Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Might be saying Goodbye to the Taco

Old 08-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #41
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
or dare i say it...get a 5.6l titan

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Blasphemy!!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #42
Hiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shedHiatt1991 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hiatt
Hiatt1991's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Hiatt1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaShasBoo View Post
Ok, so here is whats going on. My wife has gotten real big into horse jumping and doing the shows. Meaning that I now need to have the ability to haul a 1500lb horse, the trailer, all her gear, food and water. I won't feel safe or comfortable pulling this with the Tacoma.

Issue#1

I test drove a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Big horn 4WD with the Hemi 5.7 yesterday. Loved the looks of the truck both in and out. I loved the power of the truck as well as the handling. The price was'nt too bad either at $18,000. But, dodge is known for having horrible trannys as well as AC issues, tie rod issues and problems with u joints. I'm not too impressed with Chevy mostly because of the look the interior has. It just looks cheap to me. I will probably pick up a F250 diesel today to test drive. Thoughts?

Issue #2

My wife spoke to another lady that pulls horse trailers with a Tahoe. Now my wife has it in her head that she wants me to get an SUV to pull this trailer with. I told her that first off, SUV's we not made to pull horse trailers. That they were tailored more towards pulling boats and large families on short trips to the lake. I feel that the longer wheel base of a full size truck will be a smoother ride and a safer ride while towing. Plus I feel that a truck will hold up better to the abuse of pulling a trailer on long trips better than an SUV. Not to mention that I will not throw a few bales of hay in the back of a $40,000.00 SUV along with 50 to 100 gallons of water. Thoughts.

I hate to trade in the Taco, but i can not pull the items needed to keep my wife happy. Happy wife means happy family. I'm not against staying in the Toyota family, but I'm not to sure about the older model tundras. I do not want a brand new vehicle that is probably going to be trashed right off the bat. I also want to stay above anything older than a 2005.

So let me have it.
Maybe you should try looking at the newer tundras with the 5.7 V8. My buddy has one. LOTS of power. Also have you tried looking at any GMCs?
Old 08-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #43
Barnone
Barnone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Not for sure but here are my estimates:

Trailer- roughly 2000lbs
Horse-1 roughly 1000lbs the other roughly 1500lbs
Hay - 50lbs per bale= 100lbs to 200lbs depending how long of a trip
Water - 50 lbs depending on how long of a trip
Saddle and gear= 100 lbs
Me = 200 lbs Wife = 130lbs

About 5,180 lbs all together.
Yea, you could do it but that is too much weight for a Tacoma to safely tow. Remember that 2500 pounds of horses will be moving around in that trailer.

I just got rid of my 2004 Dodge auto 2500 4x4 diesel that I bought new for towing my cow trailer, horse trailer,tractor trailer, etc since I retired from that business and didn't need that big a truck anymore.

175,000 miles and never a bit of problem with the Dodge.

Cummings diesel is the most proven one out there in a pickup.
19 to 21 MPG towing.

Best and toughest truck that that I have ever owned and I've owned them all. Ford, Chevy, Tundra, Dodge, etc.

Edit: Next thing the wife will want is a slant load dressing room trailer. Been there done that on the barrel racing circuit.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #44
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
Final decision: Looks like I will be keeping the Taco!! Hopefully my ass starts to grow back from all the chewing it got last night.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:12 AM   #45
Oldewing
Oldewing's Tacoma Gallery
I have towed up into the 6K range with my 06 Dbl 4x4, and would not stop me from doing it on a regular basis.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 AM   #46
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Final decision: Looks like I will be keeping the Taco!! Hopefully my ass starts to grow back from all the chewing it got last night.
Uhoh, you didn't throw out the option of trading in the wife did you??
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 AM   #47
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Uh-oh, someone's in the doghouse/ stable. Hey, try it out with the Tacoma and see how it goes. I sometimes wish I had a Tundra for towing, but I love my Taco. I just take it easy when towing 60-65mph max.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:40 AM   #48
BritMike will become famous soon enough
BritMike's Tacoma Gallery
5000 lbs - with electric brakes on the trailer and a brake controller you shouldn't have any problem with a tow package fitted Taco.

Non-electric brake trailer with a 2000 lb live load in the trailer and 5000 lb gross weight - would depend on the type of roads you'll be driving on. Most flat lands, no problem at all. Lots of hills might be pushing the limits.

But, hell, you've already got the Taco so either way I'd hook it up and see how it goes before going out and buying anything.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #49
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
No.#1 Don't let your wife's friend dictate what you should or shouldn't get to pull all that shit around. An SUV to pull a tandem axle horse trailer w/horse & all the gear!! ?? Ya might as well be pulling it with a 1st. gen. w/22R (although I'm sure the 1st gen. would be better of the 2)

No.#2
Hey, I'm all for harmony in the home, happy wife & blaah,blaah, blaah. But its up to YOU to make an informed decision about what & which your going to tow with. Most the equestrians around here that trailer horses around use a 1 ton duelly, usually a Ford or Chevy, personally I like the older Ford Power Strokes, those things haul, literally.

No.#3 Keep her realistic, don't let her stomp & cry her way into a tow vehicle that isn't going to do the job it was bought for. I.e.; " Well Suzy said," etc; etc; Trust me, Suzy doesn't know shit about trucks or towing, whatever you get just research the hell out of it & good luck
Old 08-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #50
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
I'm still waiting on the dealership to call me back with numbers for the Dodge, but I told her I'm washing my hands of the whole situation.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:33 AM   #51
Fienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant futureFienoma has a brilliant future

Name: Hieu
Fienoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Fienoma
Just my two cents but my father owns a 2010 crewmax tundra 4x4..the power is great but for towing it's not so hot..He also owns a 2007 sierra 2500HD..when towing our 20' 5000lb boat on a two hour trip to the lake the tundra will barely make it with one full tank.. and thats just on the way there.. the sierra will handle it no problem, get to the lake with 1/2 tank and can take it home with out the gas light turning on. Tundra is said to get 14 city 18 highway. sierra says 12 city 15 highway but because the sierra is a HD, it says that the mpg numbers do not apply... just something to ponder
Old 08-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #52
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Keep the Tacoma, you will be surprised at how well it will tow that much weight. I tow my 6000+ boat atleast 4-5 times a month. You will def. notice a difference in MPG as I only get about 10-11 mpg and you will know its back there. But if you take your time it still get the job done. (and its looks good while doing it) I prefere the smaller size of the Tacoma over a full size. As my daily driver I wouldn't want a full size. If you are going to go with a full size, please do yourself a favor, buy a Tundra. The newer Tundras have crazy amounts of power and the Toyota reliability. I cant really say much about the reliablity of the big 3. Having had a Dodge 2500 Cummins and a 99 Silverado which were both garbage. I towed a 5000lb enclosed trailer from Cincinnati to Atlanta in a Tundra w/ the 5.7, and not once did I even know it was back there. After all said and done, you are the one driving it every day and making the payments. Do what you think is right, if you want the Dodge then go for it. GL w/ you choice.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM   #53
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienoma View Post
Just my two cents but my father owns a 2010 crewmax tundra 4x4..the power is great but for towing it's not so hot..He also owns a 2007 sierra 2500HD..when towing our 20' 5000lb boat on a two hour trip to the lake the tundra will barely make it with one full tank.. and thats just on the way there.. the sierra will handle it no problem, get to the lake with 1/2 tank and can take it home with out the gas light turning on. Tundra is said to get 14 city 18 highway. sierra says 12 city 15 highway but because the sierra is a HD, it says that the mpg numbers do not apply... just something to ponder
x2 My 2500hd silverado would get about 15mpg mixed driving.

I did a remote roofing job and hauled 16,000lbs of old roofing in a 4,000lbs dump trailer, about 200 miles and got 14mpgs at 55mph. Do that with a tundra!

i hate tundras! Nice power, whimpy chassis.

here... ive seen tundras bounce like this on the 10 and i test drove one and felt the same on the 10 (concrete highway that is a bit rough in areas)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j3PWGRrCZ4
Old 08-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #54
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, atleast your wife isn't making you buy a mini van.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 AM   #55
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by krimson View Post
Hey, atleast your wife isn't making you buy a mini van.
i got my wife a trail blazer. closest thing to a minivan that i would get her lol
Old 08-20-2010, 09:15 AM   #56
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
i got my wife a trail blazer. closest thing to a minivan that i would get her lol
Whenever i get married, that's what im going to do if she wants a vehicle to transport the kids. Ill get her an SUV not a mini van, i refuse to lose my digity driving a mini van.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #57
chich2000 is on a distinguished road
chich2000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fienoma View Post

Th reason your fuel gauge moves slower on the Sierra it's because the Sierra has a 36 gallon tank where as the tundra has a 26gal. That's like comparing my 09 Tacoma with my 06 prius. Just because I can travel roughly the same distance on a tank on both vehicles doesn't mean my Tacoma gets the same mpg as the prius!!
http://m.edmunds.com/site?t=nEYeksp9...TQ&sid=edmunds

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...00HD&trimid=-1
Old 08-20-2010, 10:16 AM   #58

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chich2000 View Post
Th reason your fuel gauge moves slower on the Sierra it's because the Sierra has a 36 gallon tank where as the tundra has a 26gal. That's like comparing my 09 Tacoma with my 06 prius. Just because I can travel roughly the same distance on a tank on both vehicles doesn't mean my Tacoma gets the same mpg as the prius!!
http://m.edmunds.com/site?t=nEYeksp9...TQ&sid=edmunds

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...00HD&trimid=-1
an extended cab short box sierra has a 26gallon tank...just sayin
Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #59

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoytoda View Post
x2 My 2500hd silverado would get about 15mpg mixed driving.
My dad has a '08 or '09 Silverado 2500 4x4 diesel extended cab short box with the Bullydog chip and he beats me on mpg with that beast. Granted, diesel is more expensive but it's impressive none the less. He'll get 22 mpg consistantly unloaded, 12 - 14 fully loaded but 15 - 16 with a load similar to the one the OP is looking at hauling.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:38 AM   #60

Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
My dad has a '08 or '09 Silverado 2500 4x4 diesel extended cab short box with the Bullydog chip and he beats me on mpg with that beast. Granted, diesel is more expensive but it's impressive none the less. He'll get 22 mpg consistantly unloaded, 12 - 14 fully loaded but 15 - 16 with a load similar to the one the OP is looking at hauling.
i had 6.0 gas with 4.10 gearing rear auto locker that came with the snow plow package from the dealer. id get 15-16 normal driving and like 13-14 towing max load. truck just got bad mileage but it didnt care if towing or not. I have hauled crazy shit with my 2500 so i really find it hard to believe a tundra tows better...