Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

RV Towing

Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
cjman is on a distinguished road
cjman's Tacoma Gallery
RV Towing

Has anyone used a drive shaft disconnect to allow 2010 TRD PreRunner to be towed behind a motor home on 4 wheels? It is not a 4WD, but does have the electronic differential lock.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Search the towing section if you haven't already. I recall seeing something about that a while back. Don't remember the outcome.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not only interested in the drive shaft disconnect, I want to know about towing a 4wd with all 4 wheels rolling , how disconnected are the front wheels when in 2wd ?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
I'm not only interested in the drive shaft disconnect, I want to know about towing a 4wd with all 4 wheels rolling , how disconnected are the front wheels when in 2wd ?
There is a front axle disconnect on the passenger side axle tube but the diff still spins internally because the driver side wheel is permanently connected to the diff. The drive shaft doesn't spin though. Check the manual for proper towing procedures. If you notice most vehicles towed by an RV are some type of 4wd vehicle usually with a manual transfer case so neutral can be selected.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:19 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I just looked at the manual and it says not to tow a Tacoma behind an RV with the wheels on the ground.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
senna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to beholdsenna is a splendid one to behold
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
There is a front axle disconnect on the passenger side axle tube but the diff still spins internally because the driver side wheel is permanently connected to the diff. The drive shaft doesn't spin though. Check the manual for proper towing procedures. If you notice most vehicles towed by an RV are some type of 4wd vehicle usually with a manual transfer case so neutral can be selected.
This is for my brother who is considering a Tacoma, but wants to be able to tow it behind his rv. When he told me this, we both said, the transfer case has no neutral . Today he called and said he found some info on the drive shaft disconnect for the rear, so he wanted to know how the front disconnected.

So, for the front, driving or being towed are essentially the same thing. When in 2wd.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just looked at the manual and it says not to tow a Tacoma behind an RV with the wheels on the ground.
OK, disregard my comment about towing and driving being the same thing
Old 01-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna View Post
OK, disregard my comment about towing and driving being the same thing
No you are kinda right. Both wheels are spinning in both situations.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
senna's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No you are kinda right. Both wheels are spinning in both situations.
I wonder, if by saying not to tow the tacoma, it is mainly because of the rear drive shaft. Once you go to the rear disconnect, might actually be ok.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
Buckeye Member
cc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcc350 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HT1st Class
Name: Chas
cc350's Tacoma Gallery
Best bet for towing a 4wd Tacoma would be to load it on a car hauler trailer.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
trd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd2001 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
trd2001's Tacoma Gallery
I did some research for this for my Dad who was looking for a Tacoma to tow behind his RV. On a Tacoma, when its in 2wd, the front drive shaft is disconnected. This is how my 08 Tacoma was before I sold it. You have to buy the drive shaft disconnect for the rear, which for the Remco one is 900.00 plus. They disconnect the rear shaft at the axle housing. He was a bit weary, so he ended up finding a Jeep Cherokee 4x4 to tow behind the RV. He is still looking at a Tacoma, since the Jeep is not practical as an everyday vehicle.