Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Blown acc fuse

Old 12-20-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
chkntaco is on a distinguished road
chkntaco's Tacoma Gallery
Blown acc fuse

The towing accessory fuse that you use for trailer lights keeps blowing and I can't understand why.
It works fine for trailer lights but I just recently made a connector for my winch and it keeps blowing. The winch doesn't pul that much voltage. Its just a small 2000lb capacity that I use to pull my CRX onto my already super low trailer. The fuse is a 30amp Any ideas before I burn up the wires?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkntaco View Post
The towing accessory fuse that you use for trailer lights keeps blowing and I can't understand why.
It works fine for trailer lights but I just recently made a connector for my winch and it keeps blowing. The winch doesn't pul that much voltage. Its just a small 2000lb capacity that I use to pull my CRX onto my already super low trailer. The fuse is a 30amp Any ideas before I burn up the wires?
Are you pulling the juice for the winch straight from the battery or through the circuit?
Old 12-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #3
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
Are you pulling the juice for the winch straight from the battery or through the circuit?
^^This^^

I'd run that winch directly from the battery. Otherwise you are trying to pull 30 amps through a 14 gauge wire (maybe even 18 gauge).
Old 12-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
I hooked up the winch wiring to a connector that plugs into the trailer light outlet. So, yes through the circuit. That way i wouldn't have to run wires all the way to the front of the truck.
I used to run wires all the way up front and everything worked fine. Just trying to save time and not have to lug around a bunch of wires. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I didn't realize the wiring was freakin' 18g.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkntaco View Post
I hooked up the winch wiring to a connector that plugs into the trailer light outlet. So, yes through the circuit. That way i wouldn't have to run wires all the way to the front of the truck.
I used to run wires all the way up front and everything worked fine. Just trying to save time and not have to lug around a bunch of wires. Seemed like a good idea at the time but I didn't realize the wiring was freakin' 18g.
Yeah that small gauge wire isn't meant to handle the amperage that winch is pulling. Luckily the fuses are doing their job keeping the wiring from melting.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
So is running wires straight to the battery pretty much my only option? Is that how the "off road" guys do it?
I don't take my truck out in the mud so I haven't had any other use for a winch
Old 12-22-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Toyoma
Tacoma2011 is on a distinguished road
Tacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
One of the 7 wires is a 30 amp, 10 ga wire for charging the trailer battery. Move your winch connection to that pin. Look in the manual for the pinout.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #8
I'm at work at don't have access to the manual right now but I did go out and look at the wiring. All are 18g except the white (ground) one and it may be 10g but it looks kinda small. Not much bigger than 16g.

I was thinking possibly mounting one of these and running 10g or larger straight from the batt.
http://www.etrailer.com/p-PK12707.html