Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Towing

Notices

How heavy is too dangerous without brakes

Old 03-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #1
Digger2 is on a distinguished road
Digger2's Tacoma Gallery
How heavy is too dangerous without brakes

Hello all, I am just wondering how heavy of a utility trailer loaded with 2 quads and gear can I pull with my '08 Tacoma TRD DC without electric brakes?? The trailer itself weight is like 1000lbs and each quad is around 700lbs plus gear say another 200-400lbs. So all in total 2800lbs total weight be hind the Taco. Is this to much?? I am considering buying electric brake kit for my trailer as it has the brackets on the axle to support brakes. What do you guys think? Do I really need brakes for this much weight, cost is going to be around $400 to set everything up. Thanks.....
Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
offroad05taco will become famous soon enoughoffroad05taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Corey
offroad05taco's Tacoma Gallery
You definatly do not need to worry about that, it will pull it fine.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Brakes would make it more comfortable, especially if you tow through mountains. With that kind of weight, I wouldn't want to make a habit of towing without brakes, it'll just chew up the truck brakes and make for a some much longer stopping distances.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
offroad05taco will become famous soon enoughoffroad05taco will become famous soon enough
Name: Corey
offroad05taco's Tacoma Gallery
Yea sorry I'm in the flatlands of NC. I know it's alot different with mountains.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 PM   #5
Digger2's Tacoma Gallery
No worries about mountains here in Ontario, but I know what your sayin'. I just felt the trucks brakes seemed a little on the weak side when stopping with this load and didn't know if I was doing something a little dangerous or not. I do pull this load 10-15 times a year about 300 miles each way, so I didn't know if I should be putting brakes on this trailer or not. This is why I come to TW to get my answers. Thanks to all who have posted....
Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #6
Taco Lover
tegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shedtegdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tegdog's Tacoma Gallery
What is the max capacity of the trailer, the rule of thumb I have heard in the past was < 3000lb no need for trailer brakes. How fast you drive, how closely you follow, type of terrain (hills), distance all factor in as well.

I think you would be fine @ 2800lbs w/o trailer brakes but a little heavier throw in a few hills & I would feel better with that extra security of trailer brakes, even if you do everything right it only takes one idiot to pull out in front of you to ruin your trip.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
In CA anything over 1500lbs needs brakes but no one ever follows that law.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:16 PM   #8
sailreno is on a distinguished road
sailreno's Tacoma Gallery
The trailer brake law is different from state to state, so you should consult with a local RV/Trailer dealer for your states requirements. California is the strictest with a 1500 # requirement for electric brakes, but they are not alone.
Old 03-08-2011, 03:23 AM   #9
FoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shedFoxySandChick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kristin
FoxySandChick's Tacoma Gallery
I towed a 16ft flat bed with 3 quads (400lbs each) plus a little extra in the bed, similar weight to you, without trailer brakes and it handled just fine even in the hills.
But I don't do it regularly and it was only about 200 miles round trip, if I did it more often I'd consider adding trailer brakes just to keep down the wear on the truck.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #10
Digger2's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks again to all for your input on this topic, it's appreciated.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #11
Back in the game!
Wile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shedWile is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
Wile's Tacoma Gallery
You'll be fine, but your emergency stopping distances will greatly increase. Don't follow too close.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
That's heavy enough that I'd prefer to tow it with brakes, but would not cancel my trip if I did not have them.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #13
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
Just keep a distance and don't drive fast. I have towed cars on my buddy's trailer with my tacoma on multiple occasions (~4500 lbs) without trailer brakes (my truck isn't wired for them.) I always keep a safe distance when I'm towing a trailer regardless of its size.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:01 PM   #14
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I have the automatic also. While towing a 16' loaded up fishing boat down a pretty steep mountain road (2'500 foot elevation gain) I just just take advantage of the engine braking and downshift once in a while instead of constantly useing the brakes...works fine.