Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

picking up mulch, how much can I carry?

Old 02-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #1
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Name: Daniel
Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
picking up mulch, how much can I carry?

Mulch is WAY WAY cheaper if bought by the yard, versus bags from Home Depot and the like.

How much can I carry in my bed safely without putting too much weight in bed? Can I hold a full yard?

I have a 2007 Double Cab PreRunner short bed.

Can I fill bed up or should I only fill about 1/2 way?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
I would do .5 yards. That is a lot of weight, plus if it was rained in the past week you will have all the water weight as well. you will still most likely be on the bumpstops, but hopefully you don't have far to go.

Edit: google says 1 yard is ~800lbs Assuming you don't have hours of driving I would say get the yard. If you have don the TSB you could for sure do the yard.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #3
wmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shedwmdpowell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
wmdpowell's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie97 View Post
Mulch is WAY WAY cheaper if bought by the yard, versus bags from Home Depot and the like.

How much can I carry in my bed safely without putting too much weight in bed? Can I hold a full yard?

I think somewhere near 1400LBS. I think you would have to pile it on like the "Beverly Hillbilies" before you went past your load limit.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Aggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud ofAggie97 has much to be proud of

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!

I was afraid I posted at a bad time, with the boobie roller coaster post hogging all of the attention to this site. Thanks for taking the time!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
cb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chris
cb0913's Tacoma Gallery
what's wrong with boobies?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #6

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Absolutely NOTHING!!

It actually almost distracted me enough to forget why I got on here in the first place...then I remembered I had a question.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #7
cb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to beholdcb0913 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chris
cb0913's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Absolutely NOTHING!!

It actually almost distracted me enough to forget why I got on here in the first place...then I remembered I had a question.
HA
Old 02-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
topgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtopgun155 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zack
topgun155's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks!

I was afraid I posted at a bad time, with the boobie roller coaster post hogging all of the attention to this site. Thanks for taking the time!
Nah just need to boobie up this thread to equalize things.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
scottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottri is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottri's Tacoma Gallery
I think you could easily get a way with 1/2 yard. Depends on the mulch though, how wet it is. I have it delivered and blown in myself because I hate that shit and I hate having those clowns dump anything into the bed of my truck.

Oh and Hooray for boobies.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #11
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
I put a large blue tarp down, makes getting the bulk mulch out much easier when you get down to the bottom otherwise it gets in everwhere. As said, it isn't at all like the nice dry mulch in the bags. Compost or topsoil I get only one scoop or 1/2 yard, bulk mulch by the yard. Does sit a little lower back there you will know its there.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:12 AM   #12
sioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud of

sioux_hockey_guy's Tacoma Gallery
Do you have the TSB? I was hauling a lot of black dirt last summer and I started with a smaller load and worked my way up to where I was comfortable. I was taking a full scoop from a skid steer but it was really wet so there was a lot of weight there. Be sure to slow way down for bumps too.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #13

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for all of the replies. I think I'll go for full yard if its dry mulch, but if really wet, I'll get them to cut it back to a 1/2 yard, even if it takes a couple of trips.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:24 AM   #14

Aggie97's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sioux_hockey_guy View Post
Do you have the TSB? I was hauling a lot of black dirt last summer and I started with a smaller load and worked my way up to where I was comfortable. I was taking a full scoop from a skid steer but it was really wet so there was a lot of weight there. Be sure to slow way down for bumps too.
No TSB yet, but I will use this as an excuse to tell wife I HAVE to get one, with 5100's in front and bigger tires. All to make her flowerbeds look better. I'm so selfless.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:39 AM   #15
Fitz
kjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkjf216 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kjf216's Tacoma Gallery
i put 2yds which is the bed filled with a mound on top with no problems it sits low but not on the bump stops. one time i had almost 2.5 yd or really fine wet mulch still didnt sit on the bump stops. so feel free to fill the bed.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #16
sioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud ofsioux_hockey_guy has much to be proud of

sioux_hockey_guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No TSB yet, but I will use this as an excuse to tell wife I HAVE to get one, with 5100's in front and bigger tires. All to make her flowerbeds look better. I'm so selfless.
Sounds like you've got it figured out..
Old 03-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #17
newtacoguy is on a distinguished road

newtacoguy's Tacoma Gallery

Quote:

You can carry a yard fine, I've done it. That is all that will fit in the bed anyhow.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I'll 2nd what Simons Mom has said... Put a blue tarp down in the bed first.

Not sure what a *yard* compares to a *scoop*.....

I've had a full scoop in my bed many times. If you level it out, it fills the bed. I have the TSB springs on my truck and it drops maybe 1" (my truck has 1" rake to begin with ).

I drive around the yard and shovel it right off the truck onto the landscaping.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #19
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
the guy running the loader should have a decent idea what you cannot do. mulch is light..but volumeous.
Old 03-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #20
Cummins is on a distinguished road
Name: Robert
Cummins's Tacoma Gallery
Well a skid steer bucket is roughly equal to 1yd so I would think that you would be able to haul a bucket at a time.

Robert