Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Charging while towing

Old 02-13-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Talking Charging while towing

I tow a 97 hi-lo travel trailer, I found the charging lead from toyota tow package set-up (wire to small) did not work for me. First, the batteries on the TT are 2-6volt wired in series to get 12v which gives me 235 amp hours (which is better than 1-12volt battery @ 55amp hours). I needed more amps to charge the battery set-up. The problem I had was 7 pin plug had a 18ga. wire that I could not increase. I switch to a aftermarket 7 pin plug which aloud me to go to a 10 ga.wire. From the altenator, I put in a 30amp circuit breaker and 10 gauge wire all the way back to my TT batteries. Also, because I have to tow with my TT refrigerator on 12 volts,(can't run gas, with the trailer lowered for towing it closes the top exhaust vent), it pulls 12amps when it's running and with the old set-up I was draining my TT batteriers.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
JDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDCPA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jim
JDCPA's Tacoma Gallery
Your two six volt batteries are set up in series to give you twelve volts. I find it hard to understand how it is possible to get 235 amp hours from two six volt batteries but if it is true you have a heck of a set-up.

I had a Hi-Lo that I had set up with two 12 volt deep cycle trolling motor batteries in parallel so it was still a 12 volt circuit. It would keep the frindge going for a couple of days. I carried a battery charger with me and charged them up in the campground.

Once the batteries are charged up all the circuit will be drawing is enough amperage to run the fridge and your Tacoma alternator should be able to keep it from drawing the batteries down very much.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCPA View Post
Your two six volt batteries are set up in series to give you twelve volts. I find it hard to understand how it is possible to get 235 amp hours from two six volt batteries but if it is true you have a heck of a set-up.

I had a Hi-Lo that I had set up with two 12 volt deep cycle trolling motor batteries in parallel so it was still a 12 volt circuit. It would keep the frindge going for a couple of days. I carried a battery charger with me and charged them up in the campground.

Once the batteries are charged up all the circuit will be drawing is enough amperage to run the fridge and your Tacoma alternator should be able to keep it from drawing the batteries down very much.
I used interstate brand golf cart batteries and also installed a 33watt solar panel on the TT.