Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Motorcycle Carriers

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Student Pilot
Name: Nick
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Motorcycle Carriers

So I'm in the market for a motorcycle carrier. I don't really want to buy a whole trailer so I was thinking one of the trailer hitch motorcycle carriers would work?

Anyone have any opinions on them?

http://www.discountramps.com/smc-600...cle-hauler.htm

Bike is 415lbs.
Rack is 100lbs.

So it looks like it will be under the 650lbs. tongue weight rating for the truck but is the rating I'm suppose to be looking at?
Old 10-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #2
brettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrettb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
brettb's Tacoma Gallery
Probably will make your truck sag a bunch because of how far weight is off the hitch.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
The Little Truck That Could
Yoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shedYoytoda is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roland
Yoytoda's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettb View Post
Probably will make your truck sag a bunch because of how far weight is off the hitch.
x2 if i had a hitch id probably make one. If id do it id want the bike to site closer to the tail gate and put the ramp further back. Opposite of the picture
Old 10-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
jodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjodiddly33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonah
jodiddly33's Tacoma Gallery
those things have always seemed really weak to me
Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
One of the original 7928
NumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shedNumNutz is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Bump. Anymore ideas.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't want that much weight that far behind the bumper. Seems like it'd sag and sway horribly. There are foldable trailers also, I know you said you didn't want one but the folding ones don't take much room when stowed.

If you're only hauling one bike, why not just use the pick-up?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:59 PM   #7
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I wouldn't want that much weight that far behind the bumper. Seems like it'd sag and sway horribly. There are foldable trailers also, I know you said you didn't want one but the folding ones don't take much room when stowed.

If you're only hauling one bike, why not just use the pick-up?
It's pretty hard to load and unload with a ramp isn't it? I'm a pretty small guy.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
toytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant futuretoytacoma22 has a brilliant future
Name: Jason
toytacoma22's Tacoma Gallery
My dad uses one on his 08 4runner it works just fine. I would buy one to haul my bike around.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #9
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
Not to mention they seem really expensive.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #10
BarkSlayer is on a distinguished road

Name: Jim
BarkSlayer's Tacoma Gallery
I had one back in the early nineties - factory built from virgin Canadian steel, and my bike only weighed 235 lbs. The unit itself was so heavy, it took four men and a boy to carry it. I never trusted the thing and with all the weight back there, it made my vehicle handle weird. I'd say only if you must, otherwise, get yourself a nice, wide aluminum ATV ramp and run it up into the bed. With 400+ lbs. there, everything works as it should.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
PatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud ofPatSully has much to be proud of

Name: Pat
PatSully's Tacoma Gallery
i use a 3 fold ramp from harbor freight, its ok and i can ride my bike up into the bed and roll it back off by myself. the front wheel slides a bit on the plastic bed, but i can modulate that.

another way to make is easier is to have 2 ramps, one to walk on and another for the bike to roll on. thats what i used to o with my buddy's truck before i had my own.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:11 PM   #12
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NumNutz View Post
It's pretty hard to load and unload with a ramp isn't it? I'm a pretty small guy.
Nope, I do it with my bike all the time and I'm not overly large (5' 9" 170lb and my bike weighs 450ish, it's a Katana 750). If you can find a ditch to back into so the climb up the ramp isn't as bad, or even a level drive in, it helps tremendously. Even backing up to a curb to pick up 6 inches helps out. I have a set of the folding aluminum ramps. You just need 2 ramps, one for the bike, one for you and you walk beside it and feather the clutch and walk it up the ramp. If you're nervous about it, have a spotter the first time. If you're really really nervous about it, you're probably better off finding another solution like the hitch mount or a trailer.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #13
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't be apposed to getting a ramp but just nervous about falling with it. Spotter isn't a bad idea.

I'd want a really easy to use I guess. Like this one is pretty cool and seems easy but expensive as hell.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramps.htm
Old 10-14-2010, 02:19 PM   #14

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I wouldn't be apposed to getting a ramp but just nervous about falling with it. Spotter isn't a bad idea.

I'd want a really easy to use I guess. Like this one is pretty cool and seems easy but expensive as hell.

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle_ramps.htm
That looks like it'd be a pain to haul around with the motorcycle in the bed. I like the folding ones because they're light weight and fold down small so you can put them in the bed of the truck along with the motorcycle.

As far as getting a bike on the back of a pick-up with ramps, take your time, let the bike do the work, this takes an even hand on the clutch and make sure you warm up the engine because you don't want it to stall on the ramps. Line it up, I usually run it up the ramp a foot or two to make sure the line I'm on is correct, then back it down and go for it. Keep the RPM's constant (about 1/3-1/2 throttle depending on the bike, about 1/2 for your sport bike) and vary the power and speed with the clutch. If you find a ditch, hill or curb to back up to, you can cut down the angle so it's almost no incline for a ramp at all.

When you take it off the truck, use the front brake while you back it off. You don't want the tire to lose traction and skid so use the brake to slow it down, don't attempt to stop it on the ramp. Make sure you have plenty of room behind the truck so you can roll it off the ramp and still have 5 - 6 foot for it to roll without hitting anything.

I make a chock for the front tire for my truck out of random 2x4's I had sitting around. The front wall on the composite box isn't very stiff and allows the bike tire to turn. I transport the bike straight in the box, I don't angle it like some people here. I have a short bed so angling still will not allow me to close the tail gate, and angling makes it harder to load/unload vs straight in, straight out.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #15
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
What about this one?

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-bike-ramp.htm

Cheaper and folds but it's shorter.
Old 10-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #16
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
dude i have used one for many years with my dirt bike and one for a few years that held my quad.....
your truck will sag a bit but it is well worth the convience
i loved it ....it worked amazing......
g/l
Old 10-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
What about this one?

http://www.discountramps.com/motorcycle-bike-ramp.htm

Cheaper and folds but it's shorter.
hope your cheap ass tail gate doesnt crumple under
Old 10-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
One of the original 7928
NumNutz's Tacoma Gallery
So what about a motorcycle ramp and a Timbren kit to take control of the sagging?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
BIG DADDY

i wouldnt worry about the timbren kit just yet...
its not like you are gonna drive around with it hangin off the back all the time just occasional i assume...
just dont drive it like a sports car......
Old 10-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #20
BIG DADDY

oh mine cam with the ramp right on the bike carrier.... it was sweet and easy
lazy man bike carrier

Products Discussed in this Thread