Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Hauling tent trailer/ camper with tailgate down.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:26 PM   #1
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Fabian
Fabulous's Tacoma Gallery
Hauling tent trailer/ camper with tailgate down.

My wife and I are are contemplating buying a small used camper or tent trailer to go camping. We'd like to load our two dirt bikes in the back of our short bed double cab (which requires the tailgate down) and haul like this. Only thing is I can't see that being doable due to how short the tongue is on those things. Does anybody do this, or have any suggestions?
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
My dad does something similar with his pick up. He removed the tailgate completely, cut a piece of plywood to fit up against the front of the bed and the back was flush with the back of the bumper and then used wood blocking between the plywood and the bumper. That way you don't have the full length of the tailgate but you can pick up another 6-8" or so to support the back tire of a motorcycle rear tire. This would work depending on how far the bikes hang over the end of the bed and you wouldn't have to worry about messing up your tailgate.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
Fabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shedFabulous is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My truck is a short bed, and the bikes stick out as far as the back of the tailgate when down, so it would have to stay on.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Get a tent trailer that has a spot for the bikes.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
You can tow with the tailgate down, just be mindful of a few things... The jack, hydraulic brakes surge brakes like a Uhaul trailer (if you have them) and how far forward the body of the trailer is. The best things to do would be to do some slow-turn maneuvers with your wife and see how close things come to hitting when you make a tight turn, go through dip (seeing if anything on the tongue comes close to the tailgate), etc. Have your wife 'spot' you so you don't do any damage. Every trailer is different so unfortunately there's no easy answer as it depends on your set-up.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 PM   #6
Black Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlack Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Black Taco's Tacoma Gallery
This would be my choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Hauling tent trailer/ camper with tailgate down.-fleetwood-e3.jpg  
Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Taco View Post
This would be my choice.
And that has a spot for the bikes!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:09 AM   #9

I have looked at those, but as of right now that is out of the budg as they run $16,000 Canadian up here. I'm looking more at something used, and no more then $6000. What about a hitch extender? Would that be alright with something so light, like sub 2000 lbs?
Old 02-15-2011, 09:10 AM   #10
Bring Yuengling To MN!
angrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shedangrysam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

angrysam's Tacoma Gallery
They make extended draw bars. Maybe that would work for you? I have one that is a foot longer than a typical draw bar.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #11
Oceanfisherman
campthewestcoast is on a distinguished road
campthewestcoast's Tacoma Gallery
They make extensions for the hitch ( I've seen them when you have a oversize cab-over camping when towing a boat) as long you don't use a equailizer hitch on the tent trailer, you'll be fine. Then you could tow with your tailgate down and have the turning radius you need.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
extended draw bars do take away from the amount of weight you can tow, but you'd have to see how much the tongue weight of the camper is, and see what the extended draw bars are rated at. I used to use a 8" extender for my bike rack on my old blazer to get past the spare tire that was mounted on the tailgate
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM   #13
kinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkinkrider101 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kinkrider101's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem, when I put the tailgate down it about 1" from the jack
Old 02-28-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
i have the same problem with mine, but i get 2 ratchet straps, and strap up the tail gate as high as i can, the back tires come off the ground of the dirtbikes when i do this but it keeps be from hitting my jack on my tailgate. i would try this. i think my bed is like 5-6 in longer than yours but worth a try.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:43 AM   #15
gooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgooch14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
Name: Kyle
gooch14's Tacoma Gallery
Before I got rid of my pop-up camper I was looking at the possibility of mounting bikes on the fiberglass top. With the camper down the shell should support the weight around the edges, the only issue could be support in the middle.