Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Increased Towing Capacity For TRD Supercharger?

Old 01-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Increased Towing Capacity For TRD Supercharger?

On Toyota's website, it states that a supercharged Taco has increased towing capacity. I have a supercharger and was just curious how much more could I tow? My Taco is a 2009 Crew Cab with TRD off-road package and trd supercharger.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
What ever the hitch is rated at
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
SilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilverTacoZack is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Zack
SilverTacoZack's Tacoma Gallery
It might be a little bit higher in the amount you could pull technically, but in practice I don't think you would have much of an increase in tow capacity because you'd run into braking problems even nearing the regular v6 tow weight capacity. The truck simply isn't heavy enough and not designed to be stopping with really heavy loads being towed like a big F250 or something would be.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
sloancallaway is on a distinguished road
Name: Sloan
sloancallaway's Tacoma Gallery
towing is rated on more then just power and your hitch... everything from suspension to brakes frame streingth and so on
Old 01-16-2011, 07:00 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Link to said increased towing capacity? Sounds like an error since engine power doesn't dictate towing capacity.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #6
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
If the towing capacity increased, the supercharger would have to come with new GVWR stickers for the truck. As far as I know that's not part of the kit. Otherwise, those stickers dictate what you can tow legally.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:31 PM   #7
Motivator
YayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYayAreaTaco0311 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Police Caller
YayAreaTaco0311's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ncrease your passing power and towing capacity with the TRD intercooled supercharger system kit for your Tacoma’s 4.0L V6 engine. Featuring an air-to-liquid intercooler that increases torque and horsepower from idle to redline, the system produces 304 hp @ 5,400 rpm and 334 lb.-ft. torque @ 3,600 rpm (from 236 hp @ 5,200 rpm and 266 lb.-ft. @ 4,000 rpm. You can also count on immediate throttle response, along with substantial increases to towing capacity and acceleration. The system uses a strong, compact one-piece plenum/manifold that integrates Eaton Roots-type rotating components, Gen 5 rotor pack and the heat exchanger core for the intercooler. All hardware needed for a “factory installed” appearance is included in the kit. And, because the supercharger features self-contained lubrication, there’s no maintenance required on the supercharger or system components.* * The TRD Supercharger and/or TRD Cold Air Intake are to be sold as a dealer installed or over-the-counter option, after the retail sale of the vehicle the Supercharger and/or Cold Air Intake may not be sold to the customer at the same time as the new vehicle and may not be financed together with the new vehicle. The TRD Supercharger is not compatible with Flex Fuel vehicles. Please see the TRD catalog, visit www.trdusa.com or call 800-688-5912 for a complete list of products and warranty information.
From here, click on the TRD supercharger pic:
http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/accessories.html

My Taco has the upgraded Toyota towing package.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I went to the actual TRD website and it says nothing about increased towing capacity with the TRD supercharger on a V6 Tacoma.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
JDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcQ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
JDMcQ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skistoy View Post
What ever the hitch is rated at
This is most certainly NOT true.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
they should've said "ability" instead of "capacity", in other words it'll make a given job a lot easier. Not sure if it was an idiot slip or them trying to be clever in suggesting ,and letting you/us assume what we want
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
Sure you can get the load going a little bit easier but you are still going to have trouble trying to stop the load and have issues driving with that load
Old 01-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #12
yotaTRDSPORT is on a distinguished road
yotaTRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
Tow capacity

I figured I would chime in on the matter. I am a self employed carpenter and mason in mass. I bought my yota around the same time I started taking side jobs and it was great because I got decent gas mileage and I could carry my tools, some stock, dirt bikes, etc. not knowing in a short time down the road I would start taking on large projects where I thought I needed a truck with more capability and capacity than the tacoma. For the last 4 years I have done stuff with that little truck that you wouldn't believe. I regularly tow a 16x8 enclosed trailer that houses anything and everything needed to run a building crew. Frequently tow a 16x8 dump trailer loaded with debris or a pallet or two of stone. I've got nearly 190k of hard miles on the truck and its never once not tackled what I throw at it. Have done front wheel bearings a few times and a clutch at 160k. I am not supercharged but am considering making the investment now that the loans just about clear. I'm keeping the tacoma for life but will be upgrading to a tundra within the next year to give the poor truck a break. Tacos rule...most dependable truck on the market hands down
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
Blueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/ EMT
Name: Matt
Blueanimal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I went to the actual TRD website and it says nothing about increased towing capacity with the TRD supercharger on a V6 Tacoma.
You didn't read the whole thing... Lol.

"You can also count on immediate throttle response, along with substantial increases to towing capacity and acceleration."

I believe this is what he was referring to.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueanimal View Post
You didn't read the whole thing... Lol.

"You can also count on immediate throttle response, along with substantial increases to towing capacity and acceleration."

I believe this is what he was referring to.
I wouldn't expect much of a response... you quoted a banned member with something he said 2 years ago
Old 01-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
Blueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueanimal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Firefighter/ EMT
Name: Matt
Blueanimal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
I wouldn't expect much of a response... you quoted a banned member with something he said 2 years ago
I always forget to check dates...
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Supercharger would make it easier to tow, but that does nothing for the Suspension, Frame, brake limitations. etc
Old 01-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #17
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueanimal View Post
I always forget to check dates...
Leave it to someone with 4 posts to bump a dead thread...
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post
Leave it to someone with 4 posts to bump a dead thread...
Holy shit - just realized the dates...dammmm