Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Brake controller install

Old 10-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #1
shutch78 is on a distinguished road
Name: Shannon
shutch78's Tacoma Gallery
Brake controller install

What does the pre-installed brake controller plug in a 2010 Tacoma with the towing package installed look like?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
I put a P2 in my 08 today. My connector is behind the left kick panel near the parking brake. It was tucked back there and it has a very short lead. The plug and play pigtail I ordered with my P2 is used on the2007- 2011so I'm guessing they are the same.

Here is where mine is behind the left kick panel
Old 10-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
Can you confirm the wire colours on that plug? Pleeeease
I may not be back in there for a while but like I said, the lead is very short and taped I'd have to cut the tape or take my eyeball out of the socket to get back there for the colors. I'm sure the plug is unique for the controller plug and play. It's the only open plug down there.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcn View Post
I may not be back in there for a while but like I said, the lead is very short and taped I'd have to cut the tape or take my eyeball out of the socket to get back there for the colors. I'm sure the plug is unique for the controller plug and play. It's the only open plug down there.
OK thanks I think I found it.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
King of The Dirt
bigjoetacoma will become famous soon enoughbigjoetacoma will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
bigjoetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to bigjoetacoma
I have an 05 trd access cab. If it has the factory plug for the brake controller what do I need to get for at the back where I plug the trailer in? Right now I have the reese t-connector 4 pin flat?
Old 11-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #7
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjoetacoma View Post
I have an 05 trd access cab. If it has the factory plug for the brake controller what do I need to get for at the back where I plug the trailer in? Right now I have the reese t-connector 4 pin flat?
I too would like to dis info-ma-shuns.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Then best thing may be to ask a Toy service tech and see if they know. You may just have to run the wires yourself to be sure or do a continuity test on the ones you have. The instructions that come with the controllers are straight forward about what and how you need to wire.

Just do it!! Nothing like a good challenge

Paul
Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #9
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Take a look at my response in this thread:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-question.html

It's thread #14.

If you're looking to use a brake controller, you'll need a 7-pin connector for the back of the truck. Any questions, just ask.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #10
King of The Dirt
bigjoetacoma will become famous soon enoughbigjoetacoma will become famous soon enough
Name: Joe
bigjoetacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to bigjoetacoma
I 've looked at aftermarket 7 pins...they have 3 extra wires and a ground...where do I splice the 3 wires to?
Old 11-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
I 've looked at aftermarket 7 pins...they have 3 extra wires and a ground...where do I splice the 3 wires to?
See here: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

In the first table on that pages, the first four lines match your 4-pin connector.

The blue pin supplies the brake signal to the trailer brakes. This signal originates from the output of the brake controller. I spliced the blue wire on my brake controller to the blue wire on the 7-pin connector.

The purple pin is for trailer reverse lights. When I installed my 7-pin connector I wired this pin to a switch in the cab so I could manually control these lights.

The black pin provides 12 V battery DC to the trailer - I think is provides charging voltage for a breakaway system and power 12 V accessories from the truck, but I might be wrong.

Connect the ground to the frame of the truck or run a wore back to the battery. I connected it to the frame.