Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Am I OK to do this?

Old 02-22-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dalton
loaderman82's Tacoma Gallery
Am I OK to do this?

This coming weekend I am going to help my sister move, and I will be towing a 16 foot trailer. They are wanting me to haul their 1991 Toyota 2WD pickup to their house that is about 15 miles. I was wondering if I could haul the truck without trailer brakes, because I don't have any. I want to be sure I can stop this thing! Thanks!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
11B4X4 is on a distinguished road

Army: GRUNT
11B4X4's Tacoma Gallery
I hauled a truck on a large trailer. not sure how big it was but around 16ft i'd say. I didn't have any issues stopping or anything. it was snowy so i was in 4HI the whole time about 20mi. Not saying it's good or bad, i'm just saying i did it and nothing bad happened...just took my time
Old 02-22-2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Aerospace Ground Equipment Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
you should be just fine. dont ride anybodys ass and brake early and you should be good to go. i believe the max towing capacity is 6,500lbs
Old 02-22-2011, 04:15 PM   #4
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Thanks fellas, I knew I wouldn't have any issues hauling it, just was wondering about the braking. I will do it and just take it easy, Thanks for the replys.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
psmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nicepsmcn is just really nice
Name: Paul
psmcn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
you should be just fine. dont ride anybodys ass and brake early and you should be good to go. i believe the max towing capacity is 6,500lbs
The max tow capacity is 6500lbs but the manual recommends trailer brakes after 1000lbs which is appx. the max cargo weight of the truck. the trucks brakes are designed for the max cargo of truck. brakes are the one major limiting factors in weight ratings. Brakes are important. personally I think the brakes on the Taco are a bit weak..The truck you'll be pulling if it's on a trailer is heavier then my RV trailer and I'm glad I have brakes on the trailer.

For Only 15 miles with no trailer brake, I would do it early in the morning, like, Oh, sunrise hundred, when there are less cars on the road to reduce interference. Load'er up the night before, drag it over early, then have breakfast on your sister of course
Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by psmcn View Post
The max tow capacity is 6500lbs but the manual recommends trailer brakes after 1000lbs which is appx. the max cargo weight of the truck. the trucks brakes are designed for the max cargo of truck. brakes are the one major limiting factors in weight ratings. Brakes are important. personally I think the brakes on the Taco are a bit weak..The truck you'll be pulling if it's on a trailer is heavier then my RV trailer and I'm glad I have brakes on the trailer.

For Only 15 miles with no trailer brake, I would do it early in the morning, like, Oh, sunrise hundred, when there are less cars on the road to reduce interference. Load'er up the night before, drag it over early, then have breakfast on your sister of course
I really don't know how much it will weigh, but I'm sure it will tow it with no problems. I told her I would do it before I even thought about the brakes. If anyone thinks it is a bad idea I will for sure not do it. I don't want to get anybody hurt. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
Go slow and stay away from big hills and you should be ok.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
brake very early. ive towed with no trailer brakes. i wouldnt even consider to do it again in traffic. but as long as u keep a big gap and and are few cars on the road it should be okay
Old 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #9
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
I flat tow a Jeep Wrangler with no problems.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #10

It does drive but it has a wheel bearing out on the front, and they don't have the money to fix it right now.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
TexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud ofTexAggie has much to be proud of

Name: Eric
TexAggie's Tacoma Gallery
My Grandad brought me my 98 with his 05 on a 20' trailer going 85mph on a 200mile trip and did just fine. He just stayed far behind everyone. The only thing he did say was that he got like 10mpg on the trip.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
XMF - Extreme Mexican Food fo Life!
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Name: Lee
fajitas21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My Grandad brought me my 98 with his 05 on a 20' trailer going 85mph on a 200mile trip and did just fine. He just stayed far behind everyone. The only thing he did say was that he got like 10mpg on the trip.
My father-in-law was losing me in hills while pulling a 7000# Travel Trailer and I was pulling a bassboat @ 75mph.

Oddly enough, when he's not towing a trailer, he drives like a grandpa. I guess it just unleashes the beast within....
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
skytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shedskytower is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Gunners Mate
Name: Dave
skytower's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't the curb weight of a tacoma around 4500lbs? Estimate trailer weight around 1000lbs. You are really asking for trouble. It's doable, but you better not be going down any grades or have to stop fast.
Plan your route very carefully!
Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #14
fajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud offajitas21 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Sounds like he's a lunatic. Tell him to slow the F*** down before he kills someone.
He's not a lunatic and it would be impossible for him to kill anyone. He normally drives 55 - 60, he just was gunning it that day.

Thanks for the helpful advice and the troll.

As far as the original poster, a 1000 lbs trailer with no brakes pulling 4k truck. I'd find a friend with a car hauler w/ brakes and do it. If you gotta do it without the brakes, do like the other guys say, do it super early, go super slow and drive in a manner that people understand not to get near you. (Emergency flashers even perhaps).
Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #15

I'd like to retract my previous comments. I enjoy being on this board much more than letting one jackass bother me. I apologize for being rude, I just find it odd you make a comment above regarding someone else towing at 85 mph and then rail on me for my father-in-law doing it.

And to be fair, he was towing the trailer with electric brakes and an F350 diesel. 7000# to that setup is barely even there.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #18

Indeed, I'm normally better at not being trolled, but everyone screws up sometimes.