then you just run the 4-pin to the back of the truck and zip tie it to the draw bar. Shouldn't take more than an hour to install and you'll only need a screwdriver to remove the tail lights.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #20
Middle Age Member
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Boston View Post
This might help.

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-Wiring-in...ta-Tacoma.aspx