Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Might be saying Goodbye to the Taco

Old 08-19-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Forward Observer
Name: Casey
ShaShasBoo's Tacoma Gallery
Might be saying Goodbye to the Taco

Ok, so here is whats going on. My wife has gotten real big into horse jumping and doing the shows. Meaning that I now need to have the ability to haul a 1500lb horse, the trailer, all her gear, food and water. I won't feel safe or comfortable pulling this with the Tacoma.

Issue#1

I test drove a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Big horn 4WD with the Hemi 5.7 yesterday. Loved the looks of the truck both in and out. I loved the power of the truck as well as the handling. The price was'nt too bad either at $18,000. But, dodge is known for having horrible trannys as well as AC issues, tie rod issues and problems with u joints. I'm not too impressed with Chevy mostly because of the look the interior has. It just looks cheap to me. I will probably pick up a F250 diesel today to test drive. Thoughts?

Issue #2

My wife spoke to another lady that pulls horse trailers with a Tahoe. Now my wife has it in her head that she wants me to get an SUV to pull this trailer with. I told her that first off, SUV's we not made to pull horse trailers. That they were tailored more towards pulling boats and large families on short trips to the lake. I feel that the longer wheel base of a full size truck will be a smoother ride and a safer ride while towing. Plus I feel that a truck will hold up better to the abuse of pulling a trailer on long trips better than an SUV. Not to mention that I will not throw a few bales of hay in the back of a $40,000.00 SUV along with 50 to 100 gallons of water. Thoughts.

I hate to trade in the Taco, but i can not pull the items needed to keep my wife happy. Happy wife means happy family. I'm not against staying in the Toyota family, but I'm not to sure about the older model tundras. I do not want a brand new vehicle that is probably going to be trashed right off the bat. I also want to stay above anything older than a 2005.

So let me have it.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaShasBoo View Post
Issue#1

I test drove a 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Big horn 4WD with the Hemi 5.7 yesterday. Loved the looks of the truck both in and out. I loved the power of the truck as well as the handling. The price was'nt too bad either at $18,000. But, dodge is known for having horrible trannys as well as AC issues, tie rod issues and problems with u joints. I'm not too impressed with Chevy mostly because of the look the interior has. It just looks cheap to me. I will probably pick up a F250 diesel today to test drive. Thoughts?
Personally, I think Dodge still has to work out some of their issues and wouldn't touch one of their trucks. I agree, the interior on the Chevy's just look cheap. Otherwise, they're great trucks, especially the diesel w/ the allison transmission. If you can get over the interior, they're definitely worth looking into. They also tow very nicely. Lastly, the new Ford diesel is a gas hog! If you're going to get a Ford diesel, I'd look at one of the last 2 previous generations. One was a 6.? and the other was a 7.? liter. The smaller one I believe is the newer of the two and was rated to have more power than the larger one.

Everyone has their opinions about brands, consider the above my $0.02. Personally, I've owned chevy 1500's and 2500 diesels and driven plenty Ford diesel work trucks so let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
Carolina Alliance
tarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtarheelfan_08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
tarheelfan_08's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a V6 DC LB 4x4 and you should not have a problem. Toyota is reliable and you know a lot about it! Stay with them, they will not do you wrong!!! Good luck though!!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #4
07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07trd4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
07trd4x4's Tacoma Gallery
I hear you!! My wife might be getting a toy hauler and wants me to get a bigger truck as well!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
Banned
ShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedShaShasBoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Personally, I think Dodge still has to work out some of their issues and wouldn't touch one of their trucks. I agree, the interior on the Chevy's just look cheap. Otherwise, they're great trucks, especially the diesel w/ the allison transmission. If you can get over the interior, they're definitely worth looking into. They also tow very nicely. Lastly, the new Ford diesel is a gas hog! If you're going to get a Ford diesel, I'd look at one of the last 2 previous generations. One was a 6.? and the other was a 7.? liter. The smaller one I believe is the newer of the two and was rated to have more power than the larger one.

Everyone has their opinions about brands, consider the above my $0.02. Personally, I've owned chevy 1500's and 2500 diesels and driven plenty Ford diesel work trucks so let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Do you agree with me as far as the SUV idea goes?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #7
Banned
Bump for thoughts
Old 08-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
ajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ajviper7's Tacoma Gallery
What is the total estimated weight of what you will be hauling?
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #9
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Get a 4 door pick-up. If it's only you and the wife, you can fold the back seats down for cargo. If you go with an suv, you're limiting yourself to whatever fits inside= No bed. The Tundra's are nice, but not cheap. You probably could get a better deal on a Hemi Dodge. Good luck.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #10
Duff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to beholdDuff Man is a splendid one to behold
Marines: Ammunition Technician, Marine Corps Security Force Regiment
Name: Sean
Duff Man's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Duff Man
Personally id go with the 5.7 tundra.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #11
wooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwooddogg922 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Woody
wooddogg922's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to wooddogg922
I know a guy that traded in his Chevy HD, and bought a Tundra with the 5.7L. According to him he says the Tundra pulls his 21 foot fully rigged and loaded bass boat better than the Chevy did. He's also got his truck lifted on 35's.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 AM   #12
ajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedajviper7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ajviper7's Tacoma Gallery
Stay far away from the hemi dodge.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
Something about something
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
how big is the trailer?

this is a member here that tows a horse trailer with her taco...
jlvhrse send her a PM and see how her truck does pulling the trailer.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:06 AM   #14
rcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcbs204 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

rcbs204's Tacoma Gallery
Buy a Ford Raptor 6.2L, then you get the best of both worlds!!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #15
Stops Jihad on Contact.
bambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shedbambooshoots is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Kevin
bambooshoots's Tacoma Gallery
Trade in the wife?
Old 08-19-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajviper7 View Post
What is the total estimated weight of what you will be hauling?
Not for sure but here are my estimates:

Trailer- roughly 2000lbs
Horse-1 roughly 1000lbs the other roughly 1500lbs
Hay - 50lbs per bale= 100lbs to 200lbs depending how long of a trip
Water - 50 lbs depending on how long of a trip
Saddle and gear= 100 lbs
Me = 200 lbs Wife = 130lbs

About 5,180 lbs all together.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #17
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
i bought a 95 suburban 2500 deisel for $2800 five years ago. it currently has 370k and still running strong as hell. my father co-owns a marina/ boat shipping co and uses the burb to tow huge boats. we hauled a 32' sail boat (8-10k lbs.) from ny to wisconsin. then hauled a 28 ft cabin cruiser 8-10k lbs backto ny. no problem. SUVs (the right ones) are the same chassis as a pickup but with attached enclosed storage. tahoes and burbs tow awesome. i also had a 3/5 ton 05 chevy 2500hd 4x4. that truck was a tank too.

We also own a large portable band sawmill that weighs 13k and the burb has pulled it no problem.

Also, just an FYI toyota gets alot of their diesel engines from Isuzu. Isuzu also makes the duramax for chevy
Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 AM   #18
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambooshoots View Post
Trade in the wife?
Now that would be a very expensive route to take. I tried to get her into softball or knitting, but she didnt like either of those.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #19
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
A full size SUV will tow just fine if you get the right one. Look at Excursions with the 7.3 diesel engine. The 6.0 is crap. A Suburban 2500 will tow just fine. My friend's parents towed a fairly large trailer just fine with a Suburban 1500 with the 5.3.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:25 AM   #20
Cajun Taceaux
zeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedzeeya2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
zeeya2000's Tacoma Gallery
stay with a yota. tundra with a 5.7, good towing capacity shouldnt have any problems with it.
then when you get a little adventurous drop in the TRD s/c - pushing 504 at the crank, it can be a toy hauler and a fun toy.