1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Travel Trailer Options

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Old Time Camper, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Sep 19, 2010 at 9:35 AM
    Old Time Camper

Old Time Camper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner 2WD TRD
    Running Boards
    15161(4).jpgI have a 2006 crew cab Prerunner TRD and I'm looking for a Travel Trailer that my vehicle can handle without being another hazard on our counties highways. I'm leaning towards a Jayco X19H, but my wife really likes the X23B. I just don't want to over task the vehicle or make the driving experience a white knuckle drive. I have pulled many types of trailers with my 2000 Tundra, but I traded it in for a few reasons, one of them being transmission issues. I'm trying to be smarter about what I did wrong before, like adding a brake controller which I did just recently to my Taco. I tried to calculate the vehicle weight, towing capacity and figure the stuff & people I'd be transporting. If someone can fill me in to some experiences and cautions I should take into consideration, please reply. :help:

Looking to order new in Feb 2011.

2. Sep 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    FYI. If you list the weights on both TT's, it would give us a better idea of which way to guide you. To begin, the towing capacity with a tow package is 6500lbs. I wouldn't tow a trailer over 5000 lbs loaded. That way you've got a little reserve power in the tank. You're on the right track with a brake controller and Weight Distributing Hitch. You may also look into rear air bags to keep it level. Tow it in "4" not drive and plan on about 10-12 mpg.

3. Sep 20, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    Old Time Camper

Old Time Camper [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner 2WD TRD
    Running Boards
    [FONT=&quot]Here are the size of trailers, but not sure if all options I want are included...

Jayco X19H Dry Weight – 3,615/ (GVW 4,950) or Jayco X23B [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dry Weight - 4,165 / (GVW 4,950)

Thanks again for your input...

Would a turbo charger help? LOL
    :headbang:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

4. Sep 21, 2010 at 9:20 PM
    Black Taco

Black Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    WPB, FL
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA
    No mods whatsoever!
    The X23B with the slide-out is nice! For the little weight difference, I'd go with that one. You'll still be under 5000# loaded unless you fill the fresh water tank.
    The supercharger costs alot of money, and it's not going to give you a higher tow capacity or much better gas mileage. Save your money. Definitely look into rear air bags. If you're buying new, negotiate to have the WD hitch and brake control installed. They gave it to me for cost when I got mine.

5. Sep 27, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    savagerat

savagerat desertratman

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2000 tacoma 4x4
    2 inch lift
    I am selling a 01 Catalina Lite 249B trailer and the best weight dist and sway control set up for this trailer that I had for my 2010 Tacoma. Trailer wt is 3800lbs empty with 5,400 gross wt. The weight dist hitch is a Straightline with Reese dual cam sway control. Brand new set up. Also have a Goldline trailer cover that is one month old. Will throw in the Pro lll brake control too. Also the best set up for your Tacoma. The trailer in excellent cond. So you know these catalina lite trailers are perfect for a Tacoma

6. Sep 28, 2010 at 2:57 AM
    psmcn

psmcn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Rockville Md
    Remember that the dry weight listed in the brochures are a starting point and bare bones w/o A/C. You should find the model you want and get the actual weight from the yellow sticker on the unit. I'm buying a Rockwood mini-lite 1809. The brochures says the UVW is 2952 but the actual UVW of my unit with the options I want is 3345. MAke sure that when you consider weight you consider everything that you may be hauling to get a gross weight. Good luck in your hunt.

Paul

7. Sep 30, 2010 at 6:24 PM
    Johnnie

Johnnie Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    Not sure how small you want to go but have you seen the Trail Lite Batam Flier? Its nice and compact and if I remember it weighs about 3k lbs. Im considering one of these for next summer.

8. Oct 10, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    What about the R-Vision Trail Lite Crossover 230BH.

Here is the brochure.

It;s the trailer I'm thinking about getting.

It weighs only 3100 empty (max 6000 full). So the total towing weight would depend on how much junk you put into the trailer. You can tow with the water/waste tanks empty and then fill them when you get to the campsite and empty them before you leave.

Then you could sleep inside the trailer instead of sleeping in the little slide out tents that the hybrids come with. A few of my friends purchased the hybrid and only used them one or two years before they "upgraded" to a non-hybrid.

Cheers.

Products Discussed in

To Top