Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Too early to tow?

Old 07-03-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
Member of the Goat Army
billybobsgoat will become famous soon enough

billybobsgoat's Tacoma Gallery
Too early to tow?

I just got my truck a month ago 2008 TRD Offroad V6 manual 6 speed, it currently has about 600 miles on it, I am moving (12 miles away) and i am going to rent a 6' x 12' Uhaul trailer and my approximate weight in tow will not exceed 3000 lbs I guess I am wondering if it is too early "break in period" to tow?? any suggestions will be welcome, Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Does the manual state anything about not towing before a certain time/mileage? ....I doubt it, but you'd better look through your manual just in case.

Normally I'd recommend to wait - but - in a case where you need it...then by all means USE IT. You bought the truck for many reasons and I'm sure one of them was to help you move.....

Haul away my friend. Be careful and go *easy* on her.

Good Luck with the move!
Old 07-03-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Member of the Goat Army
billybobsgoat will become famous soon enough

billybobsgoat's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the response, I have decided to wait till 1k before I tow, I will just take a few extra trips I figure the gas I will be spending would of gone to the Trailer co for rental anyways.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Ridingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidingontrd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: '83-'87 Hull Tech.
Name: Richard
Ridingontrd's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to Ridingontrd
Maintenance book.Did you get one? Pretty sure that info is there.500 miles before towing.1000 miles breakin oil change.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:29 AM   #6
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobsgoat View Post
Thanks for the response, I have decided to wait till 1k before I tow, I will just take a few extra trips I figure the gas I will be spending would of gone to the Trailer co for rental anyways.
Even better ....and that's logical thinking!
Old 07-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
silver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedsilver07taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: COIL
silver07taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to silver07taco
I drove my taco off the lot and picked up a trailer full of firewood didnt seem bother anything with 7 miles on it.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #8
robinsonda1 is on a distinguished road
Army:
robinsonda1's Tacoma Gallery
I know the manual says to wait for at least 1k but I have the auto.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:05 PM   #9
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Normal break-in procedures are bunk. New engines are so finely machined and set up that long, easy break-ins are not effective.

Let the engine warm up to operating temps and drive it normally or even a bit hard if you are going to drive normally. I prefer breaking engines in on a dyno or on a track. So towing after 1K miles or after 7 miles- It's not gunna do anything to the truck- as long as you drive right for towing a trailer.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm for a better outline of the "advanced" technique.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
ofrd4fun is on a distinguished road
ofrd4fun's Tacoma Gallery
I think that the 500 mile "break-in", or whatever the mileage recommended by the manufacturer, is to allow the rear end gears to mesh correctly. Nissan is very strict about this for the Titan. They say to do a few heat cycles for the rear end before towing.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
My other ride weighs 200 tons
4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4x4trd is one of the sharper tools in the shed

4x4x4trd's Tacoma Gallery
manual says don't tow a trailer for first 500 miles. Avoid hard stops first 200 miles.

For the first 1000 miles. No full throttle acceleration, don't drive slowly in high gear with a manual, don't drive a long time at a set speed fast or slow.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #12
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Tow it like you stole it !