Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Who says you can't tow with a Tacoma? :)

Old 10-26-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
guybmoto is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
guybmoto's Tacoma Gallery
Who says you can't tow with a Tacoma? :)

I did something over 14,400 miles last summer driving my Tacoma all over the U.S., with an 18-foot travel trailer in tow.

Along the way I did some reports on it. Rather than copy/paste here, it's probably easier to point you to the spot where I did them at.

Part 1 is here...
http://www.lightweightcamperforum.co...opic.php?t=797

Part 2 is here...
http://www.lightweightcamperforum.co...opic.php?t=834

I've been home for about five weeks, and I'm already starting to get the itch to do it again next summer.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
once flirted with danger, danger got clingy
magikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmagikbean562 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: greg
magikbean562's Tacoma Gallery
good job in putting the taco to use
Old 12-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
GoatFiddyone is on a distinguished road

GoatFiddyone's Tacoma Gallery
HAHA!!! Welcome Guy B!! When I saw you post your summer plans on Vital with the Tacoma in the pictures, I wondered if you would post up on here.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
The1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shedThe1youluv2hate is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peps
The1youluv2hate's Tacoma Gallery
Verry Cool and I like the wildlife in the yellow shirts 2
Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Actually, according to the manufacturer and all available knowledge, it can tow many thousands of pounds.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Actually, according to the manufacturer and all available knowledge, it can tow many thousands of pounds.
When I first started asking about it before pulling the trigger on it last summer, I had quite a few responses from friends suggested that it was too small, underpowered, and that I'd basically kill the engine and tranny during the course of the summer.

I'm already planning to go for it again next year.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
That had to be an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing. It's reassuring to know the Tacoma is capable of handling that. I wish I could tag along with my camper. Think you can get me a sponsor? Maybe Shell Oil. j/k.

Btw, what was your towing fuel mileage average, 10 or so? Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybmoto View Post
When I first started asking about it before pulling the trigger on it last summer, I had quite a few responses from friends suggested that it was too small, underpowered, and that I'd basically kill the engine and tranny during the course of the summer.

I'm already planning to go for it again next year.

Are these friends Domestic-Drivin', Japs-Cain't-Bild-No-Trucks! type fools who drive "rugged" trucks built by union labor that shit the tranny at 60k?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Taco View Post

Btw, what was your towing fuel mileage average, 10 or so? Thanks.
Between 10 and 12, depending on headwinds, hills, and how many drafting partners I had.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
I <3 Taco's
YeahBoyyy is on a distinguished road

YeahBoyyy's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandrews View Post
Are these friends Domestic-Drivin', Japs-Cain't-Bild-No-Trucks! type fools who drive "rugged" trucks built by union labor that shit the tranny at 60k?
Nah, I just think it was guys who underestimate what they can do, and have no sense of adventure.