Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Weight Distribution Hitch

Old 08-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #1
belfoos is on a distinguished road
Name: Stefaan
belfoos's Tacoma Gallery
Weight Distribution Hitch

I am planning on towing a pop-up tent trailer (dry weight 1700lbs, GVWR 2600lbs, 10foot box) with my 2008 tacoma manual, 4 cylinder, standard cab. The trailer has electric brakes and I will definitely get an anti sway device.

Should I get a weight distribution hitch as well or is the trailer too light to use this?

Since this is my first time towing with a manual, will taking off be quite different from when I am not towing (i.e. will I need to use more clutch,...)?
Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Kazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to allKazz is a name known to all
Kazz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfoos View Post
I am planning on towing a pop-up tent trailer (dry weight 1700lbs, GVWR 2600lbs, 10foot box) with my 2008 tacoma manual, 4 cylinder, standard cab. The trailer has electric brakes and I will definitely get an anti sway device.

Should I get a weight distribution hitch as well or is the trailer too light to use this?

Since this is my first time towing with a manual, will taking off be quite different from when I am not towing (i.e. will I need to use more clutch,...)?

The anti sway device is all you really need with that weight. Saying that a weight distribution device will not hurt, I thinks it overkill. I pull a 16ft cargo trailer loaded to 5000lbs with no weight distribution hitch and it pulls nicely. Remember overkill is never a bad thing and its your comfort level and experience that counts.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:46 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by belfoos View Post

You won't even notice that thing behind you. That's a light and low trailer. You don't even need the anti-sway device but they're not a bad idea. You'll have to use a little more clutch on the take-off but not too much. It'll be like starting on a hill, just takes half a second more to get everything moving. After that, no difference, shift normal and always remember your towing something. You can't accelerate and stop as quickly as when you're unloaded.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 PM   #4
Banned
Isthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shedIsthatahemi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Isthatahemi's Tacoma Gallery
With regards to shifting, in the higher gears, you will need more rpm to accelerate normally. But you probably knew that. I towed a 2700# popup over 1000 miles with my previous Taco (09 4cyl 4X4). Never any issues, ample power on flat roads. 5th gear would pull it most of the time, 4th was smoother, but 1-2 mpg loss. With a 12' popup, I never required equalizer (but mine was a 4WD with the 4 leafs), or sway control. Perfect truck for what you are doing IMO. As for braking, get a good quality brake controller, and you can stop as if you are not even towing. As for hooking up the brake cntroller, you will need to install wiring to feed power to the controller, and from there to the rear of the truck, you may want to run a charging line at the same time to charge the rv battery.
Have fun!