Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Newbie with trailer battery?????

Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #1
Cummins is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
Newbie with trailer battery?????

I have an 05 with tow package and my trailer has a battery to run the winch. I was wondering if there is anything I need to do to have my truck charge the battery and supply power while it is hooked to the truck.?.?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
I would suggest using a separate battery charger. The battery in the trailer is probably a deep cycle and will not play well with a starting battery. The deep cycle should provide lots and lots and lots of winch time w/o chariging.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
My old man picked up a small solar panel to keep his trailer battery charged. So far it's been working very well.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
Do you all feel this way because of only having one battery. I use my dmax and cummins to charge and keep constent power going to the battery while it is plugged up. So I should not do it with my tacoma.?.?

Thanks,
Robert
Old 02-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins View Post
I have an 05 with tow package and my trailer has a battery to run the winch. I was wondering if there is anything I need to do to have my truck charge the battery and supply power while it is hooked to the truck.?.?

Thanks,
Robert
If you have a 7pin connector it should have a 12v pin that should charge your battery while you have the truck running. My 08 has the tow package with the amped up alt. and larger battery to help accommodate this trailer power draw increase with lights as well as charging the trailer battery. I checked the pin to see if it shut off when the truck shut off and yes it does shut off.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #6
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
OKay I will test it when my wife gets home she seems to like the tacoma. Did you have to put a fuse or anything in to make it work.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 02-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins View Post
OKay I will test it when my wife gets home she seems to like the tacoma. Did you have to put a fuse or anything in to make it work.

Thanks,
Robert
No added fuse, it's as wired from the factory. I'm hoping Toyota has it fused I've never checked.

Paul