Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Tow Rig?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:33 AM   #1
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MAXTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Tow Rig?

Does anyone know anything about the Suburban/Yukon 2500 6.0/8.1 Liter. I'm thinking of getting one w/ about 100k on it. Any problems/MPG? Suggestions?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #2
MAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMAXTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone, I thought someone might have some insight.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
Crazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrazyfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Keith
Crazyfrog's Tacoma Gallery
My boss has a 1500 Yukon Denali 6.0. Its an awesome vehicle, but being a Denali it is all wheel drive. It has the air ride leveling kit which towes awesome.
He has 175k on it, and has replaced the front diff twice, eats front brakes and tires, and now the air ride is bad, but you can retro standard shocks to it.
Hope that helps.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
What year rig?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
My Bro just picked up a 98 Dually 3500 with the big block, has about 100K miles on it. Going to be pulling a 24' enclosed race car trailer with it.

The 3500's are just the 2500's with dually extentions and higher load rated tires. Same exact truck, but with better tires (and 2 extra).

If you can, find a pickup, because the Suburban/yukon lineups are pig heavy, fuel thirsty units, especially with the BBC.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

I have found a few of them 2000 thru 2002. One has about 130k, 150k, and 100k. A friend of the family has the Escalade w/ the 6.0. Its a strong puller but mechanically its been a problem since day one. I am just wondering if thats what these will be.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XT View Post
Just use your taco bro! haha jk
I have been using my Tacoma for the last 2 years, but I bought a bigger boat last year and its about 6k loaded. It gets the job done but struggle a bit, and this year I have a bunch of lake trips planned that are between 4-10 hours away.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #9

Bump!
Old 01-15-2011, 09:21 PM   #11

What kind of MPG does it get?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
If you need strictly tow rig, look for Diesel. The 5.9 Cummins is an amazing engine and will get around 18mpg towing 8000lbs or so through mountains. Gas will be slow off the line and will get about 8mpg...lol
Old 01-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #13

Id prefer to stick w/ gas. this is what i'm looking at.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
Old 01-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
I change oil part time at a Valvoline place here and just about every gas motor Chevy (truck, suv, whatever) that comes in has a leak somewhere (oil, trans, rear/front diff). Usually the T-case leaks in everyone. But on the other than that ive heard the 6.0 gas motors pull pretty good.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:44 PM   #15

Thanks, that is something that I will def, check out when I find one.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #16
Nom Nom Nom
05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05RedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
05RedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXTacoma View Post
Id prefer to stick w/ gas. this is what i'm looking at.
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false
What's your reason for sticking with gas? If this will be strictly tow rig diesel is your best bet... It will pull better and will get better mileage...
Old 01-16-2011, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08WhiteTaco View Post
What's your reason for sticking with gas? If this will be strictly tow rig diesel is your best bet... It will pull better and will get better mileage...
Well this would probably be my DD, not just a tow rig. I have a few friends/family that have diesels and they are great pullers, but the people i know have put some money into maintaining them. Therefore I'll just stick with gas.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
Mod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shedMod is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Mod's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
. But on the other than that ive heard the 6.0 gas motors pull pretty good.
Yes, they pull quite well. plenty of turbo kits out there and aftermarket chips for extra fun and better mileage if needed.

Edge products makes a excellent tuner panel for mileage and towing adjustment if needed. Seen/felt these in action on several different towing vehicles, both gas and diesel.
http://www.edgeproducts.com/index.php

Diesel prices are flying up and down constantly, I would stick with gas also.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM   #19
ky taco
chopper is on a distinguished road

Name: chop
chopper's Tacoma Gallery
those things suck gas plus i tow the hell out of them there always breaking down.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:12 AM   #20
Mr Thundermaker is about to start barking fire!
RCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shedRCBS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RCBS's Tacoma Gallery
keep an eye on the brakes. blower motor resister will need replaced if it hasnt been already. rear wheel bearings are sometimes an issue. GM must've used shitty bulbs in that series...always burning out. Engine and trans. seem to be bulletproof aside from a few weird CELs.

we use GM for our fleet/delivery vehicles at work...these are some of the issues i can remember from our trucks of those years.

my boss's wife has a 2002 Denali she's driven since '03 that suprisingly hasn't needed much work at all except for a brake upgrade. GM brakes are trash.