Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

My homemade tow strap hitch

Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dalton
loaderman82's Tacoma Gallery
My homemade tow strap hitch

I got this piece of 2" stock from work that they was going to throw away, and decided to make a hitch out of it. I let my dad take it to work and have it milled down on the one end, and got it home and primed and painted it. I think it turned out pretty good for free. The pics are what it looked like to begin with and the final product. What do you all think? Now all I need is a good snatch strap.
Attached Thumbnails
My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02274.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02276.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02277.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02278.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02280.jpg  

My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02281.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02283.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02285.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02286.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-dsc02287.jpg  

Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainEarth View Post
That's a weird D-ring. Good recycling.

X2 Nice job
Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
Lets Do It!
wiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shedwiscdave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

wiscdave's Tacoma Gallery
I curious if the load on that d ring would put some force on the pin and cause it to fail?
Old 02-24-2011, 12:54 PM   #6
loaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shedloaderman82 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscdave View Post
I curious if the load on that d ring would put some force on the pin and cause it to fail?

I'm not really sure how much the D-ring is rated for, but if I ever see that it is not strong enough I will get a different one. That is just one that I already had so I thought I would try it.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #7

By the way, if anyone has a way to mill down the end, I might be able to get a few more if they haven't already throwed them away. I would get anybody one if they want for free, you just pay for shipping.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
Airun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shedAirun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
Airun's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, I'd be happy to paypal shipping if u could send one my way. What the heck are those? spikes from a dozer or loader bucket?
Old 02-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #9

They came off a roller. They are the teeth mounted above the roller to clean the mud and clay from between the pads. I will look tomorrow at work and see if I can find some more, and if I can I will get you one. I figure they will ship in a flat rate box for $5, but I don't know that for sure. I will PM you and let you know more tomorrow evening. I figure they weigh about 15-20 pounds.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
nice work
Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #11
Rover is on a distinguished road
Army:
Name: Rover
Rover's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guy nice work. Don't know what the actual rating of the shackle is but I do know that the twisted shackle is rated higher than the equivalant straight shackle.

By the way, don't need the hitch but could I get one of those donuts.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Hey guy nice work. Don't know what the actual rating of the shackle is but I do know that the twisted shackle is rated higher than the equivalant straight shackle.

By the way, don't need the hitch but could I get one of those donuts.

Thanks, I think that my truck would definatly spin out before I broke or bend anything. If you want one of those donuts you will have to take it from my son, but you might come out with a couple of fingers gone!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #13

Should I put the reciever pin in the first hole or the back hole? And I'm being serious, no jokes! I think the first hole would be stronger but it fits in the second hole better. Wow this really sounds bad!
Attached Thumbnails
My homemade tow strap hitch-018.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-021.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #14
Sheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shedSheppymach is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sheppy
Sheppymach's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome way to save $$, looks great. I give shit to my dad all the time to get "reworked" he laughs
Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #15

Here is a picture of some more blocks that I got at work if anybody wants one. Airun has first dibs!
Attached Thumbnails
My homemade tow strap hitch-001.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-002-2-.jpg   My homemade tow strap hitch-004-2-.jpg  
Old 02-25-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Awesome idea! Either hole should be fine.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #17
MartinNYC is on a distinguished road

Name: Marcin
MartinNYC's Tacoma Gallery
dibs on another one, if it's possible for this noob...
i've got a MONSTER clevis that I've been looking for a chunk of steel just like those to bolt it to
Old 02-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinNYC View Post
dibs on another one, if it's possible for this noob...
i've got a MONSTER clevis that I've been looking for a chunk of steel just like those to bolt it to

You may want to check and see what size of pin you have for your clevis, I'm pretty sure that the clevis I got has a 5/8" pin. If your pin is bigger than that, I'm not sure it would fit without being drilled out a little bigger. I gave you a PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #19
MartinNYC is on a distinguished road

Name: Marcin
MartinNYC's Tacoma Gallery
i got your pm, airun has first dibs, i know. I'm not too worried about the size of the pin, a little drilling never hurt no one, and if it looks too big mocked up, i do have a more responsibly sized clevis with about a 5/8" pin.
thanks again
Old 02-28-2011, 06:45 AM   #20
Toyoma
Tacoma2011 is on a distinguished road
Tacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Leave the point on it, keep anyone from rear ending you.