Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Motorcycle Carriers

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #21
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
i wouldnt worry about the timbren kit just yet...
its not like you are gonna drive around with it hangin off the back all the time just occasional i assume...
just dont drive it like a sports car......
Wait were you talking about a ramp or a hitch carrier?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:16 PM   #22
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
hitch carrier
Old 10-14-2010, 04:13 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
hope your cheap ass tail gate doesnt crumple under
I load mine with a ramp thats about 12 inches wide and it's a short bed so the rear tire is on the tail gate when I'm traveling. No issues with the tail gate folding, cracking, breaking etc... The rear end of the sports bikes aren't that heavy.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 PM   #24
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone with experience on the hitch carrier chime in?

Also, experiences with sagging leafs? All of these miles of transportation will be highway so I would like to keep things safe at high speeds.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #25
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
i vote hitch carrier
Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #26
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone with experience on the hitch carrier chime in?
Old 10-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #27
speedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shedspeedfreek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
speedfreek's Tacoma Gallery
Hey NumNutz. I just picked up a Trackside ramp from Cycle Gear last week they were on sale for half off for $70. A few of the guys I ride with have something similar and load a bike in their trucks with no issues. I am not nervous as to getting the bike in the truck, its more of backing it back down the ramp afterwards.

Trackside Ramp
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=ZHE_ATV-002

This guy makes it look easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCNK-Fs4jN4
Old 10-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #28
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=speedfreek;2280118]Hey NumNutz. I just picked up a Trackside ramp from Cycle Gear last week they were on sale for half off for $70. A few of the guys I ride with have something similar and load a bike in their trucks with no issues. I am not nervous as to getting the bike in the truck, its more of backing it back down the ramp afterwards.

Trackside Ramp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCNK-Fs4jN4[/quote]

Thanks impressive! I can't load mine with a single ramp, I'm short and need one to walk up alongside the bike.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #29
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Thanks impressive! I can't load mine with a single ramp, I'm short and need one to walk up alongside the bike.
I was gonna say the same thing. I really need something MUCH wider than that. How much sag comes from your average sport bike? Is it that noticeable?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:31 PM   #30
iSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iSTIZO99's Tacoma Gallery
I've thought about a hitch carrier too since I could save bed space for the rest of the cargo if I'm going out on long trips outta state. But unless you get the weaker stock 3-leaf springs swapped out, I'd highly doubt it would be a solid ride. I still would like a hitch carrier though.

OP is that bike in your sig the one you're wanting to transport?
Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 PM   #31
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSTIZO99 View Post
I've thought about a hitch carrier too since I could save bed space for the rest of the cargo if I'm going out on long trips outta state. But unless you get the weaker stock 3-leaf springs swapped out, I'd highly doubt it would be a solid ride. I still would like a hitch carrier though.

OP is that bike in your sig the one you're wanting to transport?
Yup, GS500F it's about 415 lbs. I believe.

I'm selling this bike soon to update to a 600cc but weight shouldn't be too much different.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #32
iSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shediSTIZO99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iSTIZO99's Tacoma Gallery
Yea mine's probably around 430 lbs wet.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 PM   #33
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSTIZO99 View Post
Yea mine's probably around 430 lbs wet.
What year CBR is that? I'm in the market for a early 00s 600.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 PM   #34
squamish VFR will become famous soon enoughsquamish VFR will become famous soon enough

Canadian Coast Guard: Auxiliary volunteer
squamish VFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreek View Post
Hey NumNutz. I just picked up a Trackside ramp from Cycle Gear last week they were on sale for half off for $70. A few of the guys I ride with have something similar and load a bike in their trucks with no issues. I am not nervous as to getting the bike in the truck, its more of backing it back down the ramp afterwards.

Trackside Ramp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCNK-Fs4jN4

that's the bike i have...sounds so sweet don't it?
Old 12-03-2010, 12:05 AM   #35
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Dude!!! you have a truck! not an rav4
Old 12-03-2010, 12:22 AM   #36
dirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to behold
dirtfondler's Tacoma Gallery
Hitch carriers are fine, and as long as used properly, they are safer at highway speed than a trailer. I made my own hitch carrier and have been using it for 8 or 9 years. In my longbed, I can fit two dirtbikes in the bed and a 3rd on the carrier. That definitely causes it to drag a$$ though.

The distance from the back of the truck is defined by the handlebars so switching the ramp and bike location as noted above doesnt really work on most vehicles. Might be able to get away with it on a pickup without a cap, but that's it.

If you want the bike put it in your truck, check out readyramp.com. Great product. I used one of these too, depending on the situation.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #37
DanKearney is on a distinguished road
Army: '83-'86 & '91-'95 USA Signal Corps
Name: Dan
DanKearney's Tacoma Gallery

Ready to Roll. . .

Dan K.
Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #38

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKearney View Post

Ready to Roll. . .

Dan K.
Damn, that's impressive. Have you upgraded your front suspension? That looks like an XT, how big is the bike? I'm curious now! I wouldn't want a 400+lb sport bike up front like that, I'd plow the road, haha.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM   #39
DanKearney is on a distinguished road
Army: '83-'86 & '91-'95 USA Signal Corps
Name: Dan
DanKearney's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Damn, that's impressive. Have you upgraded your front suspension? That looks like an XT, how big is the bike? I'm curious now! I wouldn't want a 400+lb sport bike up front like that, I'd plow the road, haha.
Stock suspension. Handles it with no problem. That is an XT225. About 250lbs. wet. I've been doing this for 5 years.

Only problem is that I cannot drive at night because the headlights are blocked. I added external turn signal indicators which I attach to the forward facing area of the bike.

Gotta take it easy off pavement to ensure I don't drive the front carrier into the ground while driving. This setup has served me well out in Moab and the forest service roads of Colorado.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Products Discussed in this Thread