1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Weight Distribution Hitch

Discussion in 'Towing' started by belfoos, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Aug 30, 2010 at 12:12 PM
    belfoos

belfoos [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefaan
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    2.7l Tacoma 4 cyl
    I am planning on towing a pop-up tent trailer (dry weight 1700lbs, GVWR 2600lbs, 10foot box) with my 2008 tacoma manual, 4 cylinder, standard cab. The trailer has electric brakes and I will definitely get an anti sway device.

Should I get a weight distribution hitch as well or is the trailer too light to use this?

Since this is my first time towing with a manual, will taking off be quite different from when I am not towing (i.e. will I need to use more clutch,...)?

2. Aug 30, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    Kazz

Kazz Active Member

Member:
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4x4
    No Mods yet

The anti sway device is all you really need with that weight. Saying that a weight distribution device will not hurt, I thinks it overkill. I pull a 16ft cargo trailer loaded to 5000lbs with no weight distribution hitch and it pulls nicely. Remember overkill is never a bad thing and its your comfort level and experience that counts.

3. Aug 30, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    You won't even notice that thing behind you. That's a light and low trailer. You don't even need the anti-sway device but they're not a bad idea. You'll have to use a little more clutch on the take-off but not too much. It'll be like starting on a hill, just takes half a second more to get everything moving. After that, no difference, shift normal and always remember your towing something. You can't accelerate and stop as quickly as when you're unloaded.

4. Aug 30, 2010 at 6:10 PM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    With regards to shifting, in the higher gears, you will need more rpm to accelerate normally. But you probably knew that. I towed a 2700# popup over 1000 miles with my previous Taco (09 4cyl 4X4). Never any issues, ample power on flat roads. 5th gear would pull it most of the time, 4th was smoother, but 1-2 mpg loss. With a 12' popup, I never required equalizer (but mine was a 4WD with the 4 leafs), or sway control. Perfect truck for what you are doing IMO. As for braking, get a good quality brake controller, and you can stop as if you are not even towing. As for hooking up the brake cntroller, you will need to install wiring to feed power to the controller, and from there to the rear of the truck, you may want to run a charging line at the same time to charge the rv battery.
    Have fun!

Products Discussed in

To Top