Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

any experience w/ uhaul trailers?

Old 12-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
A_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shedA_Ninja_Racer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Medicaly Discharged 13M
A_Ninja_Racer's Tacoma Gallery
2nd hens don't have an o/d button. They have 1, 2, 3, 4, abduction D. D is.our o/d.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 PM   #22
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
K so keep it in (4) so the rpm revs higher even though it sounds like the engine is working harder but its really not? Thanks!

Oh how I wish my truck was stock right now. Gas will suck!! Hahah yeah and 2nd gens don't have the "OD button". I knew what you meant though because I used to have a 2002 double cab.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #23
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
pics later but uhaul blows, showed up clear on the other end of town and they didnt have the 5x8 that was ordered. send up to another spot and wound up with the 6x12

super impressed with my t100 ... towed good and 16 mpg doing it! pics later
Old 12-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #24
Resident T100 guy
97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed97T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Melt
97T's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 97T
heres the pics .... this is my first time towing anything with my t100, otherwise heavist thing ive hauled so far is my ATV

in san francisco ... by the way the bridge toll over the golden gate was $12!! they charge per axle

when summer comes and my dad hasnt bought a motorhome yet, ill likely have to flat tow his 59 cj5 jeep up to the mtns for our family camping trip, should be great and a hell of a lot better than towing it with my old 4cyl 99 mazda
Old 01-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #25
northside is on a distinguished road
northside's Tacoma Gallery
Hey, just wanted to update and say that the Tacoma did great towing the 6x12. Had some crappy conditions right off the bat with snow and ice, the trailer wanted to push a bit down hills but I just downshifted early and took it easy and had no problems. Dropped into 4wd for some icy climbs to get better traction as well, that was a heavy load! (trailer was 1920 lbs empty, and I filled it)

Once the roads were clear I occasionally found myself doing 75 mph+ without any bad behaviors from the truck or trailer. As always though, one of my favorite things about towing a trailer is unhitching it and getting back the truck you remember!

Never actually checked mileage, but I expected to be stopping for gas a lot more often than I did so it couldn't have been bad.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
Supreme Ruler
Snowman11 is on a distinguished road

Name: Snow
Snowman11's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTacoma02 View Post
Thanks for the thread. I am towing their 6x12 tonight around 1030 back to oregon. Seems like I did good loading as I tried getting the bigger heavier box in first. On post 13 it says do not tow in OD. Now on the 2nd gen Tacomas does that mean I should leave it on regular drive or no? Thanks!!

EDIT: I got my tires at 35psi(discount tires set them there after I rotated/balanced my tires) I was going to go 40psi in back and about 38 in the front..any suggestions? Tires are 285 75 16 bfg km2
The overdrive is for the older models. X2 on 4th gear if you have the newer style auto. That reduces only by a little so it is essentially the same thing.

Tire pressure? Read what your tire says on it and keep it close to max PSI for towing.

I hauled a Uhaul 6x12 with a 2000 F150 and with a '05 Frontier. Both were the same - the brake built into the hitch constantly jerks you around on all bumps but it's livable. I didn't think braking was bad due to the hitch brake however these little V6's won't pull well up hills so take it easy. Make sure you change the trans fluid and rear diff fluid after your trip.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #27
Mayday
mmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmmadej87 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Veteran
Name: Mike
mmadej87's Tacoma Gallery
heres mine towing a 6x12:

it did good, i did however experience the tranny wanting to constantly downshift, i drove this bad boy from south florida to western washington..total weight including trailer came out to around 3600lbs..i couldnt put it in cruise control because it wanted to downshift, even on flat ground, i just adjusted throttle according to how the truck felt, i can kinda sense when its gonna downshift
Old 01-29-2011, 06:49 PM   #28
Gimme some mud n ull have a good time
sil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsil3ncer7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
sil3ncer7's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to sil3ncer7
Quote:
Originally Posted by northside View Post
I'm moving from Colorado to Canmore, AB next month and I'm planning to rent a trailer from Uhaul. I'll be towing with a 96 4x4 with the 3.4, and would rather go with the 5x10 than the 5x8. Any experiences or advice I should know about?

Thanks.
I just pulled a loaded 10' from St. Louis MO to Houston Tx, and it pulled great with my '06. I was able to use cruise control at times, mostly. but there were obvs times I had to manually adjust speed accordingly.