Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing capacity and payload capacity.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
ecrepeau is on a distinguished road
ecrepeau's Tacoma Gallery
Towing capacity and payload capacity.

I have a question regarding when you are towing a trailer what are the limits of how much you can load into the bed of the truck?

I know that the tow capacity (2nd gen tacoma with tow pkg) is something like 6500 pounds and the payload capacity (4x4 d-cab) is something like 1380 pounds.

So for example could you tow a trailer weighing 3000 pounds and still load the bed with 1000 pounds?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Yes-Kinda. There should be a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating too- And that should be the crub weight+payload+fully loaded trailer. Don't forget that payload includes passengers too....Not just crap in the bed.

Edit- Good call about the tongue weight... but 1000 + 10% of 3000=1300...Payload capacity.

You'll notice it tho...Low gas mileage, Longer stopping distances.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #3
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Negative. You have to take into account the tongue weight.
There is a gross combined weight rating(GCWR). It is lower than the max ratings for payload and trailer. I'm not sure what the actual value is.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Do some research on GCVWR.

Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating.

This is the total amount of weight combined including the weight of the truck, people & cargo, along with everything you're hauling and towing. I believe the Tacomas (with tow package) have 11,100 GCVWR.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
******EDITED - TYPED QUICKLY, GOT IT WRONG

Don't forget GAWR - Gross Axle weight rating.
As long as you are under GVWR, GCWR, & GAWR at both axles, you are okay.
As a simple rule of thumb, with no (WD) weight distributing hitch, deduct 1.5X the tongue weight from AXLE capacity, with a distributing hitch, deduct 1X tongue weight. So with a 6000# Trailer with a WD, you can still load 700# lbs in the truck, remember, that is cargo & humans, not just cargo. So with a heavy trailer, basically you can only have people in the truck.

SORRY FOR THE CONFUSION!
Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 AM   #6
ecrepeau is on a distinguished road
ecrepeau's Tacoma Gallery
OK. So if I understand everything correctly.

Tongue weight is basically 10% of what ever the total weight of the trailer and the cargo you load in it. So if payload cap is 1380 and and you are hauling 3000 pounds subtract 300 pounds (10% of 3000) from the 1380 payload cap leaving you with 1080 payload still to go for additional stuff in the bed, weight of driver, and weight of anything else you have in the truck.

GCVWR is the total of truck, payload and whatever you are hauling including the trailers weight combined. So basically add up all three and make sure you are under the GCVWR cap which if Janster is correct is 11,100 pounds. Can anyone confirm this number?

A little lost on the math regarding GAWR. The figures in the example looks like 10% of trailer and cargo and not 1.5x for WD hitch or 2x for non WD. If I am correct the example (for WD hitch) would be as follows. 1.5x tongue weight of a 6000 pound trailer would be 900 pounds leaving only 480 pounds for payload or since it looks like the example rounded up payload cap to 1400 pounds 500 left for payload.

Also, thank you guys for the info on this as I had no clue how hauling a trailer calculated into what could still be loaded into the truck and the bed itself. Could be useful info to be added to the Towing Bible post as anyone who is going camping with a trailer or the such is bound to throw additional gear in the bed of the truck.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
Tongue weight is applied as a leveraged force on the rear axle. 300# at the tongue, = almost 1.5 times that amount on the rear axle, and some weight removed from the front axle. So it only adds 300# to the curb weight, but far more to the axle. Same idea if you loaded all the weight in the rear of the box.
A WD hitch spreads the weight, and I should have said the WD actually puts 1X, not 1.5X at the rear axle. A WD hitch essentially centers the tongue weight, somewhere around the rear axle. It also transfers some of the weight back onto the trailer axle(s)
Old 04-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Combatoverride is on a distinguished road
Combatoverride's Tacoma Gallery
Here are some calculations I have made that others might find useful:

Weighed my 2011 Tacoma today.
Double Cab
4x4
V6
SR5

No other options. Truck is new and just off the lot. No tools, random junk, etc in the truck.

Full tank of gas: 21 gal (21gal x 6.1lbs/gal = 128lbs)
My dressed weight: 160lbs

Total weight on scale: 4400lbs

Total dry weight of truck (measured on the scale minus my weight and the weight of the gas) = 4,112lbs

GVWR (per Toyota) = 5450

That gives me 1050 to play with once I am filled up and by myself.

That doesn't leave much payload once I add in a friend or two, gear, etc. I can only imagine that TRD offroad will add additional weight.

I intend on adding a truck camper, which weighs in a 660lbs dry. That leaves me with 450lbs for everything else. It's going to be close.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer loading affects tongue weight. Calculations are just a guide. Take what you plan to tow to the truck scales and measure the weight on each axle. Make sure you get one axle on each weigh plate, or you won't get an accurate weigh.