Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Wiring Question for Activator III

Old 08-24-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
Ultima GTR Guy is on a distinguished road

Ultima GTR Guy's Tacoma Gallery
Wiring Question for Activator III

I have an 09 Double Cab with Tow Package and bought an Activator III brake controller. I also bought a Tekonsha Toyota Brake Control Harness (model 3040-P). The harness has 2 connectors: one that fits the connector under the dash and one that fits the Activator III. In the harness it also has a white wire with a spade on it that doesn't seem to go anywhere. Could this be another ground? I used an Ohm meter and found it has continuity to ground. What should I do with this and where should I connect it?

Thanks,
Paul
Old 08-24-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultima GTR Guy View Post
I have an 09 Double Cab with Tow Package and bought an Activator III brake controller. I also bought a Tekonsha Toyota Brake Control Harness (model 3040-P). The harness has 2 connectors: one that fits the connector under the dash and one that fits the Activator III. In the harness it also has a white wire with a spade on it that doesn't seem to go anywhere. Could this be another ground? I used an Ohm meter and found it has continuity to ground. What should I do with this and where should I connect it?

Thanks,
Paul
yep.....im guessing thats an extra ground, so you could cut the spade off,put an eyelet on it, and connect it to the closest point you can find that is grounded,and out of the way.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
Towing Guru
maverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaverick491 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

maverick491's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry for my late response on this.

You and Tacomaman are both correct. It is a secondary ground wire. The reason for it is because the majority of all trailer wiring problems stem from a bad ground, so the more places that the cround wire connects, then the less chance for that problem. There is a ground bold behind the driver's side kick pannel that you can connect it to.