Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Adding 4-Pin to a Base 2011 SR5

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-20-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mattygabe's Tacoma Gallery
Adding 4-Pin to a Base 2011 SR5

I need some more specific information from those of you who know, because I can't find the specific answers I'm still looking for.

What I'm looking to tow is a very light aluminum fishing boat on the bumper with a trailer ball. That trailer just has two tail lights on it that require the 4-pin connection (no brakes that need a controller).

The lights on this trailer are dinky, probably 3" square red lights that blink with the turn signals and stay steady when my brake lights are on. I understand that the aftermarket harnesses simply split the brake lights at the end of the truck, and share that circuitry (which causes problems depending on how much juice you use), but my use case is really small here, and I'm not looking to tear apart my brand new 2011 just for a harness.

Is this the correct harness for my situation:
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Simple...ar=1&carId=001

Or is this one:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...con/7281T.html

Or are they the same damn thing?!

Also, can anyone point me to a TW thread that has pictures of someone installing one of these aftermarket harnesses?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
That's the right concept however neither of those say they fit a 2011. The install is very very simple. You just have to take out the tail light assembly (2 screws), then unplug the connector that goes to the brake light and turn signal. The adapter T's into this connection, essentially creating a splice, and powers the flat 4 connection for the trailer. The second one claims to fit the 2005 - 2010 Tacoma, I would guess it'd fit the 2011 but I'd find one that specifically claims that it fits first. The first one specifically says it doesn't fit a Tacoma, it's for a T100. Try someplace like Autoanything.com or even JC Whitney.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
mattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattygabe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I know if I happen to buy one that doesn't list the 11's as compatible, and it doesn't work, then I'm SOL in terms of returning the harness, but what has changed with the 11s that make those not work?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
"The Emblem of a Free Man is a Gun"
Ccwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Chris
Ccwahoo's Tacoma Gallery
I tow a light trailer for my mower that has the 4-pin, I just bought an adapter for like 8 bucks that plugs into the 7-pin with the 4-pin attached. Works fine, I think I bought it at Walmart
Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccwahoo View Post
I tow a light trailer for my mower that has the 4-pin, I just bought an adapter for like 8 bucks that plugs into the 7-pin with the 4-pin attached. Works fine, I think I bought it at Walmart
Hmm, problem is I don't have a 7-pin, OR a 4-pin. I was looking for one of the harnesses that split the circuit that is used by the tail lights. Does Walmart sell those?
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #6
"The Emblem of a Free Man is a Gun"
Ccwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedCcwahoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Chris
Ccwahoo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattygabe View Post
Hmm, problem is I don't have a 7-pin, OR a 4-pin. I was looking for one of the harnesses that split the circuit that is used by the tail lights. Does Walmart sell those?
Ahhh gotcha, was thinking you wanted to add the 4-pin next to the 7. I don't think Walmart sells those, Good Luck
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #7
Swollen Member
8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed8th sin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

8th sin's Tacoma Gallery
Any of these will do:

http://www.etrailer.com/t1-2011_Toyota_Tacoma.htm

They're all basically the same, and they can be had for much less on eBay (I bought one for my old taco for $.99!)
Old 02-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #8

Ended up ordering this guy:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

When I get it in and get warm enough weather to go into the garage to hook it up, I'll try to post some pictures and let you know.

Products Discussed in this Thread