Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

Towing 2200 lbs 1100 miles, is it safe

Old 02-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
DumInaCan is on a distinguished road
Name: Joe
DumInaCan's Tacoma Gallery
Towing 2200 lbs 1100 miles, is it safe

Hello guys, just looking for some feedback on my truck. I got a 2004 6 cyl prerunner and Im looking to tow a 2000 toyota corolla from New Jersey to Arkansas on a uhaul 1 axle dolly. Will this cause excessive wear on my truck as far as brakes and engine wear etc?

I know the truck can haul 5000lbs according to the owners manual but I believe thats for relatively short distances.

The car weighs about 2200 lbs and the trip is close to 1100 miles.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
I would tow it.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
What does the trailer weigh?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
hetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shedhetkind is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Defense Contract Management Agency
Name: Howard
hetkind's Tacoma Gallery
the corolla only weighs 2k lbs? I would do it...I towed thousands of miles with my four banger 94 toy pickup.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
The dolly can't be more than 500lbs.

Don't try backing up!!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:04 PM   #6
t_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to allt_e is a name known to all
Name: Erik
t_e's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine as the tongue weight of those dollies is nothing. The weight of the car is supported by the dolly wheels and all the truck is really doing is pulling it.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine as long as you don't mind slowing down over big hills.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco-NB View Post
The dolly can't be more than 500lbs.

Don't try backing up!!
My bad, didn't see that part about the dolly and was thinking some of those flat beds can be heavy!

You're good to go!