1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Tow Ratings for 2013 (S.A.E. J2807)

Discussion in 'Towing' started by chris4x4, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Aug 18, 2011 at 10:34 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    I can see it now that all new 2013 Tacoma Dully

2. Aug 18, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    Who Dat Popcorn

Who Dat Popcorn Dafuq

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Sold :/
    SOLD
    Mine stays in 2nd if I do that...it'll bounce off the rev limiter and still not up shift.

3. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    I should've left out "upshift". When you come to a stop the Hondas stay in 2nd. That's a major complaint manual aficionados have about auto trans that don't do that. Better control in icy conditions

4. Aug 20, 2011 at 4:37 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Take a look at the Hilux payload ratings on the Toyota Mexico site. Extra 500 lbs is no problem on a truck the size of a Taco. You just need upgraded springs. The ride will be horrible with the bed empty though.

Toyota does market research well - one of the reasons Taco sales are brisk.

5. Aug 21, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    sechsgang

sechsgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    No, not really. Just looking for a truck that really, reasonably can tow say 4,500 lbs without going over it's limits. The current Tacoma can't, while being rated at 6,500lbs.

6. Aug 21, 2011 at 10:28 PM
    A_Ninja_Racer

A_Ninja_Racer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Debadged
    I was just trying to be funny I agree though I think the breaks and the composite bed along with rear springs are a short fall with this truck. The TSB Springs help but I think the truck should have a helper leaf that only engages once you have reached a certain weight load. I also think the frame should be fully boxed all the way to the back where the hitch mounts. Plus as I have said before I can tell the difference in the breaking ability just from adding a passenger to the truck let alone loading up the bed or hauling a trailer. I'm Only great full that My trailer has electric brakes on it.

7. Nov 27, 2011 at 7:33 AM
    Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    FWIW - I prefer the size of a midsize truck, but.... I just switched from a my TRD to an XLT F150. Other than parking space size issues, the F150 is better in every way. BETTER MILEAGE, more luxurious, cheaper, better interior, seats, trans , axles, engine, brakes, technology. Everything. Did I mention it was $10k cheaper after Fords "employee pricing"?. Like I said, I have no use for a trucl that big, but it does everything better, and I save $100 a month on fuel.

Until the tech in midsize trucks improve, full sizers are a better value. The mileage should be better. I had 2 Taco's, my F150's mileage compare to my 2009 4cyl, 4WD Tacoma! How is that even possible? Technology. A lot of us mistakenly bought a midsizewr thinking the mileage would be the same or better. For me, I do 90% highway, towing, or hauling, and I can tell you, that is not always the case.

8. Nov 28, 2011 at 6:48 AM
    Goober

Goober Earthlings are fun to watch!

Member:
    Utah - Why just have only one?
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off-Planet AccessCab
    10k cheaper? what's this compared to? Give us the price you paid. Which engine did you get that's getting better mileage? What's your rear axle ratio? I go on fuelly.com and I don't see the F150's that get better mileage.

9. Nov 28, 2011 at 9:38 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    I feel you Isthatahemi. I love my 01 taco for what it is, and used to be die hard Toyota fan- so if needing a full size the Tundra was going to be it. But over time I have not been liking Toyota's overall direction- add to that my Dad has had a Ford truck of one kind or another all my life and they held up great-- I have no qualms with Ford. I can see myself with a F150, or better yet an F150 ecoboost in the feature, unless I give in to wanting a diesel- that is where IMO Ford dropped the ball badly in the past and it makes me weary, and I would look at Dodge or Chevy.

10. Nov 28, 2011 at 11:07 AM
    fajitas21

fajitas21 XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Originally not Expo AF! Kinda Expo AF now...lame.
    I'll start off by saying mileage is a very subjective, but I'll venture no F150 is getting a 4cyl Toyota mileage...4x4 or otherwise.

My Silverado gets a solid 19 - 22 MPG on hwy with the 6 speed transmission, just as good as any EcoBoost would (because it's a towing engine not a MPG engine people...).

I'm lucky that my Silverado combined MPG is just about 1 to 2 MPG worse than my V6 4x2 TRD Sport. I drive very Conservative.

Sure, the Full size trucks don't do much worse on gas, but I assure you they don't do $100 more a month better unless you're getting 1 MPG more and driving 10,000 miles a month.

I'm not a fanboy of Toyota, Ford, or Chevy, but I've been impressed with my Silverado, especially in the ride quality.

However, that's a subject I take up with the folks on the Chevy forums. I don't come to the Tacoma forums and bash the Tacomas...people like that just want attention.

11. Nov 28, 2011 at 11:31 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    ^^ I love the older Silverado ride quality- just amazed at it.

Been reading that the ecoboost F150 isn't great on MPG at all, a lot of guys are not getting what the sticker advertises, and around the same as the V8 guys. But I'd still get it for the simple fact the output it already has, and the potential it has- I can't leave things stock LOL. I have to admit a factory boosted Ford scares me a bit, but seeing how Ford knows not to mess up with their truck line, and all the aftermarket support it will have, I can see myself getting it.

I really wish my 5vzfe got better mileage- it really sucks. If they were to re-fresh the motor with dual VVTi, a smart alternator etc, I bet they could get it past the 20mpg hump...

I have yet to try and tow anything with my truck beyond pulling a 4runner to jump start it. I would like to someday have a camper, be it a slide in or small trailer. But towing a car like my IS300 to a track, I can see my Taco doing it if it HAD to, but it seems like a very uncomfortable situation.

12. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:04 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Now that is a different subject, at which I think the EcoBoost is pretty great at. It's a boat load of power in a V6...as much torque as the Chevy 6.2L v8. That's nothing to scoff at.

As far as TT goes, I pulled a Forrest River - Salem - 22RB-XL 24' TT @ ~4000 lbs loaded, and with a good WDH like the Reese Dual Cam or Equalizer, the thing pulled pretty well.

I did discover this after towing my TT about 150 miles this weekend.. While the Silverado as expected tows much easier and more stable, I got a solid 1MPG less with it than the Tacoma. 9 MPG vs 10 MPG is 10% difference, but considering the Silverado has a 5 gallon larger tank it pretty much evens out.

I think a Tacoma and a Trailmanor might be a perfect TT combination.

13. Nov 28, 2011 at 1:23 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Agreed, except I've heard it's in boost even under normal acceleration which means even unloaded it does not get as good mileage as the V8 counterpart. The only place the Ecoboost seems to shine is unloaded at highway speed. If that's your daily commute, it'd be great to have good MPG's commuting daily and be able to hook up to a travel trailer on the weekends and have enough ass to move it. FWIW, I'd rather have the bigger V8, it's heavier so you won't get pushed around as much when towing, it won't be working as hard and they're tried and true. A V6 putting out as much power or more than a big V8 scares me for longevity purposes.

14. Nov 28, 2011 at 10:21 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    A crap ton of people who tow their TTs complain of 7 MPGs while towing with the EcoBoost, when their old V8s were getting them 8.5 to 10.

I'd imagine that the 6.2L v8 would do just as poorly on MPGs for sure

Also, you're right about the boost kicking in even when unloaded driving around city, I can hear the boost whistle when riding around in my uncles truck.

I'll say this tho...when that thing pulls, it pulls. For a "stock" engine, it's strong.

15. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    I am hearing 16mpg city / 21mpg highway for the 4x4 super crew EB F-150. That would be better than my '06 DC 4x4 Tacoma. 10mpg towing would be about the same my Taco gets.
    I have a 2012 F-150 super crew 4x4 157" WB heavy duty payload ecoboost package on order. I'll see what I get in terms of mileage, but I am confident it will be similar to the Tacoma. But it WILL tow our TT better with a little extra room to boost.
    Unfortunately, the Tundra 4x4's crewmax payloads are pathetic. Otherwise I would have probably bought a Tundra, but the payload is the same as the Tacoma. I have no idea what the Toyota engineers were thinking.

16. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:48 PM
    fajitas21

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Collierville, TN
    Vehicle:
    4Runnerzzz
    Nice!

The only complaint with my Silverado is that fact that in the 1500 you cannot get a 6.5 ft bed.

17. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:53 PM
    sechsgang

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD OR 4WD 6spd
    Yeah, the extra wheel base helps for towing also. Looking forward to it .... 420 ft-lbs sounds nice with that kind of mileage that others are reporting.

18. Dec 11, 2011 at 3:08 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Tacoma TRD $41,500 OTD if bought. I leased, 4 years, $600/ month (stupid, yes, but that's what they cost in Canada, and dealers don't deal much here)
    2011 F150 XLT 4X4, 3.7 6 speed, tow pack, Mech LSD, 136l fuel tank $31,000 OTD
    Here's the thing, my F150 is rated the same, but beats my Tacoma by 10%+ all the time, even when towing.

Yup, that offroad package is just window dressing I suppose. And I went through 3 diffs, 2 rusty bumpers, 2 blower motors, 2 wiper motors, 1 cd radio, and 2 4WD actuators. BTW, not 1 failure on my new rig, and hunting / off roading season just ended ;)
    And which is it? I thought I was a Dodge fanboy? I have no brand loyalty, in fact, we bought my wife a Carolla, because Toyota cars are hard to beat. My F150 rocks, it's tough as nails, and luxurious to boot. Go drive on before you bash. And maybe keep the ad homimem shit to yourself.

I drive 95% highway, if city mileage were an issue, then the story would be different, as the Tacoma does at least as well, if not slightly better city mileage.
    So far, I have been averaging 12.5 ltres per hundred kms, (X5000 kms = $700) my Tacoma never did better than 14lhk. (X5000kms = $784)

So I exagerated by $16. I can post my logs, but I don't really care that much.

19. Dec 11, 2011 at 3:12 PM
    Isthatahemi

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    Highway tractors and locomotives both use boost as a fuel efficiency booster, by increasing the volumetric efficiency of their engines. I think the loss of mileage on the Eco's is a product of effortless power, and people manitaining higher average speeds while towing. But the real benefit is when unloaded anyhow.

20. Dec 11, 2011 at 3:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 [OP] With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I cant wait to see what happens to Fords tow ratings with the turbo'ed V6 engines, once the ratings are made standard.......:popcorn: Oh....and what happens to their longevity......More :popcorn:

Products Discussed in

To Top