Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Might be saying Goodbye to the Taco

Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #21
Beast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to allBeast is a name known to all

Name: Mark
Beast's Tacoma Gallery
i would stay with toyota and get a 5.7 tundra......it will pull better than most......and its still a yota
Old 08-19-2010, 09:36 AM   #22
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
The only problem with the Tundra is the MPG. It isn't very good. I almost got one and I'm glad I didn't.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:24 AM   #23
Cajun Taceaux
zeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
zeeya2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The only problem with the Tundra is the MPG. It isn't very good. I almost got one and I'm glad I didn't.

i say you shouldve gotten one. my padres tundra gets 19 mpg on the highway and 17-18 mpg around town. thats with the supercharger
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #24
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeya2000 View Post
i say you shouldve gotten one. my padres tundra gets 19 mpg on the highway and 17-18 mpg around town. thats with the supercharger
Maybe with the blower but stock they aren't good. My buddy gets about 14 city 16 to 17 highway in his Crewmax 5.7 2wd. Also I have no need for a full size and it would have cost me about 5K more.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #26
Banned
Yeah but I do know what kind of numbers the Tundra pulls and they aren't good.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #27
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
But, but, but, couldn't ya just rent or borrow a truck to pull the trailer? Gettin rid of the Taco just seems so drastic, lol. Miniature horses?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #29
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
Renting a truck is out of the question since she rides 3 to 4 times a week in differant places. Horses are kept about 30 miles from our house. from the Barn to her practice arena is about 45 to 50 miles. And borrowing a truck is out also. I would feel like shit if something happened to my buddies truck while I was driving it. I'd rather tear up my own truck then somebody elses with something like this.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #30
ajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ajviper7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaShasBoo View Post
Not for sure but here are my estimates:

Trailer- roughly 2000lbs
Horse-1 roughly 1000lbs the other roughly 1500lbs
Hay - 50lbs per bale= 100lbs to 200lbs depending how long of a trip
Water - 50 lbs depending on how long of a trip
Saddle and gear= 100 lbs
Me = 200 lbs Wife = 130lbs

About 5,180 lbs all together.
Any newer vehicle with a v8 and towing package whether it be an suv or a truck will pull this load just fine. It's just up to you to decide what you like the best. You don't really need a diesel for this even though the new ones are pretty damn cool. If you want to stay in the Toyota family get a Tundra, othewise I would go look at a new F150 if I were you.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:08 AM   #32
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobell007 View Post
Aren't tacomas rated for 6500lbs?
2nd gens are... I believe 1st Gens were around the 5500 ballpark.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #33
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Renting a truck is out of the question since she rides 3 to 4 times a week in differant places. Horses are kept about 30 miles from our house. from the Barn to her practice arena is about 45 to 50 miles. And borrowing a truck is out also. I would feel like shit if something happened to my buddies truck while I was driving it. I'd rather tear up my own truck then somebody elses with something like this.
Dammit, I keep forgetting the sarcasm emoticon.......sorry.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #34
williegreen33 is a splendid one to beholdwilliegreen33 is a splendid one to beholdwilliegreen33 is a splendid one to beholdwilliegreen33 is a splendid one to beholdwilliegreen33 is a splendid one to beholdwilliegreen33 is a splendid one to behold
williegreen33's Tacoma Gallery
towing

The Tacoma is rated at 6500lbs. It can tow more than that. Toyota is being conservative on the towing. I would go with the 5.7 Double cab or the reg cab because of the longer bed. The crew max isn't recommened to tow over 10,000lbs because of the bed. The longer the bed the more weight you can pull, But if you are only pulling 5100lbs, you should be safe in the taco.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #35
ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!
Bama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBama_TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bama_TACO's Tacoma Gallery
If you get a Ford Diesel, don't get the 6.0 powerstroke. You would be better off finding an older 7.3 powerstroke. I was looking to get a F250 when I bought my Tacoma and from the research I did, there were several complaints with the 6.0.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #36
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by williegreen33 View Post
The Tacoma is rated at 6500lbs. It can tow more than that. Toyota is being conservative on the towing.
The bigger question here is can the truck stop more? Sure it can probably pull more but you are really stressing the truck at the max limit. Any more will start breaking stuff. If you find yourself towing at the limit all the time then you have too small of a truck for your needs.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #37
ajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ajviper7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
The bigger question here is can the truck stop more? Sure it can probably pull more but you are really stressing the truck at the max limit. Any more will start breaking stuff. If you find yourself towing at the limit all the time then you have too small of a truck for your needs.
X2
Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #38
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Do you agree with me as far as the SUV idea goes?
Absolutely, I couldn't live without a pick-up. I'd just destroy the interior of an SUV cause I'd use it as I would a p/u bed. Unless you need the seating capacity or the dry carpeted trunk space, you're just spending a lot of extra money for nothing.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #40
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooddogg922 View Post
I know a guy that traded in his Chevy HD, and bought a Tundra with the 5.7L. According to him he says the Tundra pulls his 21 foot fully rigged and loaded bass boat better than the Chevy did. He's also got his truck lifted on 35's.
My buddy says the same thing. He has had two '05 2500 Duramax's (one ext cab long bed, the other crew cab short bed) and now he has an '08 Tundra 5.7 and says the Tundra tows better than the chevys did. He's a car dealer and tows many cars a week taking them to/from the auction.