Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Why not?

Old 12-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
Deacon is on a distinguished road
Air Force: pilot
Deacon's Tacoma Gallery
Why not?

I have purchased a 2011 Tacoma 2WD Manual transmission and would like to know if it can be towed behind an RV. The manual says no but doesn't give a reason why not. The only reason I can think of is the electronic rear-end possibly not functioning properly.

Thanks for any information.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:19 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW! You should be able to tow it dingy style, if you remove the rear drive shaft.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #3
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Chris usually knows his stuff.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:24 AM   #4
the Nightman cometh!
jjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjew18 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jjew18's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, and welcome aboard!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
vinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shedvinnyvavoom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
vinnyvavoom's Tacoma Gallery
What about using a 2 wheel dolly on the rear wheels and towing it tailgate first?
Old 12-29-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyvavoom View Post
What about using a 2 wheel dolly on the rear wheels and towing it tailgate first?

i dont think you want the front wheels trailing , they steer!
Old 12-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #7
Deacon's Tacoma Gallery
Why not?

Thanks for the responses, I think I know why you cannot tow a manual transmission, spoke to the expert at the Toyota store.
He informs me that to reduce friction in the transmission, and increase mileage, Toyota now has a pump that directs oil directly on the gears eliminating the oil bath they usually run in, therefore improving gas mileage. A drive shaft disconnect would be required to flat tow.

Thanks.
Deacon
Old 12-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #8
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
i dont think you want the front wheels trailing , they steer!
You can lock the wheels.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Deacon's Tacoma Gallery
Why not?
There are still unanswered questions regarding the flat towing. I have spoken with Toyota customer service and TRD about the issue and get the company line that the vehicle is not flat towable. I have also spoken with Remco, who deal with towing issues, and they tell me that the 5 speed manual IS flat towable but the 6 speed is not. I also got the line that Toyota has not done testing with the 5 speed manual and therefore does not recommend flat towing.
I will continue searching.

Deacon
Old 12-31-2010, 07:16 AM   #10
Deacon's Tacoma Gallery
Manual tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Welcome to TW! You should be able to tow it dingy s
tyle, if you remove the rear drive shaft.
Chris;
Thanks for the reply. You seem to be the expert on the Taco's and I would like to ask if you know what the difference is between the 6 and 5 speed tranny's as far as flat towing.
Remco says the 5 can be flat towed.

Thanks;
Deacon
Old 12-31-2010, 07:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Chris;
Thanks for the reply. You seem to be the expert on the Taco's and I would like to ask if you know what the difference is between the 6 and 5 speed tranny's as far as flat towing.
Remco says the 5 can be flat towed.

Thanks;
Deacon

I havent gotten into the internals to see the differences, nor researched.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:14 AM   #12
Ace83 will become famous soon enoughAce83 will become famous soon enough
Ace83's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think towing with front wheels trailing is a good idea, front is heavy due to the engine and weight distribution could be a safety issue